Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Conservatives: 43% (up 2)

Labour: 26% (down 2)

Ukip: 11% (down 2)

Lib Dems: 8% (down 1)

That's pretty grim.
That 26% is just about the worst figure Labour has ever received, certainly since WW2. You can find a database here -
British voting intention opinion poll database, 1943-
I just glanced at the period leading up to the 1983 election and there were a few in the high 20s there too (think they got 28% in the actual election), but otherwise this is as bad as it gets. Different situation at the time, with the SDP/Liberal Alliance - UKIP is now the party challenging Labour - but still ultra grim.

That 26% is just about the worst figure Labour has ever received, certainly since WW2. You can find a database here -
I just glanced at the period leading up to the 1983 election and there were a few in the high 20s there too (think they got 28% in the actual election), but otherwise this is as bad as it gets. Different situation at the time, with the SDP/Liberal Alliance - UKIP is now the party challenging Labour - but still ultra grim.
Ugh, I've just discovered Mark Pack's is a lib dem. :( But still.

being as the plp has destabilised the party for the past fifteen months it's hardly surprising the rate's as it is.

Unless Corbyn calls someone a bigot when he thinks the mike's switched off, or puts a cat in a bin, you're probably right.

Oh I don't know - Shami Chakribati's antics on Preston on Sunday probably wouldn't have gone into the polling mix, and Diane Abbott hasn't had a chance to get started as shadow HS yet....

being as the plp has destabilised the party for the past fifteen months it's hardly surprising the rate's as it is.

It is the politically naive who have destabilised Labour, by re-electing Corbyn.

They had their fun in electing him the first time, but have failed to join the world of 'grown up'* politics, by electing him again.

*Only the very naive could possibly think that Labour could win an election under Corbyn. Labour should be surging in the polls at the moment, but they are clearly not. If May calls a snap election, Labour are beyond fucked, and frankly, it serves them right.

If May calls a snap election, Labour are beyond fucked, and frankly, it serves them right.

She won't. May and her cabinet are far too busy trying their damnest to tank the economy at the moment. To be fair to them they're doing a reasonable job at it thus far.

Corbyn did stand a chance of winning before the coup... Looks less likely now, but not entirely impossible. A plan that activates the half a million membership could have a significant impact on an election campaign.

However I'd be satisfied with Corbyn democratising the internal party structure, and generally reshaping labour into something of some use.. That would be a massive achievement.

It is the politically naive who have destabilised Labour, by re-electing Corbyn.

They had their fun in electing him the first time, but have failed to join the world of 'grown up'* politics, by electing him again.

*Only the very naive could possibly think that Labour could win an election under Corbyn. Labour should be surging in the polls at the moment, but they are clearly not. If May calls a snap election, Labour are beyond fucked, and frankly, it serves them right.
tosh.

if the labour party in parliament had lined up behind corbyn last year rather than doing their damndest to undermine him from the word go, then the history of the last 18 months would be very different. the prospects for 2020 would be very different. but any attempts he has made to hold the government to account have been stymied by the activities of wreckers and traitors, which have received rather more media attention than corbyn's efforts.

Remind me how inspirational and vote winning Owen Smith is again please?

The one thing the non-entities like Smith (actually Smith was about the least attractive, most vacuous candidate old-new-old-new Labour could have found...) have is that there is at least the possibility that they might win an election on the basis of buggins turn - Smith/Empty Labour for example would probably have beaten John Majors fag end government in 1997, and *might* have a decent chance against an in-reccesion, post-Brexit, squabbling fag end Tory government in 2020.

Not an absolute of course, but it seems to me that Corbyns Labour evokes a great deal of 'absolutely no way on earth!' from people who have voted for previous incarnations of Labour.

tosh.

if the labour party in parliament had lined up behind corbyn last year rather than doing their damndest to undermine him from the word go, then the history of the last 18 months would be very different. the prospects for 2020 would be very different. but any attempts he has made to hold the government to account have been stymied by the activities of wreckers and traitors, which have received rather more media attention than corbyn's efforts.

Very neat summary. No one may argue with it, literally.

Back
Top Bottom