Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

noticed a fare few 'vote corbyn' window posters going up already on a wander round Finsbury Park.
but I do think the cafe on Clifton terrace who still have their 'restore the labour whip' banner up are being hopelessly optimistic.
Perhaps it's an artisan pudding they're selling?

Corbyn puts Shammer straight about his claim that he knew 2019 defeat was inevitable...

Well, he never said that to me, at any time. And so I just think rewriting history is no help.

It shows double standards, shall we say, that he now says he always thought that, but he never said it at the time, or anything about it.

He was part of the campaign. He and I spoke together at events and I find it actually quite sad … He was in the shadow cabinet, he was at the clause V meeting. Both those meetings unanimously agreed the 2019 manifesto, and he was there.

I got an email from the Corbyn campaign saying their returns had him neck and neck with Labour. I'm not actually involved and don't quite remember signing up for the email - I was pissed. :oops: Anyway, I imagine the neck and neck thing is just the usual campaign speak to try and get the troops out. My instinct is that he'll walk it. Though who knows, maybe Labour's massive national lead will give them a solid base of support in Islington North as well. Who knows.

tldr? Who knows.

Would have been good to hear the context.

Edit: full video is online, and I don’t think the snip taken is unfair.
The Labour List site quotes him as saying he grew up in an 'NHS family'. Sounds like he wants to sell off the family silver.

Seriously though, that's a massive gift to the Corbyn campaign. It just writes it's own headlines - 'meet the Labour candidate, the man who want to sell off your NHS' etc.

Starting to sounds like Corbyn and his lot are struggling to get the resources to campaign effectively. Door step feedback is putting support 20/80 Corbyn/Labour. None of which surprises me, as mentioned previously running an independent campaign is VERY resource and leadership intensive, qualities Corbyn has demonstrably very little of.

Seriously though, that's a massive gift to the Corbyn campaign. It just writes it's own headlines - 'meet the Labour candidate, the man who want to sell off your NHS' etc.

But it’s not quite accurate. He’s running his mum’s chain of IVF clinics and so he’s ramping the capabilities of private providers to get involved in NHS service delivery. That’s not selling off the nHS: it’s marketisation, not privatisation.

It’s also in line with what Streeting has said about how to reduce waiting lists, so he’s not been caught out being flagrantly off-message.

But it’s not quite accurate. He’s running his mum’s chain of IVF clinics and so he’s ramping the capabilities of private providers to get involved in NHS service delivery. That’s not selling off the nHS: it’s marketisation, not privatisation.
And something the NHS has been doing for decades.

Would have been good to hear the context.

Edit: full video is online, and I don’t think the snip taken is unfair.
I haven't seen the full video, but the clip tweeted does seem entirely consistent with the party's consolidator state policy direction. Looks like the voters of Islington North have a choice between parties who champion the privatisation of NHS delivery, and consequent regressive transfer from taxes on earned income to unearned wealth, and a candidate who doesn't.

Starting to sounds like Corbyn and his lot are struggling to get the resources to campaign effectively. Door step feedback is putting support 20/80 Corbyn/Labour. None of which surprises me, as mentioned previously running an independent campaign is VERY resource and leadership intensive, qualities Corbyn has demonstrably very little of.
Sources please for this ‘door step feedback ‘

It doesn't feel to me that Labour HQ has gone out of its way to place a "rising star" as their candidate in Islington North. I think they have long decided to write this one off.

I'm not there, so I don't know what resources the LP is putting in, but I don't see what's in it for a candidate - better, I think, to go for some no hope seat in South Shropshire or whatever, cut your teeth there and not alienate a slice of the party by going up against someone they like/respect/have some sympathy with.

I think you'd have to be a, err... positive thinker to image you'd beat Corbyn in his own constituency - It seems like spending a great deal of candle for a pretty poor game.

I thought about trying for the nomination on my own constituency where I think the party has a solid chance (50/50+) - but decided not to because I'm simply not prepared to take a 50/50 chance on being an unemployed ex-candidate on the 5th of July. In Islington N, against Corbyn who's been the MP there since Joseph was an apprentice? No fucking chance....

Back
Top Bottom