Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
I have to say I assumed we were past the point of referendum territory, but if they do go for it then I'm a bit nervous about how ugly it could get.
Oh no - gammon/dad's army riot - scary!

Riddle me this though: what will they do when they can't find any unprotected female MPs to harass/stab? Suspect riot police may be a slightly harder target.

Has anyone suggested breaking the deadlock with a BRINO concession on the EU's part?

I give you: a rename to the European Younion.

To the tune of the Flintstones: goodbye EU, hello Ee You, it's the European Younion. Not a re-do, this is all new, it's the European Newnioooon.

We do need to rule out a No Deal Brexit and there is a majority in the HoC for it but Corbyn's current tack seems to prioritise splitting the Tories over actually ruling it a No Deal Brexit. Perhaps that will change. He is still smarting a bit from the failure of his slightly premature VONC which might have been better timed for early next week.

Much better to do something positive and practical to avoid and rule out a No Deal Brexit it such as working on motions to extend or revoke Article 50.

I’m sure the right wing press would be on the vinegar strokes if Corbyn stepped in to ‘frustrate Brexit’ by extending/revoking art.50. It’s something that is possibly going to be necessary due to May’s ineptness, but would delight certain people if it was the communist gnome taking the blame. Not going to happen, let Theresa wipe her own arse.

I don't know about "dictatorship" but there's a few pretty undemocratic ideas being floated:

• Appointed rather than elected MEPs for the UK should this not be resolved by the upcoming Euro election.
  • So-called Citizens Assemblies selected at "random" (like the QT audience?) To play a role in the decision.
  • Cross-bench alliances to push remain/BINO through.

Which side is this all coming from? Oh, the side that allowed an unelected government in a major member nation just a few years ago? Yep. That side. Remain ain't exactly the guardian of democracy.

I’m sure the right wing press would be on the vinegar strokes if Corbyn stepped in to ‘frustrate Brexit’ by extending/revoking art.50. It’s something that is possibly going to be necessary due to May’s ineptness, but would delight certain people if it was the communist gnome taking the blame. Not going to happen, let Theresa wipe her own arse.

I can just imagine how shameless the press would be in pinning any delay on Corbyn despite the obvious fact it's May who has fucked this up in every possible way.

I don't know about "dictatorship" but there's a few pretty undemocratic ideas being floated:

• Appointed rather than elected MEPs for the UK should this not be resolved by the upcoming Euro election.
  • So-called Citizens Assemblies selected at "random" (like the QT audience?) To play a role in the decision.
  • Cross-bench alliances to push remain/BINO through.

Which side is this all coming from? Oh, the side that allowed an unelected government in a major member nation just a few years ago? Yep. That side. Remain ain't exactly the guardian of democracy.

Is that less democratic than the situation we have now?

FWIW I agree that remain is in general terms no more interested in democracy than leave.

Is that less democratic than the situation we have now?

Yep. I think so. I think it's part of a trend away from liberal democracy and towards technocracy.

Not that I think that liberal democracy is particularly democratic either.

FWIW I agree that remain is in general terms no more interested in democracy than leave.

Yep. That was my main point. The EU has a track record of it. The Leavers don't, yet

Yep. I think so. I think it's part of a trend away from liberal democracy and towards technocracy.

Not that I think that liberal democracy is particularly democratic either.

Yep. That was my main point. The EU has a track record of it. The Leavers don't, yet

The leavers do have a track record for cheating in referendums tbf.

Back
Top Bottom