Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

At various times in my life I've been active in trade union politics, anti fascist work and community organisation.. I had never heard the phrase and knew nothing about its connotations before the spat between him and Mike Harding/Ash Sarkar.
why are you desperate to bring Sarkar into it? Is it just cos you are embarrassed to admit another mistake? Or is that evil brown woman secretly behind everything??

why are you desperate to bring Sarkar into it? Is it just cos you are embarrassed to admit another mistake? Or is that evil brown woman secretly behind everything??

I am happy to accept the row was between PE and Mike Harding and that the row with Ash Sarkar came after that spat . Happy now?

Last month you accused me of being a supporter of third period Stalinism.

Get your baseless smears straight sunshine
Singing from the same hymn sheet. Third period Stalinism was reactionary, nationally based, 'communism.' They hold a deeply conservative view of the working-class, and believe the class echoes such conservatism. They use radical language to support reactionary measures. Not quite to the same extent as the RCP/Spiked lot, but not very far off at all.

Singing from the same hymn sheet. Third period Stalinism was reactionary, nationally based, 'communism.' They hold a deeply conservative view of the working-class, and believe the class echoes such conservatism. They use radical language to support reactionary measures. Not quite to the same extent as the RCP/Spiked lot, but not very far off at all.

Blue labour, RCP, third period stalinism - bluster and piss. Welcome back to form bellend

Blue labour, RCP, third period stalinism - bluster and piss. Welcome back to form bellend
Three types of reactionary. Hardly surprising they have various similarities, is it? The Spiked lot are actually quite proud of their Blue Labour connections, so they can see it even if you are wilfully blind.

Are you suggesting its commonly known that 'rootless cosmopolitans' is a phrase associated with the anti-cosmopolitan policy of Stalin that disproportionately impacted Jews and had sinister AS overtones?
In the general populace maybe not, within the left-wing/trade union political bubble absolutely. And anyone on the Labour fringes would know this as it has cropped up in the anti-Semitism stuff.

In the general populace maybe not, within the left-wing/trade union political bubble absolutely. And anyone on the Labour fringes would know this as it has cropped up in the anti-Semitism stuff.
There is absolutely no doubt that anyone using the phrase would have known what it meant, or at least have some idea of where it came from and its associations. It's hardly one that you'd just invent out of nowhere.

After the Conservatives shut down hundreds of libraries, youth and community centres, we will create a new Public Right to Space and allow communities to take over neglected buildings so they can run activities in them. Our new Community Innovation Fund, paid for by dormant assets, will help fund those activities. The example of Every One Every Day in Barking and Dagenham offers a model for just how powerful this can be in reconnecting local communities and unlocking their creativity.

How Labour will put civil society at the heart of rebuilding Britain - LabourList

Labour really are developing some great policies/ideas, even if they aren't being discussed much because of Brexit, and whether they will ever have the chance to implement them.

We will move away from contracting out services and increase grant funding so smaller local charities that are often more agile and accountable can play a bigger role. We will future-proof services against privatisation by a future Conservative government by giving service users new rights to control how those services are run. And we will open up public sector and other platforms to community organisations. This will cut costs for community-led services and stop private corporations pricing them out of the market.

though isn't this technically privatisation?

There is absolutely no doubt that anyone using the phrase would have known what it meant, or at least have some idea of where it came from and its associations. It's hardly one that you'd just invent out of nowhere.
I could accept somebody might have heard it and subsequently used it without being aware of its implications/associations, although would probably reflect quite badly on the people they are listening to and taking their politics from

though isn't this technically privatisation?

Probably twice - first when they fund it by selling "dormant assets", and then when they give whatever results to the charitable orgs that result.

You could make the argument that they were trying to foster localism / community run things like what has emerged in North East Wales over recent times (Saith Seren and the football club in Wrexham, or the railway in Llangollen etc) or things that would support the growth and survival of small businesses (attempts to revitalize abandoned high streets, or railway arches being used again), but it isn't clear that is what they want to do and it could just as easily be the old Cameron idea of getting charities to do things. I'd much rather they did the former tbh, as it would cost less, waste less and be run far more competently.

As I understand it PE isn't an employee of the FBU, he's an employee of the Fire Service and as such the FBU can't 'sack' him. I suspect he's been booted off the NEC of which he is an elected member.

Does anyone know exactly what he's been accused of? Specifically. Surely supporting Leave isn't an offence in the FBU? If so most of their regional committee in the West Midlands will also be suspended.

I presume PE can appeal - and if his 'crime' is vocal opposition to the EU then he certainly should.

As far as I know, it was for speaking at the Leave Means Leave Westminster rally earlier this year. The event was supported by UKIP & Tommy Robinson as well as Farage, & Embery is consequently accused of sharing a platform with the far right. He argues it was literally a different platform - a different stage at the same event. I dunno - I can see PE's logic of engaging Leave voters, swerving the false divide, but Leave Means Leave is hardly a grass-roots community group, & plenty of the audience were certainly far-right adjacent or straight-up employees/employers at Disaster Vulture Capitalism Inc.

ETA - from his own twitter

The Shadow Cabinet are discussing changing policy over another referendum
Brexit: Labour MPs urge Corbyn not to go 'full Remain'
More than 25 Labour MPs have written to Jeremy Corbyn to urge him not to go "full Remain" as the party reviews its stance on another Brexit referendum. They warn another referendum would be "toxic" and empower the "populist right" in many Labour heartlands.
They call on the leadership to abandon their pursuit of a "perfect deal" and to back an agreement by 31 October. Mr Corbyn told colleagues on Wednesday afternoon it was "right to demand any deal is put to a public vote". Speaking at a shadow cabinet meeting, Mr Corbyn said he would be listening to colleagues and consulting with trade unions before officially setting out Labour's position next week.

As reported on BBC this morning; unnamed sources in the Tory rag...

_107594581_the_times_saturday_29th_june_frontpage.jpg

‘Unamed sources’ of this sort = A right bunch of shits.

Might not be a source at all. This is classic US-style campaigning, trying to cast doubt on someone’s health, remember wobbly Hilary Clinton? Sowing seeds about someone’s capability to do the job, while their man is clearly a pisshead who loses his rag after a late-night bender.

They can't even come up with original smears :(

The Tories do spend a lot of time trying to imitate the US right it has to be said, given that they have no ideas of their own.

Might not be a source at all. This is classic US-style campaigning, trying to cast doubt on someone’s health, remember wobbly Hilary Clinton? Sowing seeds about someone’s capability to do the job, while their man is clearly a pisshead who loses his rag after a late-night bender.

Wobbly Hilary only worked because the Clinton campaign surrogates spent a couple of hours touring every news studio in the US claiming that what people were about to see in a video didn't actually happen; of all the daftness of that campaign it was certainly in the top 10. If they'd just said that she was ill with pneumonia but wanted to show her respects to the 9/11 victims it would never have been a problem.

This on the other hand is crazy talk, especially given how Boris has been interviewing recently.

Wobbly Hilary only worked because the Clinton campaign surrogates spent a couple of hours touring every news studio in the US claiming that what people were about to see in a video didn't actually happen; of all the daftness of that campaign it was certainly in the top 10. If they'd just said that she was ill with pneumonia but wanted to show her respects to the 9/11 victims it would never have been a problem.

This on the other hand is crazy talk, especially given how Boris has been interviewing recently.

I reckon Corbyn lasts longer than Johnson. Due to the number of apparently unintended progeny Johnson has it is pretty obvious he is unable to last the course and withdraw at the appropriate moment. All bluster and no control rather than the careful tilling of the keen gardener.

Back
Top Bottom