Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

it's quite a standard play in the media - get hold of an idea that some loosely aligned think tank has come up with, put it to party leader - natural reaction is to say 'we will think about it', then it gets spun as 'party is going to do this stupid thing' then gets spun as 'party makes a u-turn' when it gets ruled out. seem to remember corbyn getting stung with a few like that.

was it ever really a plan, or an idea that floated to the surface in some think tank or something?
Pledged in 2020

Pledged in 2020

I do remember this.

I was pleasantly surprised to read this morning he was going forward on this.

Then read teqniq post and realised it is one of Starmer typical gambits. Make it known he is going to do something positive and then row back on it. And hope one does not join up the dots.

This works for busy people like me. I try to keep up on current affairs but cant all the time.

So its 50 50 if I miss it.

I cant help feeling that Starmer and his advisors are the most cynical of political actors.

It does work up to a point. But at work recently one of my workmates ( who is hardly a Corbynite) was laying into Starmer for reneging on his pledges. Starmer is banking on everyone forgetting about that. My friend partner works in NHS. So he is not impressed by way Starmer is not supporting strikers.

Starmer advisors might think they are being clever. But imo not all average Labour voters are buying it.

The problem for Starmer is when he gets into power. He might have only small majority. If he does not deliver quickly this Centrist Dad politics is not going to work

Last edited:
and realised it is one of Starmer typical gambits. Make it known he is going to do something positive and then row back on it. And hope one does not join up the dots.

does it work though?

the way it's happened, seems to have the potential to piss off people who disagree with it by 'announcing' it (and they won't then notice the rowing back), then piss off people who agreed with it by rowing back.

and adds to the impression of indecisive / fence sitting / trying to be all things to all people

does it work though?

the way it's happened, seems to have the potential to piss off people who disagree with it by 'announcing' it (and they won't then notice the rowing back), then piss off people who agreed with it by rowing back.

and adds to the impression of indecisive / fence sitting / trying to be all things to all people

I agree. That is Starmers problem

Recently mainstream interviewers have been giving him harder questioning and imo he cannot deal with it.

Its like the impression on his face is I got rid of Corbyn, moved the party back to Centrist Dad and why are you giving me a hard time.

Its like he feels he has done everything expected of him and he should get free pass to being the PM.

Regardless of whether it's cynical chain-yanking by Starmer's Labour, or a trap set up by a hostile media, it's another example of how not actually standing for anything hurts in the long run. If they wanted to, they could have said, "yes, EU nationals who work here and pay taxes should have a say in our nation's politics, have you got a problem with that, pal?". It might have got the Daily Mail types frothing at the mouth, but they were never going to vote Labour anyway.

My... ahem... local paper takes a quick dig at the twat Starmer :thumbs: Starmer’s mobile: the Muckery leaves a message
shammer's stonking lead in the polls will evaporate over the course of a general election campaign as people actually pay attention to what he's saying. what happens to him if the tories win another election? turfed out to spend the rest of his days in the jeremy corbyn memorial home for broken down party leaders?

shammer's stonking lead in the polls will evaporate over the course of a general election campaign as people actually pay attention to what he's saying. what happens to him if the tories win another election? turfed out to spend the rest of his days in the jeremy corbyn memorial home for broken down party leaders?
Rightwing leaders of the LP who attack the left are rewarded. Look at Kinnock as an example.

Hang on, has he u turned on the u turn?

policy making process in action

giphy.gif

Tbh even if they'd voted it wouldn't have made a difference.

What happens after the next election is more important.

Sadly it might be the same shit though, 😞

Lisa Nandy and Starker are now rowing back on giving local authorities powers to bring in rent controls

This isn't even an issue about government finances. Supporting renters instead of landlords not going to cost labour anything.

I suppose fact that evil Corbyn supported rent controls is another reason Starmer has gone back on this. Yet another way to show clear blue water between Starmer and Corbyn.

Scotland SNP is trying out rent control. Much to annoyance of landlords. Who feel they are being "discriminated" against. And they reckon they have renter's best interests at heart. Laughable.

Lisa Nandy and Starker are now rowing back on giving local authorities powers to bring in rent controls

This isn't even an issue about government finances. Supporting renters instead of landlords not going to cost labour anything.

Except the significant number of Labour MPs who are landlords...

Back
Top Bottom