Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Right. I'm going to butt in here. Because Brexit and feminism collided a long time ago and this fact seems to have passed many by.

Firstly, of all the people who voted leave, it is the women who have the most to lose. If there is any risk to goods becoming more expensive and jobs being lost, ultimately that creates a situation where women are going to be more reliant than ever on men, especially working class women. Those trying to leave abusive relationships would find it more difficult. The prospect of being paid a decent whack to do caring jobs decreases significantly. It takes a lot more courage for a woman to upset the status quo by voting leave than it does a man. No surprise, then, that women actually voted by a slim margin to stay IN the EU.

I'm finding the tone of this whole thread quite difficult tbh. It would probably kill some of you to hear it but many of you who are talking about remainers as woolly liberal types are actually in many cases speaking from a position of privilege because you're men.
Austerity has had a clear gendered impact, with regard to direct impacts and impacts such as cuts in funding for refuges. Oh, and what about when that austerity is directed by the EU, along with the other institutions of neo-liberalism? For example:
https://www.rosalux.eu/fileadmin/us...AusterityandFeminismaftertheCrisis_Greece.pdf

Austerity has had a clear gendered impact, with regard to direct impacts and impacts such as cuts in funding for refuges. Oh, and what about when that austerity is directed by the EU, along with the other institutions of neo-liberalism? For example:
https://www.rosalux.eu/fileadmin/us...AusterityandFeminismaftertheCrisis_Greece.pdf
Austerity is a condition of entry to both the EU and to the eurozone. Not just in passing conjuctural way but requiring being writ into the states constitutions. It's not just happening because of bad leaders - they are so far beyond that shit. They are quite openly making it illegal not to do austerity.

It's usually pre-established. Until no deal Brexit comes along and cancels your trade agreements with Japan, for example. Then you don't know what tariffs and process fees could be applied, and what that means for the businesses sending goods on the ships.
They're constantly subject to change, that's why you have incoterms in the first place and it's why they're structured the way they are.

Austerity is a condition of entry to both the EU and to the eurozone. Not just in passing conjuctural way but requiring being writ into the states constitutions. It's not just happening because of bad leaders - they are so far beyond that shit. They are quite openly making it illegal not to do austerity.

You are probably referring to the fiscal compact which the UK and Czech Rep opted out of:

European Fiscal Compact - Wikipedia

Investor-state dispute settlement. That's what membership has so far kept at bay. TTIP didn't happen because other Europeans fought hard against it although the British government pushed hard for it. The US is now demanding an ISDS process as part of any trade deal and personally I'm doubtful this or any other UK government will resist.
Except for the fact that investor state dispute settlement mechanisms are already part of existing trade deals such as the recent EU- Canada deal. And far from resisting them it is the EU policy to include them in future trade deals.

So, whatcha all think of Trump's plan for a new trade agreement with the UK after Brexit?

upload_2019-3-3_22-28-29.png

The preamble sets out clearly what the US wants to happen - a quick deal that delivers "substantive results for U.S. consumers, businesses, farmers, ranchers, and workers, consistent with U.S. priorities."

Here's part of the shopping list of what they want to achieve from the "negotiations."

- Remove barriers to importing US food and agricultural products into the UK.
- New, enforceable rules to end "unjustified" trade restrictions or "commercial requirements" (like clear labelling and safety testing).
- US Pharmaceutical companies to have full access to the UK Market (i.e. NHS).
- US companies have the same access to UK government contracts as UK companies do.
- Allow US companies to sue UK firms and the UK government for non-compliance with any of the new "rules."
- Prohibit the UK from adjusting its exchange rates if it could effect the balance of payments or give unfair competitive advantage over US companies.

I suspect the outcome of US-UK trade negotiations will be a deal that looks something like this. (Hint: The lions here aren't British.)
giphy.gif

OK, please forgive because I am an errant thicko, but I asked my neighbouring beef farmer about his impending doom and he was honestly a bit baffled although expressed a few doubts that he might not have such a wide choice of bottled spunk...and from my point of view, I am thinking of Lincolnshire bulb fields and many small nurseries, not just unable to compete with a far less employer friendly Dutch model... but global movement of diseased plant stock has almost certainly ushered in chalara and the threat of xylella.

creeps from thread in dismay.

nice to see you back :)

I'm verging on eco-fascist - no free movement of plants so no import or export of plants/bushes/trees without very good reason. Several tree species seem now threatened with wipeout. I have some disease resistant elms from scotland I'm hopeful for, but the native Cornish elms round here as nearly everywhere else are generally fucked :(

Last edited:
I wonder to what extent the whole thing is a hoax. That it will be aborted and that they will still find a way to fuck us over. e.g. That this austerity is the thin end of the wedge. It's what some people would want and benefit from.

Its a fucking atrocious shambles all over at any rate.

So, whatcha all think of Trump's plan for a new trade agreement with the UK after Brexit?

View attachment 163527

The preamble sets out clearly what the US wants to happen - a quick deal that delivers "substantive results for U.S. consumers, businesses, farmers, ranchers, and workers, consistent with U.S. priorities."

Here's part of the shopping list of what they want to achieve from the "negotiations."

- Remove barriers to importing US food and agricultural products into the UK.
- New, enforceable rules to end "unjustified" trade restrictions or "commercial requirements" (like clear labelling and safety testing).
- US Pharmaceutical companies to have full access to the UK Market (i.e. NHS).
- US companies have the same access to UK government contracts as UK companies do.
- Allow US companies to sue UK firms and the UK government for non-compliance with any of the new "rules."
- Prohibit the UK from adjusting its exchange rates if it could effect the balance of payments or give unfair competitive advantage over US companies.

I suspect the outcome of US-UK trade negotiations will be a deal that looks something like this. (Hint: The lions here aren't British.)
giphy.gif
The undisguised glee with which you post stuff about people not getting medicines is fucking vile.

How does the stuff about market access, for example full access to the UK pharma market (and by association the NHS) differ from what we're signed up to now with the EU?

The fixing of exchange rates sounds like pure fantasy too, how would they even do that?

...How does the stuff about market access, for example full access to the UK pharma market (and by association the NHS) differ from what we're signed up to now with the EU?...
Because they want access to the govt IT contracts as well. They're looking to take it all.

Reactions: CRI
How does the stuff about market access, for example full access to the UK pharma market (and by association the NHS) differ from what we're signed up to now with the EU?

Access to the NHS is very heavily regulated. In the US the market is very different where suppliers can directly market to the healthcare sector, sales reps etc. My g/f works in the wider pharma marketing industry and what they can do and say is heavily regulated in the UK in a way that it isn't in the US.

The assumption is that US companies would want direct unfettered access to this market. Obviously this isn't automatically going to happen with any trade deal because the government can just say no, but it is what the US will want, of course.

Funny how they found all this money down the back of the sofa, or something. DUP still got a much bigger bung though. So unfair.

£1.6bn 'bribe' for poorer towns as May seeks Labour's backing for Brexit deal

Pretty pathetic bribe as well - £1.6 bn over 7 years allocated to regions not based on need, but to persuade Labour MPs there to back the Government.

Over a six year period from 20201, the UK was projected to receive 13 bn, allocated to areas of demonstrable need using criteria for assessment agreed across the EU. The darker green the areas in the first map, the higher the levels of socio-economic deprivation and/or projections of hardship in the future.

For all the folks bleating about how the money put into the EU pot can now be kept back so "our" Government can decide where to spend it, this is how that actually plays out.

upload_2019-3-4_11-59-21.pngupload_2019-3-4_12-0-30.png

West and North Wales can kiss goodbye to the fuckton of development funding they would have got from the EU, and they'll be getting sweet FA from Theresa May's round of bribes. Scottish MPs are of no use to the Tories, so Scotland gets zilch as well. There's little correspondence between the areas set to get the most from May's bribe fund and the areas with greatest need, but that's hardly shocking, given the purpose for the bungs.

Back
Top Bottom