Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

It's Sunday and Lover's Rock is sacred!!!

Sorry to hear that Rutita, at least you got a special tune for pops. I was at a funeral the other week and the congregation sang Prescious Memories hence my earlier post r.e. Jim Reeves. When you get time have a listen to it again, its such an uplifting tune and the words are so true.

Maybe we should start another thread on sad sunday tunes eh.

Sorry to hear that Rutita, at least you got a special tune for pops. I was at a funeral the other week and the congregation sang Prescious Memories hence my earlier post r.e. Jim Reeves. When you get time have a listen to it again, its such an uplifting tune and the words are so true.

Maybe we should start another thread on sad sunday tunes eh.

Jim Reeves is another main stay of our household/old times so yeah I know it. Mum still has a 78 box set. Love it!

Here's a curious one. Abacush were a very cultural all-woman band from the 80s but they very nearly had a pop chart hit with this little floater, thanks to Tony Blackburn of LBC

thanks for all these tunes - they have chilled me out while I do my weekly planning
any chance of one of you putting them into a mix cloud collection? (cheeky ask)

Here's a curious one. Abacush were a very cultural all-woman band from the 80s but they very nearly had a pop chart hit with this little floater, thanks to Tony Blackburn of LBC
i never understood why more modern lovers tunes dont get picked up by radio 2 or what not. I thought this could have been a hit in the UK if mainstream radio had picked up on it

i never understood why more modern lovers tunes dont get picked up by radio 2 or what not. I thought this could have been a hit in the UK if mainstream radio had picked up on it

You're quite right. But in the last 10 years, reggae has been happy to truck along with the Greensleeves/VP releases and they are mostly coming out of the US with only a sketchy UK presence.

I love Beres: I love his smokey-soul voice and his rootsiness and most of all, I love this tune. Sometimes, with reggae, you think it's just about the riddim and the song on top is not of any great matter. But if you look at the lyrics of this tune, it's a great sufferer's soul song....

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bereshammond/puttingupresistance.html

That was far too hectic to be a Sunday.Time to relax now and why not, a little Beres and a little respect for Rutita and Mum for getting this thread going

Back
Top Bottom