Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

my brother in law, an ex miner from Northumberland voted for the brexit party as Labour had turned remain

my current neighbour, an ex miner from Durham who voted leave saying he’s wanted out of the EU decades ago said he wasn’t going to vote Labour this time as he felt Corbyn was like an overgrown student and he didn’t trust his brexit stance.

I will tell them both they are thick racists next time I see them.

Is the 'overgrown student' thing code for too far left, or something else?

Rayner said the other day in the youth debate that she would vote leave in a Labour negotiated second referendum. I thought at the time it was an odd thing to say, but it looks to me like prepping for a tilt at the leadership after last night. Anyway, I reckon she'd be hard to beat.

Given some of the roaches crawling out to get their name mentioned she's the best bet so far.

Is the 'overgrown student' thing code for too far left, or something else?

Probably, and attends protests rather than condemning them, is naively idealistic - not like us proper grown ups who agree that, while it's all very sad that people are suffering, have mortgages, cars and kids to pay for now.

Probably, and attends protests rather than condemning them, is naively idealistic - not like us proper grown ups who agree that, while it's all very sad that people are suffering, have mortgages, cars and kids to pay for now.
Given the history of the two people mentioned it's highly likely they've seen and participated in some of the high-points of class struggle in this country and so may just mean the sort of well meaning naive outsider who tried to help in those conflicts but just couldn't. I think that's a fair enough view to hold if you were formed in a period when higher education was a limited elite prospect not open to you. It's just shorthand.

The story of labour's loss today won't be the story in six months anyway, right now it's all bring pinned on corbyn, momentum, left takeover, the desertion of the centre ground blah. That can't hold as it's contradicted by the actual events. I mean I'm sure it will hold in some quarters because there are loads of dickheads but it won't be the only view. I don't think a corbyn endorsement will be the poisoned chalice it's being cast as and I don't think a phillips or starmer has a hope in hell without some drastic reshaping of the membership, which imo is unlikely. The next leader will be from the left of labour, although will probably pursue a line to right of corbyn

Given the history of the two people mentioned it's highly likely they've seen and participated in some of the high-points of class struggle in this country and so may just mean the sort of well meaning naive outsider who tried to help in those conflicts but just couldn't. I think that's a fair enough view to hold if you were formed in a period when higher education was a limited elite prospect not open to you. It's just shorthand.

Fair enough in that context. What I described is definitely a thing when I've ventured outside my social media home turf.

The story of labour's loss today won't be the story in six months anyway, right now it's all bring pinned on corbyn, momentum, left takeover, the desertion of the centre ground blah. That can't hold as it's contradicted by the actual events. I mean I'm sure it will hold in some quarters because there are loads of dickheads but it won't be the only view. I don't think a corbyn endorsement will be the poisoned chalice it's being cast as and I don't think a phillips or starmer has a hope in hell without some drastic reshaping of the membership, which imo is unlikely. The next leader will be from the left of labour, although will probably pursue a line to right of corbyn

Yeah agreed. I think actually what's been seen with Corbyn, although this might seem ridiculous to some, is how difficult it really is to make smears stick. I mean they've undoubtedly damaged him but the sheer volume and degree of ridiculousness they've had to resort to to have that impact has been something to behold. 'He/she is connected to Corbyn in some way' really isn't going to have much of an impact IMO.

Back
Top Bottom