Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
No one in the EU will be buying the X Trail, cos the EU has rules that add massive tariffs to polluting diesels, (effectively banned from London with the ULEZ), which is why they won’t build the X Trail in the EU or in the UK. Brexit is nothing to do with Nissan changing its mind on building X Trails in Sunderland. However much you want it to be so.
Plenty of pro-Brexit people are extremely keen to find something else to blame this on, be it non-Brexit conditions or the supposed inevitable movement of capital. However: diesel may be down, and Nissan may be in trouble, but SUV demand isn't going away any time soon, it's not that difficult to re-engine a model for petrol or electric, and the solution to market suitability problems isn't to stop making cars, it's to pivot and make the right thing instead, as many are doing. On any of those notes, I doubt very much that there's going to be any replacement production at Sunderland any time soon, and I doubt this will be the last cancellation or abandonment of its type. I think you dismiss this entirely predictable outcome at your peril.

Plenty of pro-Brexit people are extremely keen to find something else to blame this on, be it non-Brexit conditions or the supposed inevitable movement of capital. However: diesel may be down, and Nissan may be in trouble, but SUV demand isn't going away any time soon, it's not that difficult to re-engine a model for petrol or electric, and the solution to market suitability problems isn't to stop making cars, it's to pivot and make the right thing instead, as many are doing. On any of those notes, I doubt very much that there's going to be any replacement production at Sunderland any time soon, and I doubt this will be the last cancellation or abandonment of its type. I think you dismiss this entirely predictable outcome at your peril.
Only not liked due to use of "pivot".

Read Nissan’s own statement as to why they have now decided not to carry through within the decision they made in 2016 to make a small percentage of new X Trails here. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

Read Nissan’s own statement as to why they have now decided not to carry through within the decision they made in 2016 to make a small percentage of new X Trails here. It has nothing to do with Brexit.
Trouble is...there are reasons why corps & elements of May’s administration may choose to be economical with the actualité; who knows to what extent this production decision was influenced by Brexit?

Does, though, demonstrate sovereignty and who really can take back control...irrespective of the UK’s relationship with the supra-state.

Yeah, I get the sense that some decisions that were already made are being released to gain a little traction.
You have to wonder at the sheer amount of them, though.

Where I work we are doing a huge amount of "Brexit mitigation" stuff. It is ironically making my company some money right now, but no one views it as a good thing.

Update to Production Plan for Next-Generation X-Trail

"While we have taken this decision for business reasons, the continued uncertainty around the UK's future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future."

It's not 'nothing', is it?

We will play this game plenty more times, I'm sure, but likely piecemeal and with ambiguities instead of en masse and with clarity.

I remember before 2016 when no companies ever announced mass redundancies in the UK. A happier time of unproblematic economic growth.
That's really good satire for anyone who thinks things just happen randomly and cause and effect is a sort of myth.

Fantastic line on Beeb telly news earlier explaining that "large companies don't like to involve themselves in politics.." Um, yes they do, what they don't like is doing so publicallly and transparently.

That said the Japanese companiest have probably been at the more honourable end of how the large cooperates conduct themselves, especially over Brexit, but its not but the only factor clearly going to be a shake up given the arrest of Ghosn, already on top of emissions cheating....shame they ain't got hybrid varients of both X Trail nor the Qashqai they will still make at Sunderland

....So its not just UK thats fucking this up....Thats the EUropean Parliament's spokesman on Brexit (good help us) - for 2.5 years the EU has been saying it will not discuss future relationship until the divorce terms are settled

Lol "eating biss-quits and drinking tea"

No one in the EU will be buying the X Trail, cos the EU has rules that add massive tariffs to polluting diesels, (effectively banned from London with the ULEZ), which is why they won’t build the X Trail in the EU or in the UK. Brexit is nothing to do with Nissan changing its mind on building X Trails in Sunderland. However much you want it to be so.

As an aside, they only make and sell the petrol version in Japan. Not sure if Japanese emission and tax regs make selling diesel passenger vehicles worthwhile, unless they're for taxis. Did one with the SR20DET in it. Would have been fun.

Hopefully one upside of Brexit will be the collapse of the UK car manufacturing industry and we can start making some socially useful things instead.

I remember before 2016 when no companies ever announced mass redundancies in the UK. A happier time of unproblematic economic growth.
Fair point, but the concern for the Government will be the extent to which this decision to withdraw Foreign Direct Investment represents an indicator of a trend towards the need for ever more costly 'incentives' to invest within the UK. Japanese automotive FDI in the UK since 1986 has been based upon producing for the EU market from the most 'trans-Atlantic'/English speaking EU member state. Were the UK to end up outside a CU (and the Japanese/EU FTA) the logic of UK based Japanese-owned production is obviously undermined.

This shocker for May has already revealed that £60m of corporate welfare was bunged at Nissan in 2016 just to keep quiet about Brexit.

I was asked yesterday if I could do a quick stocktake in the machine spares stores yesterday. As there has been a sudden realisation by management that vital spares may be delayed following Brexit, this fear was highlighted by our Dutch and German suppliers, even though all our engineers have been saying this for a year!

Just got the spares budget asked for signed off. £231,000, order gone in, replies from German and Dutch suppliers estimate delivery from four weeks to eighteen months!!!!
We haven’t left yet. :D

856,000 people out of a job in pursuit of your confused eco-nationalism :thumbs:
And jobs lost due to cafes, shops and other businesses those employees use. It will take years, significant investment (from where?) and actual demand for the products for a shift from car manufacturing to some warm, fuzzy, socially beneficial, eco-friendly thing. In the mean time, let them eat grass, eh? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom