Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

my brother in law, an ex miner from Northumberland voted for the brexit party as Labour had turned remain

my current neighbour, an ex miner from Durham who voted leave saying he’s wanted out of the EU decades ago said he wasn’t going to vote Labour this time as he felt Corbyn was like an overgrown student and he didn’t trust his brexit stance.

I will tell them both they are thick racists next time I see them.
Similar anecdotes here. Work colleague who lives in Bolsover (or bowser as it should be pronounced) voted tory because Labour had 'gone remain' but says he will go back to voting Labour after Brexit and hopes corbyn or another left is leader.

Similar anecdotes here. Work colleague who lives in Bolsover (or bowser as it should be pronounced) voted tory because Labour had 'gone remain' but says he will go back to voting Labour after Brexit and hopes corbyn or another left is leader.
Both these posts then are about tactical short term things rather than ideological commitment. A tactical thing that labour got on the wrong end of. They didn't need to.

The Labour membership is overwhelmingly remain, but were happy to campaign on an 'honouring the referendum' ticket in 2017, as brexit was perceived as a done deal. What changed between 2017 and 2019 is that - due to the campaigning by centrist remainers for the most part - it no longer felt like it was, and there was every possibility of overturning the result in one way or another. The change of policy didn't just come from within the PLP, but from the membership too. While it was one of the things that torpedoed any chance of winning this election, if it hadn't have done then the party would have split last year, in a far more substantial way than what happened - and even if they hadn't, the remain vote disappearing to the Lib Dems could have caused a similar catastrophic loss of seats.

They were trapped by Brexit. There was no way out.

Yeah, but I think it wrong to ignore the point she's amplifying, tbh.
I think she's right about mass canvassers going into communities, whilst taking on board butcher's point about consistency. But I think it's wrong to discuss this as a campaign issue only - Corbynism needed to 'reconnect' with working class communities and actually organise - to move beyond 'representing', to start thinking about becoming a movement. I've banged on about that for ages, though there was never a realistic chance Corbyn/Momentum would do it. But at the same time, it was just about the only to avoid becoming a slightly more left wing than Ed Miliband failure, which is what has happened.

oh! the reason I started to type that and then meandered off was to say that while the membership does lean to remain, now that brexit is again to all intents and purposes a done deal, they are likely to take a keen look at where the seats have all gone and elect someone who they think might appeal to those areas. Starmer has no chance IMO.

The Labour membership is overwhelmingly remain, but were happy to campaign on an 'honouring the referendum' ticket in 2017, as brexit was perceived as a done deal. What changed between 2017 and 2019 is that - due to the campaigning by centrist remainers for the most part - it no longer felt like it was, and there was every possibility of overturning the result in one way or another. The change of policy didn't just come from within the PLP, but from the membership too. While it was one of the things that torpedoed any chance of winning this election, if it hadn't have done then the party would have split last year, in a far more substantial way than what happened - and even if they hadn't, the remain vote disappearing to the Lib Dems could have caused a similar catastrophic loss of seats.

Well, they chose the wrong side if they had to pick one. They now have the flighty footlose non-committed individual consumer voter having far more weight than the trad century long family committed voter.

I think she's right about mass canvassers going into communities, whilst taking on board butcher's point about consistency. But I think it's wrong to discuss this as a campaign issue only - Corbynism needed to 'reconnect' with working class communities and actually organise - to move beyond 'representing', to start thinking about becoming a movement. I've banged on about that for ages, though there was never a realistic chance Corbyn/Momentum would do it. But at the same time, it was just about the only to avoid becoming a slightly more left wing than Ed Miliband failure, which is what has happened.
I think it's a fair point to make over long term stuff that directly effects communities. But people expect canvassers and carpetbaggers in elections, not local projects etc. This has been part of the debate since about the early 2000s on the left that many here took part in (UKLN refugees welcome here glasgow etc).

I don't disagree with any of that, save that there might have been scope to develop an active policy along the lines of 'brino + workers rights' and the rest, certainly over the last 18 months. But I think the deeper issue is that Labour are now unable to take working class voters with them in almost any direction. Trapped by Brexit, absolutely, but it was a ready made cage they've been constructing themselves for years.

Well, they chose the wrong side if they had to pick one. They now have the flighty footlose non-committed individual consumer voter having far more weight than the trad century long family committed voter.
No, that's a misjudgement, I think. There are big areas of Labour support, such as in London, that were solidly anti-brexit for various reasons, often little to do with being pro-European. This is a very divided country at the moment.

As for 'century long', be careful with that, given how many people (and whole communities) in the UK don't trace their ancestry here back that long. Doesn't make them somehow less worthy. And such people are in many cases exactly the ones who feel under siege right now.

I'm sure you are right that would have been significant internal fall out if labour hadn't of compromised to remain, not sure it would have had same electoral impact during GE and am absolutely certain that the longer term effects would have been lesser. Hope the tory swing in w/c areas is a tactical thing which won't be repeated but once people cross the rubicon.

That's why they chose the wrong side. They assumed the trad voter would stick with them regardless. Cynically that's not a bad gamble even if it didn't play off. I don't think it was strategic foolishness at play, more a failure to reconnect with the core over the last four and a half years (and before of course). They should have been much more sensitive to this, but they were never about becoming an organically working class movement.

That's why they chose the wrong side. They assumed the trad voter would stick with them regardless. Cynically that's not a bad gamble even if it didn't play off. I don't think it was strategic foolishness at play, more a failure to reconnect with the core over the last four and a half years (and before of course). They should have been much more sensitive to this, but they were never about becoming an organically working class movement.
They knew from 2005 on it wouldn't work. That it hadn't worked. Yet some voice said let's do it again because i know who is really important - it's people like me who run the party at the top and centre. And we don't like the liberal battering that we're getting. 2017 where there was a clear split in the vote made that pretty obvious to all with eyes. Yet, because of who runs the party and how it happened again.

A letter from his three sons.

ELrm_pHX0AIdkVo

Whatever your opinions on the election it sums him up pretty well.

A letter from his three sons.

ELrm_pHX0AIdkVo

Whatever your opinions on the election it sums him up pretty well.

Whereas Johnson is so personally dislikeable that most of his family turned against him.

His Dad Stanley was on the Channel Four coverage and seemed to have got really drunk, and became painful to watch at one point.

Whereas Johnson is so personally dislikeable that most of his family turned against him.

His Dad Stanley was on the Channel Four coverage and seemed to have got really drunk, and became painful to watch at one point.
Yeah I saw a clip about a fighter pilot wearing a burka that didn't seem to go down too well.

His sons call him 'Jeremy'? I had a friend who did that with his parents. It's weird.

But yes, the things that manifesto stood for are only going to become ever more necessary in the years to come. But we lose five years we can ill afford to lose.

Back
Top Bottom