Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Lol. Have a nice lunch or something you grump.
it's a very simple point: putting something in a manifesto doesn't mean it will be adhered to. there's the lib dems' tuition fees. there's quite a few parts of the nsdap 20 point programme. not a given that something in there will be pursued.

it's a very simple point: putting something in a manifesto doesn't mean it will be adhered to. there's the lib dems' tuition fees. there's quite a few parts of the nsdap 20 point programme. not a given that something in there will be pursued.

Yes. I was agreeing with you. Manifestos are tissue paper and anyone outraged that they are not followed is naive. Even with the best will (very little on offer) circumstances may change.

There will be climbdowns and fudges and lots of jiggery pokery until there’s just enough argument for a second referendum and we will be back where we where – apart from seeing the near complete meltdown of the british political establishment and possible splitting or even destruction of both of the main parties.

I've got to admit, when the deadline of 29 March 2019 was set two years ago, I didn't think "Is Brexit actually going to happen" would still be a question people were asking on 28 March. Not sure how anybody can look at the clown show in Parliament and still conclude that the EU is the source of Britain's problems...

I've got to admit, when the deadline of 29 March 2019 was set two years ago, I didn't think "Is Brexit actually going to happen" would still be a question people were asking on 28 March. Not sure how anybody can look at the clown show in Parliament and still conclude that the EU is the source of Britain's problems...
britain's problems would be solved by demolishing the palace of westminster with the legislators inside and convening a constituent assembly at the excel centre or some other similar sized venue

Maybe Sealand could invade and take over. Pretty sure they have boats so that’s at least one step ahead of the current shower.

:D

There's only one person on Sealand, holding the fort, and knowing the old hippy, he will not be invading anywhere. :D

There is more than enough blame to share round. But yep.

I am going to spend £2.49 tomorrow streaming Passport to Pimlico if no tv scheduler had the wit to put it on.

Last edited:
OK, the point about the GE I accept: there were no other options. But what are you arguing? That because in every election some people don’t vote (often including me), and some people vote for the losing proposition, that elections should be discounted? You need to state your thesis more clearly.

Not arguing at all and no thesis. Just giving a point to ponder.

gosub said:

While of course I’m aware of those alternatives, I have no recollection of receiving such a letter from the government. This was issued to all households during the referendum campaign, you say?

ETA : APOLOGIES, Health warning on what I posted below .... this quote from National Archives slightly clarifies? -- this statement was prominent on the NA page too :oops: :

National Archives said:
This site contains government information on the EU referendum. No material was published on this website between 27 May and 23 June 2016, in line with the restrictions set out in the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.

But 23rd June 2016 date still looks like the date of the leaflet being published, no?? As the date of being Archived is given as 15th August 2016.

So some of my earlier points (below) still stand, probably .....

I don't remember receiving this leaflet (?) either (I was at Glastonbury at the time and after getting back, I probably just chucked all referendum-related shit into the paper recycling).

This leaflet (gosub 's link) has got to have been separate from the sixteen page Government-issue booklet though, because (archived version) of this one is dated 23rd June 2016 ... i.e Thursday 23rd June 2016, i.e. actual referendum day -- would such a leaflet have been posted out so ultra-last minute as that? :confused:

The main booklet was definitely earlier than that anyway. But I expect I'm missing some vital point :oops:

Last edited:
"Dinner"

heart-test-ekg.gif

ETA : APOLOGIES, Health warning on what I posted below .... this quote from National Archives slightly clarifies? -- this statement was prominent on the NA page too :oops: :

But 23rd June 2016 date still looks like the date of the leaflet being published, no?? As the date of being Archived is given as 15th August 2016.

So some of my earlier points (below) still stand, probably .....

I don't remember receiving this leaflet (?) either (I was at Glastonbury at the time and after getting back, I probably just chucked all referendum-related shit into the paper recycling).

This leaflet (gosub 's link) has got to have been separate from the sixteen page Government-issue booklet though, because (archived version) of this one is dated 23rd June 2016 ... i.e Thursday 23rd June 2016, i.e. actual referendum day -- would such a leaflet have been posted out so ultra-last minute as that? :confused:

The main booklet was definitely earlier than that anyway. But I expect I'm missing some vital point :oops:

Its the same content as was in the booklet

Not exactly gracious of me, but every time I hear a brexit supporter say if this or if that they will never vote again, I find myself saying 'good'.

Unless you think there is something 100% wrong with those who voted leave and their reasons for doing so it surely depends om the 'if this and the 'if thats' no? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom