Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
And jobs lost due to cafes, shops and other businesses those employees use. It will take years, significant investment (from where?) and actual demand for the products for a shift from car manufacturing to some warm, fuzzy, socially beneficial, eco-friendly thing. In the mean time, let them eat grass, eh? :hmm:
The Lexiteers will agree with me though, because this whole thing is an opporrunity for a shake-up and a move to better things. We can get rid of the bankers and the car companies at the same time.

The Lexiteers will agree with me though, because this whole thing is an opporrunity for a shake-up and a move to better things. We can get rid of the bankers and the car companies at the same time.
We're not rid of the bankers; that's what Brexit is all about.

Only the ones who refuse to ride unicorns!

And jobs lost due to cafes, shops and other businesses those employees use. It will take years, significant investment (from where?) and actual demand for the products for a shift from car manufacturing to some warm, fuzzy, socially beneficial, eco-friendly thing. In the mean time, let them eat grass, eh? :hmm:
I love how we've got 3 Liberal remain freaks arguing between themselves and against a position nobody holds.

Hopefully one upside of Brexit will be the collapse of the UK car manufacturing industry and we can start making some socially useful things instead.

Don't they also make electric and hybrede models in Sunderland?

I like the idea of cars as a service as a way to tackle pollution, conjestion and whatnot but it still relies on having actual cars.

Don't they also make electric and hybrede models in Sunderland?

I like the idea of cars as a service as a way to tackle pollution, conjestion and whatnot but it still relies on having actual cars.
The Leaf...And vane They don't currently do hybrid or electrics for their larger cars. Presume they will eventually but think they are a bit rabbit in headlights at mo

Reactions: CRI

If shaking things up by huge amounts of job losses is a lexiter plan I'm not sure it'll be very popular.

If shaking things up by huge amounts of job losses is a lexiter plan I'm not sure it'll be very popular.

This thread has much discussion of lexiter plans where massive economic disruption is welcomed, in return for longer term benefits. Apparently this is what large portions of the population willingly voted for. People say so on this thread, so I think it must be true.

Lexit's not a thing though, is it.

Meanwhile it sounds like the gov is attempting to deny the £60-80m to Nissan, although different media outlets can't agree on either the number or what's happening to it. What could possibly go wrong?

1*SOvUBM3ay35FLRMdU3uyqw.jpeg

This was the ballot paper. One of the more reliable guides as to what people voted for.
Four words, the verb being 'leave'.
I find it easier to discuss around those four words. The UK will leave the EU.
The UK is over here having 'left', the EU is over there.
Two separate entities with no instruction that those entities will be joined up in any way.
The vote was to 'leave'.
So once separate there is a border, (unless I am mistaken and leave actually means joined together.)
But lo!
Pesky Geography shows that the EU and the UK although apart are joined together by land.
The question remains after all this time about how exactly do you manifest leaving something you are physically joined together with on that actual land.
If those who voted leave knew what they voted for, perhaps they can tell the rest of us how they think it will be done.

Yes.

This Guardian piece from 27/10/16 makes interesting reading in the light of today's revelation.

This is particularly smelly:
No 10 refused to say what has been promised to the car industry or to say whether any public money was involved, although it signalled that it had not made any declaration to the EU about a proposal to offer state aid. “The assurances are that we will get the best possible deal from leaving the EU,” May’s deputy official spokesman said. “There was no special deal for Nissan.”

1*SOvUBM3ay35FLRMdU3uyqw.jpeg

This was the ballot paper. One of the more reliable guides as to what people voted for.
Four words, the verb being 'leave'.
I find it easier to discuss around those four words. The UK will leave the EU.
The UK is over here having 'left', the EU is over there.
Two separate entities with no instruction that those entities will be joined up in any way.
The vote was to 'leave'.
So once separate there is a border, (unless I am mistaken and leave actually means joined together.)
But lo!
Pesky Geography shows that the EU and the UK although apart are joined together by land.
The question remains after all this time about how exactly do you manifest leaving something you are physically joined together with on that actual land.
If those who voted leave knew what they voted for, perhaps they can tell the rest of us how they think it will be done.
There is currently a border between NI and Eire, just as there is a border between, for example, France and Belgium.

You (and others) might also benefit from reading this
Brexit: Does the Irish peace accord rule out a hard border?
What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border? A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security. During the Troubles there were heavily fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. They were frequently attacked by Republican paramilitaries.
Part of the peace deal involved the UK government agreeing to a process of removing those installations in what became known as "demilitarisation". The agreement states that "the development of a peaceful environment... can and should mean a normalisation of security arrangements and practices." The government committed to "as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat". That included "the removal of security installations". That is as far as the text goes. There is no explicit commitment to never harden the border, and there is nothing about customs posts or regulatory controls.

Just heard part of Clark's statement to the Commons in which he acknowledges Nissan's "No-Deal Brexit" concerns and said that they "should be listened to and encourage Parliament to come together...etc."

May's loyalists to her 'deal' are certainly trying to use this Nissan shit-show.

Back
Top Bottom