Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

His sons call him 'Jeremy'? I had a friend who did that with his parents. It's weird.

But yes, the things that manifesto stood for are only going to become ever more necessary in the years to come. But we lose five years we can ill afford to lose.

My mum and my uncle called their parents by their names, so I called my Grandad and step-Gran *their first names*, too (my mum's mum died way before I was born, so my step-gran wasn't their mum in any case).
Not saying it's not weird (I found it weird that other kids my own age did it), but *whatever*.

Labour needs to come down to Earth and show a bit of humility. The best thing they can do to get off to a good start is accept Brexit. Take a look for once at the denigration working class people receive if they aren't doing as they're told, propping up Labour and then being ignored. Ask why accepting the result got the Tories their majority and undermined Labour. A national desire to hold down clarity on the future?

The development of an effective opposition relies on studying the outlying boundaries of who Labour can get back onside: those that have deserted them, and also do what New Labour did insofar as getting a swathe of middle-class families in deeply held Conservative territory to support them. A big task. Can they marry their appeal to these seemingly antipodean targets, whilst still offering something worthwhile that the remaining base can get enthused about i.e a left-wing opposition?

And of course your weird regional stereotypes have nothing in common with racism.

Please go and do something more productive with your time than spreading your bigotry across these boards. I suggest playing chicken on the M25.

Regional. Its just the location of the working class that voted tory. None in London.

The Labour membership is overwhelmingly remain, but were happy to campaign on an 'honouring the referendum' ticket in 2017, as brexit was perceived as a done deal. What changed between 2017 and 2019 is that - due to the campaigning by centrist remainers for the most part - it no longer felt like it was, and there was every possibility of overturning the result in one way or another. The change of policy didn't just come from within the PLP, but from the membership too. While it was one of the things that torpedoed any chance of winning this election, if it hadn't have done then the party would have split last year, in a far more substantial way than what happened - and even if they hadn't, the remain vote disappearing to the Lib Dems could have caused a similar catastrophic loss of seats.

They were trapped by Brexit. There was no way out.
That’s an interesting contribution . What I don’t understand in all this rush of belief by Labour remainers that the referendum result could be overturned is the lack of any risk assessment of how that would be interpreted by Labour voters in leave areas. The signs in the North East were already there with sizeable UKIP votes and generally the trend of Tories eating into the Labour vote in the midlands and north generally were there in the last election .
I’m not sure I buy the split issue either to be honest . Any split would have meant breakaway remain candidates losing badly in leave areas even if they had a pact with the Lib Dens which would have been a step too far for even some Labour remain supporters .Equally I’m not sure how a breakaway remain party would have done in competing against official Labour candidates in remain areas .

You seem to be mistaking the election for a Brexit referendum.

Given the reason to call the election was Brexit, the main trust of the election campaign was Brexit, and large numbers of traditional Labour voters (even in Bolsover) voted Tory so they could have Brexit, I feel you may be mistaken.
Much as the EU needs a sorting out, I still feel the UK is better off inside, but the electorate have made it very clear Brexit must happen so, given an elected politician's job is to represent the people, Brexit has to go ahead unopposed.
I'm not happy but the only other option is revolution and suspension of democracy, something I find objectionable.

Given the reason to call the election was Brexit, the main trust of the election campaign was Brexit, and large numbers of traditional Labour voters (even in Bolsover) voted Tory so they could have Brexit, I feel you may be mistaken.
Much as the EU needs a sorting out, I still feel the UK is better off inside, but the electorate have made it very clear Brexit must happen so, given an elected politician's job is to represent the people, Brexit has to go ahead unopposed.
I'm not happy but the only other option is revolution and suspension of democracy, something I find objectionable.

Absolutely bang on - this election might as well have been classed as a second referendum as for the majority Brexit was the overriding issue.

It’s perfectly understandable for those living in high remain areas (London and parts of the South) to think otherwise in their echo chamber bubbles, but this result should be a hard dose of reality.

That's not the only other option

How did UKIP? do in Romford in recent years? or is Romford too far north for you? :facepalm:

Im not supposed to talk about Romford after I offended someone for calling it “hideously white”, which was the phrase I think I used.

I think Romford has always been Tory as its full of racists.

I don't know why I'm watching Have I Got News For You but Jon Richardson just blamed the next five years of Tory attacks on the country's most vulnerable people on Corbyn. What a steaming shit
Yet it was Corbyn who decided to turn his and Labours back on its core voters. :confused: It might have been a different story if labour had backed leave. :(

Yet it was Corbyn who decided to turn his and Labours back on its core voters. :confused: It might have been a different story if labour had backed leave. :(
Oh don't talk such ignorant arrant tosh

Where were you when the bnp vote was being attributed to Labour taking their traditional supporters for granted? This turning their back on core voters trope has been going on more than 10 years, you can't blame it all on Corbyn

Labour should have backed leave. Corbyn is leave, it's the only thing I think he hasn't been real about his entire career.
If remainers went to the libdems it would have been a lab/lib coalition.

Labour should have backed leave. Corbyn is leave, it's the only thing I think he hasn't been real about his entire career.
If remainers went to the libdems it would have been a lab/lib coalition.

What happened to representing the members who are overwhelmingly remain.

What happened to representing the ones out of London that voted Tory to get Brexit

Fuck them. Unless you think the labour party should represent racists just because they are working class.

But if you do, then obviously they should go down that path and give up on London instead.

Fuck them. Unless you think the labour party should represent racists just because they are working class.

But if you do, then obviously they should go down that path and give up on London instead.
Then the members of labour no longer represent the working class and it's no longer fit for purpose and JC is a racist.

Back
Top Bottom