Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

No it is not.

As the Wikipedia states

And the own page on AV

AV+ does has some proportionality but the strength AV that was voted for at the 2011 referendum was not a proportional system, and in fact AV can be even less proportional than FPTP. (EDIT: and that paragraph you've quoted is not from the referendum page so thick and dishonest)

But yeah it is everyone else who is think, stupid and informed.

It's the same fucking thing.

And it's 'thick'.

edit: I get your point, but it's the closest we came a to a full German/New Zealand style. And 70% of the electorate rejected it. Or couldn't be arsed to vote on it. For whatever reason.

Amazing, gabi's combination of ignorance, stupidity and arrogance means that he can't even accept the fucking articles saying in black and white that AV is not proportional.

If I recall rightly there was the idea of extremists getting power being promulgated so there was opposition to AV. Just as well we kept the extremists out isn't it? Has the Starmtrooper made any mention of PR yet?

If I recall rightly there was the idea of extremists getting power being promulgated so there was opposition to AV. Just as well we kept the extremists out isn't it? Has the Starmtrooper made any mention of PR yet?

The party in power is never going to want to change a voting system that just got them elected. The only chance of changing it is for a junior coalition partner to force a referendum, a chance the lib dems actually had but completely bottled.

Even if actual PR had been on the ticket though, both major parties and the entire press would have gone all project fear against it. Oh it'll just be endless coalitions, once there's no longer a way for a party with less than half the votes to control more than half of parliament.

Has the Starmtrooper made any mention of PR yet?
One of the differences between Blair and Starmer is that Blair made at least a pretence at offering a reforming government. Some things, like more autonomy for Scotland and Wales, were actually carried out (though plenty more was not). Starmer on the other hand offers literally no change at all. If he's trying to mimic Blair he's not even good at it.

FtH7uYrWAAYHJGA

One of the differences between Blair and Starmer is that Blair made at least a pretence at offering a reforming government. Some things, like more autonomy for Scotland and Wales, were actually carried out (though plenty more was not). Starmer on the other hand offers literally no change at all. If he's trying to mimic Blair he's not even good at it.

tbf there is i think going to be a new wave of devolution - im pretty sure this sets out the plan
i havent read it...actually i might ask Ai to summarise it :D

there is also some kind of green new deal industrial strategy mooted
---

according to AI

The Labour Party’s report on renewing democracy and rebuilding the economy sets out 40 recommendations for constitutional change in the UK. These recommendations cover rights, devolution within England, devolution to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, intergovernmental cooperation, and reform of the House of Lords1.

Some of the specific recommendations include replacing the House of Lords with an elected chamber, new rules to end the undue influence of wealth and foreign money, preventing MPs from part-timing their jobs, and tighter enforcement of rules with a new integrity commission for politicians and public life2. The report also proposes creating constitutionally enshrined social rights such as rights to free healthcare and education, a right to receive social welfare and not live in poverty, and rights to adequate housing1.

Last edited:
The great British public were unfortunately either too thick or not informed well enough to understand the benefits of PR. Something like 30% voted for it when the referendum eventually happened. I mean I love this country, but that and the Brexit thing does make you wonder how fucking stupid the electorate is.

A better media campaign to actually tell people of the benefits would have been a good idea. From memory they overcomplicated it.
FFS. If you don't get the result you want, over PR or brexit it's because people are too thick or not well informed enough. You just can't cope with people not sharing your value set. It's a grim approach.

He hasn't got the Blair-flair or his poster-friendly frank white toothy grin. Blair felt like a change (briefly) whereas Starmer feels like a One Nation Tory. Every time I see Starmer, an image of him with a red gnome's hat flashes past my mind and I can't reset it.

that ad is fucking grim. what were they thinking? glad im not in a marginal so there is no amoral imperitive to vote for them cos "tory's out".

Interesting piece by Starmers ex Head of Policy:

The key section is “The emphasis on blue-collar economics is a necessary shift for the center-left. But it needs to be matched with an orientation to blue-collar society and representation to move the dial with working-class voters. Voters care about better jobs, better wages, more opportunities and lower costs — of course they do. But they also want lower crime, managed immigration and access to better health care.”

Notable is the admission is that a return to pro- working class economics is necessary. As the article notes Starmer has built a lead with working class voters, but I’d argue it’s neither a convincing or secure one

Back
Top Bottom