Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

How long can sir kieth hold on if /when Labour get flattened in hartlepool? Surely will be the start of some serious discontent from the unions and PLP?

How long can sir kieth hold on if /when Labour get flattened in hartlepool? Surely will be the start of some serious discontent from the unions and PLP?
It would have started already, since no-one expects them to win. Maybe if there was a good candidate waiting in the wings, but Labour are bereft of any sort of competent talent. Who would they push for?

Its from Sept 2017

Scottish Labour leadership: Anas Sarwar denies being 'one of the few' | Senscot
Anas Sarwar claims family business doesn't pay living wage because it doesn't have to | The National

When asked why United Wholesale did not currently pay the real living wage to all staff, Mr Sarwar responded: "The difference is that I don’t support a voluntary real living wage.
"I support a mandatory real living wage. I don’t think it is right that the market dictates what a fair day’s pay is. That is why I want it to be a compulsory policy."

Last edited:
It would have started already, since no-one expects them to win. Maybe if there was a good candidate waiting in the wings, but Labour are bereft of any sort of competent talent. Who would they push for?

Angela Raynor would be the obvious candidate - working class, good people skills, witty, popular, good communicator and with an eye catching back story - a perfect riposte to posh, elite johnson in a way starmer could never be. Leftish without being as scary as Jezza. Surprised she didnt go for it last time. She's also driven and ambitious - so wouldn't be at all surprised if we see close associates of her briefing against kieth in the near future.

I don't see any chance of Starmer going anywhere between now and the next election. He's doing exactly what Labourist common sense dictates and non of them understand why it's not working. Apart from the likes of Richard Burgon, he's not getting any push back from the PLP. Whereas he may be especially incompetent as a leader, who else who is likely to take over who will do anything substantially different?

It's a lot harder to depose a Labour leader, though. Think he pretty much has to resign.
A leadership contest can be triggered by 20% of the PLP nominating another MP for leader. I'm not sure how the membership would vote if that happened this time round, but it seems unlikely Starmer would increase his majority like Corbyn did when he was challenged.

I don't see any chance of Starmer going anywhere between now and the next election. He's doing exactly what Labourist common sense dictates and non of them understand why it's not working. Apart from the likes of Richard Burgon, he's not getting any push back from the PLP. Whereas he may be especially incompetent as a leader, who else who is likely to take over who will do anything substantially different?

Yeah I'd expect that whenever it does become obvious to them it's not working, their first instinct is going to be that Starmer hasn't gone far enough - they'll double down before they'll change direction.

There's a man who's never in all his born days worn a pair of boxing gloves. He looks so fucking bemused by them, like he just put them on and is thinking so this is what boxing gloves feel like.

Jesus fucking christ he's so fucking useless at photo ops. He makes Ed Milliband look comfortable in front of a camera.
To be fair, his shirts must be taking a battering at the moment: tie on, tie off, sleeves rolled up, pint after pint, curry sauce drips off his chips, wrestling with a pub owner...

ok I was wrong he is truly a man of the people, he eats fish and chips out of cardboard boxes in a not-at-all-staged-photo.

All hail our leader.

View attachment 266483
That actually his family? or were they just poor sods minding their own business who got roped in?
This I don't think losing this by-election even if combined with poor LE results is likely to topple him. Brown, Milliband and Corbyn all failed to be election winners and Labour are kind of desperate for a winner and there isn't really any obvious choice waiting in the wings.
There will be mutterings against even now and it will only get louder if (or after) he loses. If the 2022 LE is a flop and there is another disastrous by-election then he might end up getting toppled which can only start yet another messy and public power struggle within the Labour Party.
But at the moment I suspect he is going to have to lose the next GE (at the moment I'd put money on him not doing so) before he goes.

To be fair, his shirts must be taking a battering at the moment: tie on, tie off, sleeves rolled up, pint after pint, curry sauce drips off his chips, wrestling with a pub owner...
Perhaps he can claim them on expenses

check out the video :D

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

although tbf it is an accurate representation of labour "fighting for every vote", which could only be bettered if he'd somehow managed to punch himself in the face

I don't want to go down some macho nonsense route of thinking politicians have to vigorous, manly or similar shite. But oh my, if you go to a boxing club and know you'll be faced with a photo op like that you either do it properly or you ham it up. Johnson of course is rather good at the hammy approach, 'biffing' labour when it's boxing, clearing a kid out when it's rugby. Needless to say, the stuff that johnson is good it is part of the reason I hate 'politics', but even so, kieth needs a bit of awareness of how he's going to come across if his boxing A-Game makes him look like a couch potato on his first day at the gym. :facepalm:

Guardian article recommending that Labour needs to be left wing to win.

"...a cautious, moderate platform looks to be neither an economically appropriate stance, nor an electorally winning one."
starmer's going to end despised by the left, we all knew that. but he'll be held in contempt by the right too.

Back
Top Bottom