Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Vermin have been sharing this pic on SM, but it still made me giggle...

leader_zpsbpcq3frs.jpg
^is that Kurt Cobain?

I'm apparently a little rusty on my "classic anti-semitic tropes" so can anyone point out which tropes are contained here?
The leaflets claimed that the Jewish Labour Movement acted as “a representative of a foreign power, Israel” and called for it to be disaffiliated from the Labour Party.

Mr Streeting told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “That last comment, ‘acts as a representative of a foreign power’, this isn’t ambiguous. This is classic anti-semitic trope, at our conference.
Wes Streeting: Corbyn shows lack of leadership on anti-Semitism

I'm apparently a little rusty on my "classic anti-semitic tropes" so can anyone point out which tropes are contained here?
I must be mistaken about what "trope" means. I used to think it meant "motif" or "theme". Apparently it means something else, like "sick". Young people. :rolleyes:

So a (non-Jewish?) career politician is accusing Jewish party members of anti-semitism for objecting to the use of anti-semitism as a political football? You couldn't make it up.

Also, look at this Streeting blokes blog. It sounds like a CV you put on linkedIn or Monster.

Welcome to my blog. I’m a Labour and Co-operative Party councillor for Chadwell Ward in the London Borough of Redbridge and I’m also a member of Progress, the Fabian Society, LGBT Labour and UNITE.

Until June 2010 I was the National President of the National Union of Students (NUS) – the 53rd holder of that office. I was twice elected as President of NUS after completing two terms as NUS’ Vice President for Education and a year on the NUS National Executive Committee, during which time I served as NUS’ liaison with the National Union of Teachers (NUT) with responsibility for teacher education. Throughout my time in NUS I stood for election as a Labour Students candidate and served as a member of the Labour Students’ National Committee for four years.

My achievements at NUS included repositioning the student movement on the issue of higher education funding to influence the debate surrounding the Browne Review, publishing a compelling critique of the variable tuition fees model, as well as a fully costed alternative for a progressive graduate contribution based on earnings. I also saw through to completition wide ranging reforms to NUS’ governance and democracy, pioneered by my predecessor and led a successful, award winning campaign against the introduction of graduate account charges by HSBC. The campaign has been cited in publications across the globe as the first example of new media being used successfully to change the behaviour of a multinational corporation, most notably by Clay Shirky in his international bestseller ‘Here comes Everybody: the power of organising without organisations’.

I have a strong interest in education policy, particularly higher education and social mobility, and have served on a number of national sector committees. I was a non-exectuive director of the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), the Higher Education Academy and the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education. I was also a member of the HE Ambassdadors sub-group of the Prime Minister’s National Council for Educational Excellence, established by the former Prime Minister Gordon Brown. I also served as a member Government’s Youth Citizenship Commission, which reported to the Prime Minister in Spring 2009.

Before joining NUS full time I spent a year working for Progress after graduating from Selwyn College, Cambridge, where I read History, before being elected to serve as President of Cambridge University Students’ Union for a year.

I grew up in Stepney in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and attended St Peter’s Primary School in Wapping and Westminster City School in Victoria. I have lived in the East End of London my whole life.

I now work as Chief Executive of the Helena Kennedy Foundation, an educational charity that supports disadvantaged students from the FE and adult education sectors to access higher education and the professions

What a self-serving twat. I'm surprised he didn't list his GCSE results there too.

I can't see the claimed phrase “a representative of a foreign power, Israel” within the photo of the leaflet posted earlier. It seems strange that, if it does in fact appear, the photo purporting to back it up doesn't actually show it.

I also note that these leaflets were apparently distributed outside a Momentum meeting, which suggests someone other than Momentum was responsible for distributing them.

trope does mean themes. I.E, greedy, cheats, working in secret against us, stab in the back etc
So a (non-Jewish?) career politician is accusing Jewish party members of anti-semitism for objecting to the use of anti-semitism as a political football? You couldn't make it up.

Also, look at this Streeting blokes blog. It sounds like a CV you put on linkedIn or Monster.

What a self-serving twat. I'm surprised he didn't list his GCSE results there too.
Swimming certificates, 5 and 10 metres

'I spent my formative political career in student politics' isn't quite the endorsment he thinks it is either

Last edited:
For someone who apparently graduated from Cambridge with a History degree, Streeting isn't very bright.

So what do we know about him, aside from his obvious devotion to the state of Israel; his NUS presidency; his PR consultancy work with PwC and him continuing to sit as a councillor on Redbridge Borough Council? Oh, and his blatant ambition?

I can't see the claimed phrase “a representative of a foreign power, Israel” within the photo of the leaflet posted earlier. It seems strange that, if it does in fact appear, the photo purporting to back it up doesn't actually show it.

I also note that these leaflets were apparently distributed outside a Momentum meeting, which suggests someone other than Momentum was responsible for distributing them.
It's there on the end of the last picture. And yes, the idea is very close to classical anti-semitic tropes. Just a bit updated. However it relates to a specific formal political grouping rather than jewish people full stop. So the charge doesn't stick. The authors of the leaflet clearly know they're sailing provocatively close to the wind by choosing to use that sort of language.

They've also printed the wrong address for their website.

It's there on the end of the last picture...
For some reason that bit of the leaflet didn't appear in cantsin's post as it appears on my PC, but on clicking through to the original tweet, it is visible
And yes, the idea is very close to classical anti-semitic tropes. Just a bit updated. However it relates to a specific formal political grouping rather than jewish people full stop. So the charge doesn't stick. The authors of the leaflet clearly know they're sailing provocatively close to the wind by choosing to use that sort of language.

So the phrase does appear, but as you say, given the full context that it's talking about a particular group rather than jewish people in general, it still doesn't seem that the accusation of using the trope stands up.

Who of a certain age could forget .....

I read somewhere Lord Kinnock (multi-millionaire) spent twelve months preparing for that tirade.
The previous year he was too busy betraying the miners.
He admitted he was reaching out to daily mail readers. Fat lot of good that did him too.

Yes just saw that. I'm in favour of Trident being dropped but I think the decision needs to be put to the people for his second term of office. :D

He's already said he won't use it, hasn't he.

It's the core policies to tackle some of the poverty and unfairness that make him electable. :)

It's there on the end of the last picture. And yes, the idea is very close to classical anti-semitic tropes. Just a bit updated. However it relates to a specific formal political grouping rather than jewish people full stop. So the charge doesn't stick. The authors of the leaflet clearly know they're sailing provocatively close to the wind by choosing to use that sort of language.

ah, someone referred to that elsewhere , but cldnt see it - now i see there's 4 photos up, so presume it's visible now

I couldn't see it either, the way the image was displayed on my screen.

However, although it's an odd phrase, I have to admit I don't understand the reference. What's the trope here?

Back
Top Bottom