Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Somewhat surprised to find U75 posters united in favour of greedy landowners!
Where?

you're looking at this from a very inner London perspective
Personally no, I'm not. I've seen first hand what happens when developers get carte blanche in rural East Anglia and it's a shitshow. Yes houses get built, but common problems include:
  • Obvious corruption (permission being given in locations like flood plains)
  • Fuck all forward planning (estates being plonked down way out of town with no transport connections or nearby amenities)
  • Zero standards being imposed (build quality regularly shockingly poor, no effort at eco-friendly construction)
  • Developers being allowed to build purely on a max-profit basis (ie. semi and detached houses with tiny gardens which score high on estate agents' books but are utterly useless for a problem that is primarily sited at the lower end of the market)
What this will do is supercharge developer power in an already incoherent sector without making any inroads into the actual problems at hand.

Where?

Personally no, I'm not. I've seen first hand what happens when developers get carte blanche in rural East Anglia and it's a shitshow. Yes houses get built, but common problems include:
  • Obvious corruption (permission being given in locations like flood plains)
  • Fuck all forward planning (estates being plonked down way out of town with no transport connections or nearby amenities)
  • Zero standards being imposed (build quality regularly shockingly poor, no effort at eco-friendly construction)
  • Developers being allowed to build purely on a max-profit basis (ie. semi and detached houses with tiny gardens which score high on estate agents' books but are utterly useless for a problem that is primarily sited at the lower end of the market)
What this will do is supercharge developer power in an already incoherent sector without making any inroads into the actual problems at hand.
But this particular policy isn't about 'giving developers carte blanche' - it's about allowing councils to assemble land more cheaply. I completely agree with you that it has to be combined with other reforms to the planning and development system to address the points you make, but if we were going to sit down and write a genuinely progressive set of policies for housebuilding this would be one of them.

Read page 49 of the Land for the Many report: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/12081_19-Land-for-the-Many.pdf

Making development cheaper in this way would bring all sorts of benefits - not least making it harder for developers to wriggle out of providing a percentage of affordable housing on the basis of scheme viability. Think this is a genuinely good Labour policy - or the start of one anyway - so should be broadly welcomed.

What do you think happens in a situation where councils which are already often highly corrupt and severely leveraged by developer power get hold of the ability not to build, but to buy and sell on? I think you're being incredibly naive here tbh. I don't give a fuck about the cobweb left take on matters, they're neither in charge of the Starmer-era plan nor were they ever particularly good at spotting this shit. What is actually being proposed here, in this case, is a wet dream for the brown envelope brigade.

You have areal point: to take one instance, by digitising medicine delivery to patients, if/when there is an IT fail/hack the delivery would fail, as the prescription would only be on the computerised record hence unavailable. Whereas if a paper chart goes missing the digital record is available as a back up
Last I heard the NHS computers still run Windows XP

What do you think happens in a situation where councils which are already often highly corrupt and severely leveraged by developer power get hold of the ability not to build, but to buy and sell on? I think you're being incredibly naive here tbh. I don't give a fuck about the cobweb left take on matters, they're neither in charge of the Starmer-era plan nor were they ever particularly good at spotting this shit. What is actually being proposed here, in this case, is a brown envelope wet dream.
This hasn't got a lot to do with the 'cobweb left' - that report was written by a load of academics and land rights activists.

This is good because it lets councils buy land cheaply. That enables councils to have more power about how that land is developed. Of course there are corrupt councils and useless councils but in principle this sort of policy is needed if we're ever going to see a big expansion of social housing and/or affordable housing. It allows the local state to take the driving seat in development rather than just landowners and developers. Of course councils have to be held to account over this and yes plenty of other policy changes will be necessary to get the most of of it but it's genuinely a step in the right direction. The current model just allows landowners to insist on vast sums for agricultural land.

You have areal point: to take one instance, by digitising medicine delivery to patients, if/when there is an IT fail/hack the delivery would fail, as the prescription would only be on the computerised record hence unavailable. Whereas if a paper chart goes missing the digital record is available as a back up

Having worked around paper prescriptions they are an absolute nightmare at times especially when needing to get any controlled medication from pharmacies as you couldn't email them.

I think they should un-digitise the NHS. A lot more actual care would get done on the wards if there was just a clipboard on the end of the bed for staff to record stuff on, so they didn't keep having to go and find a computer to type everything up.
Not worked wards, but I could think nothing worse of going back to paper records as they are an absolute nightmare and much harder to access when working across different services when you need information quickly. I think staff do a lot of care.

Not sure if I'm missing sarcasm here as having someone standing at the end of my bed writing my notes awkwardly doesn't sound particularly therapeutic either. Plus a nightmare for confidentiality.

Having worked around paper prescriptions they are an absolute nightmare at times especially when needing to get any controlled medication from pharmacies as you couldn't email them.

Not worked wards, but I could think nothing worse of going back to paper records as they are an absolute nightmare and much harder to access when working across different services when you need information quickly. I think staff do a lot of care.

Not sure if I'm missing sarcasm here as having someone standing at the end of my bed writing my notes awkwardly doesn't sound particularly therapeutic either. Plus a nightmare for confidentiality.

Apparently the digital record keeping would be fine if only there were enough computers available on wards and they all worked. Can't be beyond the wit of man to give staff tablets/mobile gizmos they can use to record stuff as they go along. The issue there is hygiene, but the same applies to shared computers.

I know about CDs: I am talking about the resilience of having more than one back up if/when systems go down: indeed just that happened in one place I worked at. Who is talking about writing notes? I am talking about signing a chart. But you and the church of Christ digital will not be convinced. Fair enough

Sorry: I was probably subconsciously thinking of an RS bell-end on here I have finally put on ignore when I should have done it long ago!

Its ok.

You are free of them now, so you can continue to make fun of the victims of Hillsborough without them rebuking you.

Apparently the digital record keeping would be fine if only there were enough computers available on wards and they all worked. Can't be beyond the wit of man to give staff tablets/mobile gizmos they can use to record stuff as they go along. The issue there is hygiene, but the same applies to shared computers.
There are mobile gizmos actually (when charged) which record each prescription as given. I am thinking of when they don’t work either by IT meltdown or deliberate sabotage.

Its ok.

You are free of them now so you can continue to make fun of the victims of Hillsborough without them rebuking you.
I have great respect for the victims of Hillsborough, one was a friend. It’s actually Heysel that bothers me. That you can make such a despicable allegation about me shows in this case my subconscious was correct. Learning from experience I’ll now put you on ignore too. Thanks for the abuse though, much appreciated.

I have great respect for the victims of Hillsborough, one was a friend. It’s actually Heysel that bothers me. That you can make such a despicable allegation about me shows in this case my subconscious was correct. Learning from experience I’ll now put you on ignore too. Thanks for the abuse though, much appreciated.

Perhaps out of your great respect you could stop writing “always the victims” all over the place then.

Ah fair that does make make sense I agree. It always shocks me how workplaces always bang on about efficiency, but then provide inadequate tech that is slow and generally shite wasting loads of time.
I know about CDs: I am talking about the resilience of having more than one back up if/when systems go down: indeed just that happened in one place I worked at. Who is talking about writing notes? I am talking about signing a chart. But you and the church of Christ digital will not be convinced. Fair enough
The notes part was replying to SF not you. Off to dream about electric sheep now.

Back
Top Bottom