Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Angela Raynor would be the obvious candidate - working class, good people skills, witty, popular, good communicator and with an eye catching back story - a perfect riposte to posh, elite johnson in a way starmer could never be. Leftish without being as scary as Jezza. Surprised she didnt go for it last time. She's also driven and ambitious - so wouldn't be at all surprised if we see close associates of her briefing against kieth in the near future.
I've known her for years . She's not a boat rocker, won't fight the right wing in the party and won't strike the first blow. If she stood she'd be heavily chaperoned.

I don't want to go down some macho nonsense route of thinking politicians have to vigorous, manly or similar shite. But oh my, if you go to a boxing club and know you'll be faced with a photo op like that you either do it properly or you ham it up. Johnson of course is rather good at the hammy approach, 'biffing' labour when it's boxing, clearing a kid out when it's rugby. Needless to say, the stuff that johnson is good it is part of the reason I hate 'politics', but even so, kieth needs a bit of awareness of how he's going to come across if his boxing A-Game makes him look like a couch potato on his first day at the gym. :facepalm:
Blair would have had a private practice session first.

Sur Kieth- the Michael Howard of Labour's wilderness years.

I was thinking today that he’s the William Hague, someone the party had great hopes in but turns out to be a bit ineffectual and shite. Has he tried donning a baseball cap yet?

. Whereas he may be especially incompetent as a leader, who else who is likely to take over who will do anything substantially different?

The answer is Burnham, but obviously not someone they can just drop in as not currently an MP. Longer term I think he’s in with a shout, someone reasonably effective at communicating with the public.

I was thinking today that he’s the William Hague, someone the party had great hopes in but turns out to be a bit ineffectual and shite. Has he tried donning a baseball cap yet?
Hague was famous/infamous for drinking a large number of pints at a Young Tory conference, or something similar.

Starmer seems to be trying to become famous for being photographed frequently holding a full pint, but never actually drinking anything.

Hauge was just a joke- a shattered Tory Party's utterly pathetic attempt to try and do Tony Blair. Howard works as a comparison, as he's exactly the kind of clever-clever, intellectually sharp but ultimately lacking the common touch, charismatically bypassed, and voter-repellant QC.

Howard is by all accounts a better lawyer, too. Imagine waking up and finding out you're a weak echo of a forgotten and deeply unpopular former Leader of the Opposition.

Yeah I'd expect that whenever it does become obvious to them it's not working, their first instinct is going to be that Starmer hasn't gone far enough - they'll double down before they'll change direction.
Keep saying it, any challenge to SKS comes from the right initially. Scorpion/frog analogy.
The left may have the numbers to get someone on the ballot (assuming they stick together - not sure the likes of Tarry or Russell-Moyle are gonna necessarily go with the Campaign Group line) but it's the right who will knife Starmer first

Guardian article recommending that Labour needs to be left wing to win.

"...a cautious, moderate platform looks to be neither an economically appropriate stance, nor an electorally winning one."

I’m sure this is correct, but the problem for Labour is it is utterly unable to dictate a narrative. We now have the Tories claiming that they do economic intervention better (they do it a bit shit and unfairly) but if Labour tried to outdo that it would soon be portrayed as profligate, the ‘magic money tree’ would be wheeled out, as if the UK’s finance makes any sense as it is.

Maybe a line could be that the Tories aren’t delivering the Brexit people voted for and are delivering the failures people feared. Try to lead the debate on what good looks like for ‘independent’ UK (or what will be left of it) from here.

A true Man Of The People would be eating them with his fingers. :rolleyes:

I disagree, fork is acceptable. However, he’s got the wrong type. Has to be either a small blue plastic one, or one of those equally small wooden ones.

I disagree, fork is acceptable. However, he’s got the wrong type. Has to be either a small blue plastic one, or one of those equally small wooden ones.
It is a small white plastic one, you can see clearly from the other people. I guess its a north-east thing, the wrong colour, but it really should be wooden if he is to maintain his environmentalist reputation.

indeed, out of newspaper - I was being generous :)
I'm not sure I've seen newspaper in a chip shop for about 15 years. I even had chips at Beamish and they had greaseproof paper printed to look like newspaper.

He should, of course, be eating winkles with a toothpick.

Think it not legal anymore cos of hygiene. Or mebbe it was some bloody EU directive that we can now gloriously ignore.

It is a small white plastic one, you can see clearly from the other people. I guess its a north-east thing, the wrong colour, but it really should be wooden if he is to maintain his environmentalist reputation.

It's a standard white plastic fork. Has to be a chip fork.

MAJ011-210x210.jpg

Back
Top Bottom