Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Have any other Unite members been bombarded with requests to represent the union with the Labour Party in their area?
I have had five emails in the last two weeks saying my support is needed as the country slips further to the right. I have also been promised the opportunity to join said Labour Party, complete with application form.
Strange they didn’t want my input fifteen years ago.

Have any other Unite members been bombarded with requests to represent the union with the Labour Party in their area?
I have had five emails in the last two weeks saying my support is needed as the country slips further to the right. I have also been promised the opportunity to join said Labour Party, complete with application form.

Yes :D also from the Labour Party itself wanting me to stand in local elections even though I've resigned.

They're not proud are they :)

I think right now with the pandemic & the vaccination programme going ok people are seeing little more than just that. They don’t want the boat rocking they just want life to get back to normal. It difficult to oppose much the government is doing beyond the pandemic response. The high death rate has happened & is now much lower. I am ok to bide my time at the moment & judge Labour’s performance much nearer to the next GE.
This definitely explains the uptick in support for the Greens

I think right now with the pandemic & the vaccination programme going ok people are seeing little more than just that. They don’t want the boat rocking they just want life to get back to normal. It difficult to oppose much the government is doing beyond the pandemic response. The high death rate has happened & is now much lower. I am ok to bide my time at the moment & judge Labour’s performance much nearer to the next GE.
It's hard to imagine labour's numbers getting worse, but I think they could. If the vaccination programme allows the economy and society to stay something akin to 'open', there'll be a splurge of consumerism from those who were paid throughout the pandemic but had nothing to spend it on. And some of those who lost their jobs will find their way back to some kind of employment. Masses of problems, long term debt, rampant inequality, but Labour looking even more irrelevant. Starmer left humping a flag pole and resigning after the next gen election.

wouldn't be surprised if they call one this autumn with these numbers.
They'll certainly be thinking about it, but 2 years in seems a bit early. Part of 2017 was a backlash against May' opportunism and there will always be the worry the pandemic flares up again right in the middle of an election. At some point they'll be able to say they are letting the people judge their performance on Covid and Brexit, maybe 3 or 4 years in, but not yet.

Proud to see Kieth finally prepared to take a stand and strike out alone for something he believes in

The letter was organised by the Green MP Caroline Lucas and it has been signed by five other parliamentary party leaders: Ian Blackford (Scottish National party), Sir Ed Davey (Liberal Democrats), Liz Saville Roberts (Plaid Cymru), Colum Eastwood (SDLP) and Stephen Farry (Alliance).

The Labour leader, Sir Keir Starmer, was invited to sign the letter, but declined. A party source said Labour did not normally sign up to initiatives launched by other parties.

I've had a couple of these, I think.

Also had stuff in the past from my local Labour party which I assumed was because of my Unite membership.

Back
Top Bottom