Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Shammer's 'solution' will be worse than your current affliction so once again a better position would be fuck the brum lp and fuck shammer.

Agreed,
If you think the people of brum have been treated with contempt already you'll find shammer's lot will treat them with hitherto unseen levels of contempt in future. If you find yourself agreeing with shammer something has gone desperately wrong with your moral and political compass

It’s possible to walk and chew gum at the same time as, I thought I’d made clear, in the last paragraph of my post.

Labour shooting itself in the foot again, although I'm not sure that any tories would be criticized for taking a business class flight.

Addressing the nations concerns again, whoever I speak to is always complaining that we need someone to restore our economic dignity at home and abroad. Rather than say paying the rent.

Labour shooting itself in the foot again, although I'm not sure that any tories would be criticized for taking a business class flight.

Addressing the nations concerns again, whoever I speak to is always complaining that we need someone to restore our economic dignity at home and abroad. Rather than say paying the rent.
surprised labour have any feet left

Saw this No more missing records or letters lost in the post – I will bring in a totally digital NHS | Keir Starmer and read it carefully and there's no mention of 'and we will increase the nhs budget to pay for this ai and digital revolution' or even 'we will ensure the staffing crisis in the nhs ends'. It's going to be attempted on the Tory spending plans - the nhs is as safe in shammer's hands as it is in Tory ones.
He also hasn't got a clue about the colossal amount of work this would involve, analysis, programming, development, testing, analysing it all over again because it didn't work, extending the scope of the project, paying consultants exorbitant fees, changing course a few more times and then finally implementing half the plan in half the hospitals and surgeries for ten times the expected cost.

It all sounds great (not really) until you consider all those people without computers, all those with mental illness, learning disabilities, dementia. The bloke's a pollock.

ETA. For 'pollock' read 'pillock'.
Quite. Lots of older people refuse to engage with digital technology - they won’t even use telephone banking let alone smartphone apps, so good luck getting them to make appointments on their phones too.

Considering that the NHS’ history with IT failures, I can’t see this going well

Yes but if it's all digital they'll be able to do this sort of thing automatically, much more often, and much more efficiently.

The action quickly clogged up the system and was exacerbated by users hitting "reply all" to complain.
:D

He also hasn't got a clue about the colossal amount of work this would involve, analysis, programming, development, testing, analysing it all over again because it didn't work, extending the scope of the project, paying consultants exorbitant fees, changing course a few more times and then finally implementing half the plan in half the hospitals and surgeries for ten times the expected cost.
I worked on a huge NHS IT project for a very large tech company back in the day. I then did some smaller-scale stuff for a PCT (as was) and later yet knew people working on another huge NHS IT project for a different tech company.

Everybody (hospitals, GPs, district nurses, school nurses etc etc) uses different systems and specs and processes. Things just don't talk to each other, meaning huge amounts of manual work for all kinds of stuff. The sheer size and complexity of the NHS and the scale of the problem are pretty mind boggling.

Great to hear Starmer's going to sort it all out. :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Could be some interesting moves in Leeds.
The dreadful Rachel Reeve's constituency of West Leeds is disappearing, Pudsey, Leeds North West and Leeds Central are being changed and a new constituency of Headingley created (which will become my constituency).

You'd imagine Headingley will be a super safe Labour seat, and Leeds Central (currently Hilary Benn) will likely remain safe, Pudsey (Conservative at the moment but a marginal) is probably going more Labour and with Labour polling what they are at the moment there probably won't be that much infighting but will be marginally interesting to see what Reeves and Benn end up with.

I can't see any way in which this marrying of Thatcherite house ownership dogmas, four decades taking money and direct build powers away from councils, and the legendary greed of the housing development market with a statutory land-grab of prime plots for below market rates might produce incredible amounts of corruption. No way at all.

1685440306207.png

The tragedy is this would be a good idea if you did it alongside a revival of council house building and the ditching of right to buy. but it ain't. It's just a "council gets land cheap, developers whack in their back handers, job's a good un" shitfest in the making.

I can't see any way in which this marrying of Thatcherite house ownership dogmas, four decades taking money and direct build powers away from councils, and the legendary greed of the housing development market with a statutory land-grab of prime plots for below market rates might produce incredible amounts of corruption. No way at all.

View attachment 376916

The tragedy is this would be a good idea if you did it alongside a revival of council house building and the ditching of right to buy. but it ain't. It's just a "council gets land cheap, developers whack in their back handers, job's a good un" shitfest in the making.
as an aside, the use of 'reform' when what they mean is 'change' pisses me off, reforms are supposed to make things better whereas this proposal or the various 'reforms' of the nhs unfailingly make things worse

View attachment 376916

The thought of Lambeth council ever having that power terrifies me. It is also thoroughly dishonest of Labour to pretend this is aimed at landowners hoarding building land; its pretty blatantly aimed at people who were lucky enough to be able to afford an ex council house / social house on a desirable estate (like the Churchill Gardens) during right to buy and who still live there, or those who managed to get one of the properties built during Livingstone's time in otherwise swanky developments.

The thought of Lambeth council ever having that power terrifies me. It is also thoroughly dishonest of Labour to pretend this is aimed at landowners hoarding building land; its pretty blatantly aimed at people who were lucky enough to be able to afford an ex council house / social house on a desirable estate (like the Churchill Gardens) during right to buy and who still live there, or those who managed to get one of the properties built during Livingstone's time in otherwise swanky developments.
While the devil will be in the details I think this is very much about totally undeveloped land, and you're looking at this from a very inner London perspective. This combined with a big push on building social housing could be a gamechanger - while I'm deeply cynical of Starmer I don't think we should automatically assume that every single decent-sounding Labour policy is a cover for evil. Somewhat surprised to find U75 posters united in favour of greedy landowners!

And perhaps should note that this is a Corbyn-era policy - not sure if it made it into the 2019 manifesto but was a key ask in the 'Land for the Many' report commissioned under Corbyn.

I think they should un-digitise the NHS. A lot more actual care would get done on the wards if there was just a clipboard on the end of the bed for staff to record stuff on, so they didn't keep having to go and find a computer to type everything up.
You have areal point: to take one instance, by digitising medicine delivery to patients, if/when there is an IT fail/hack the delivery would fail, as the prescription would only be on the computerised record hence unavailable. Whereas if a paper chart goes missing the digital record is available as a back up

Back
Top Bottom