Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Labour need to hammer home the dismal Tory track record on National Security, selling arms to terrorist states and cutting the police to the bone.
yes, yes ,no. People remember identity cards and perceive Labour as the party of the surveillance and authoritarian state.

tbh I think he should play to his strengths: Dementia tax, tuition fees, taking food from the mouths of infants, strong and stable leadership, railways...

He just said "Strong against terrorism. Strong against the causes of terrorism"

Heh, channelling more than one well-known political meme there :D

That was his most Blair-like speech - certainly I don't remember one of his that was as polished as well as that was, and as sensibly trailed beforehand.

That was his most Blair-like speech - certainly I don't remember one of his that was as polished as well as that was, and as sensibly trailed beforehand.
call me auld-fashion'd but i would like news to report what has happened, rather than a) telling me what will happen; b) telling me minute by minute that it is happening; and c) telling me that it's happened.

What we need is somebody that does not use Blair's tricks! So let's hope Corbyn loses and then we can get Keir or Dan as leader![/moderate}

call me auld-fashion'd but i would like news to report what has happened, rather than a) telling me what will happen; b) telling me minute by minute that it is happening; and c) telling me that it's happened.

So do I, and that is why I liked the way they did it with this - most of the speeches' best lines weren't advertised in advance.

An amazing couple of weeks for Corbyn and his campaign. Very exciting. The Tories have both been distracted by Brexit and been shit. Now on the ropes.

One would say there is still little chance of a Labour victory. If only recent events pointed at the possibility of some sort of fantastic upset.

The speech is a bold move, risky, because although people on the whole agree with the proposition about foreign policy there is a risk it can be spun into hatred of the UK and its armed forces and as some sort of appeasement. Expect three weeks of constant reference to Corbyn and the IRA. Hopefully few will be swayed by it.

Given that Corbyn is a moderate social democrat, rather than an actual messiah or anything, I thought his speech was pretty good under the circumstances.

He came across as a sensible, decent person expressing some rational ideas about coping with the grotesquely fucked up circumstances that resulted in a bunch of little girls getting blown up the other day.

"Strong on terrorism, strong on the causes of terrorism" is likely to piss off the Blairites just as much as it does the Tories, and seems to be broadly accepted as the 'right approach' among people who might conceivably be persuaded to vote for Labour in June.

Given that Corbyn is a moderate social democrat, rather than an actual messiah or anything, I thought his speech was pretty good under the circumstances.

He came across as a sensible, decent person expressing some rational ideas about coping with the grotesquely fucked up circumstances that resulted in a bunch of little girls getting blown up the other day.

"Strong on terrorism, strong on the causes of terrorism" is likely to piss off the Blairites just as much as it does the Tories, and seems to be broadly accepted as the 'right approach' among people who might conceivably be persuaded to vote for Labour in June.
I've always thought Corbyn didn't have the right 'equipment' to be a successful party leader - isn't good at being shouty and cynical, not all that good at telling overt lies. However his personality might be just the thing for the current moment. Even with the latest poll I still think the Cons will get an clear overall majority. However Corbyn is the right person to say something definite but also reflective and serious after the events of the last few days.

yes, yes ,no. People remember identity cards and perceive Labour as the party of the surveillance and authoritarian state.

tbh I think he should play to his strengths: Dementia tax, tuition fees, taking food from the mouths of infants, strong and stable leadership, railways...

agree that calling for more cops to protect us from longterm blowback from MId East adventurism is not arguable from the left....but no point hoping any Labour Leader, on any wing, could ever realistically take any other position - which of course begs the question, why any hope / enthusiasm for any left Lab leader

Last edited:
agree that calling for more cops to protect us from longterm blowback from MId East adventurism is not arguable from the left....but no point hoping any Labour Leader, on any wing, could ever realistically any other position - which of course begs the question, why any hope / enthusiasm for any left Lab leader

Strictly speaking, he hasn't actually called for "more" cops. 10,000 police officers would only replace around half of the posts lost since 2010.

It has certainly woke the Maquis up - since he made the speech, we have had Harris, Rentoul and now Hodges himself (the latter apparently dressed in one of Corbyn's old suits) parading on the news channels.

I've always thought Corbyn didn't have the right 'equipment' to be a successful party leader - isn't good at being shouty and cynical, not all that good at telling overt lies. However his personality might be just the thing for the current moment. Even with the latest poll I still think the Cons will get an clear overall majority. However Corbyn is the right person to say something definite but also reflective and serious after the events of the last few days.
being as tm has gone to the country demanding an increased majority so she can cut the mustard with brussels, she may find herself holed beneath the waterline even if the tories win, if they win with a reduced share of the vote.

more than there are now

I am not sure that it is guaranteed to be - at the moment the officers who joined when Thatcher boosted recruitment (by an extra thousand or two a year) in the late 80s are all coming up for retirement. In five years the 10,000 extras could easily be swallowed up just replacing that lot.

being as tm has gone to the country demanding an increased majority so she can cut the mustard with brussels, she may find herself holed beneath the waterline even if the tories win, if they win with a reduced share of the vote.
I'd have thought the Tories will still get a greater share than 2015, where they got 38%. But one point of comparison - admittedly a slightly contrived one, but still relevant to a 'brexit election' - is that in 2015 the Con + Ukip vote was 50% (38 + 12), whereas in the very latest poll and a couple of others that figure is down to 47%. And Labour are now well ahead of where they were 2 years ago.

I'd have thought the Tories will still get a greater share than 2015, where they got 38%. But one point of comparison - admittedly a slightly contrived one, but still relevant to a 'brexit election' - is that in 2015 the Con + Ukip vote was 50% (38 + 12), whereas in the very latest poll and a couple of others that figure is down to 47%. And Labour are now well ahead of where they were 2 years ago.
it's a long auld time to the election and plenty of time for may to end up with shit on her face.

Last edited:
I suspect most people have already made up their minds about whether or not Corbyn is a 'terrorist sympathiser'. So not sure if harping on it for the next two weeks will have the intended effect.

I felt it was a risky speech for Corbyn to be making right now, but at the same time all you have to do is see the link between the invasion of Iraq and IS to think that he at least partially has a point. And I think most people do see that link.

Aren't Hezbollah on the frontline fighting Daesh anyway? Maybe he should big up his so called "links" with them eh? :hmm:

I suspect most people have already made up their minds about whether or not Corbyn is a 'terrorist sympathiser'. So not sure if harping on it for the next two weeks will have the intended effect.

I felt it was a risky speech for Corbyn to be making right now, but at the same time all you have to do is see the link between the invasion of Iraq and IS to think that he at least partially has a point. And I think most people do see that link.

The alternative is thesaurus one-upmanship looking for ever stronger synonyms for "condemn"....

Seems like the speech hasn't gone that badly so far

e85f97a851.png

Yep, time is on his side, it's old news.

Corbyn does look foolish in retrospect though.

Foolish? I suspect running for PM wasn't top of his mind when he was running about being a trendy lefty. I doubt many people care.

The real damage is 20 minutes wasted on this irrelevant nonsense when he could've been talking about policies and the Dementia Tax.

Back
Top Bottom