Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
The common travel area negates borders in the usual sense.
When you travel from Lewisham to Bromley the speed limit changes, but there are no border checks as such between those boroughs. I think of the CTA in Ireland as being like going from Lewisham to Bromley.
The significance is that it you leave something there is a border.

So all states with common area treaties are then, by this absurd logic, also members of EU style supra-states. We could literally annul every piece of EU legislation but if we have a common travel area agreement with Ireland we are still in the EU. Right.

(Ah i wasn't thinking of that picture - was expecting the only stupid bastards use heroin one from the 80s, probably being worn by new model army)

There's a sort of bittersweet feeling watching all the great expectations on both sides being dashed by the price they suddenly realising they have to pay to get their choice through.

Even two years after the result, there's no rest for the fantasists on both both sides thinking that one more push will lead them towards a brave new world be it some mythical pan-European free market or the 51st State of a WTO based Atlantacist market.

Such fantasy poison. Street by street faith in liberal democracy is collapsing as social concerns are dismissed as stupid questions. Migrants are villified as vagabonds if they happen to be poor or feted as innicein victims if they're on an Erasmus.

Yet, the Remainer vote has yet to translate into a political voice for Lib Dems or Green and grey men in grey suits chip away at liberal democracy in the name of democracy.

The howl of "get me out" that the referendum result gave voiced is portrayed as impractical Brexiteer purity by the media and the soi-disant moderates as they Scrabble for BINO, but their failure to address this voice leaves a space for others to fill, others perhaps more intent on exploiting division, for good or ill. Here comes the war.

Ignore these voices at your peril, for vengeance will be sought, one way or another

May's deal is not a wonderful way to go. Obviously, she's not the Queen of My Heart or anything, nor anyone elses, but this island is simmering with discontent on all sides. The clock for Article BD3 or whatever it's called is ticking and it's wired to s powder keg that's gonna blow....

I think that's all of them. I'm really, really sorry. Blame butchersapron

• Appointed rather than elected MEPs for the UK should this not be resolved by the upcoming Euro election.
To repeat, the hypothetical-proposal (ive not heard any MP propose it, just some non-parliamentary constitutional nerd who found a precedent) is that the appointed figures act as place holders BEFORE the next EU parliament sits. It would be a way of buying two months of negotiating time. The appointed figures would not sit in parliament or have any power. So meaningless in terms of technocratic power.

So-called Citizens Assemblies selected at "random" (like the QT audience?) To play a role in the decision.
Will never happen, file under "dreams"

Cross-bench alliances to push remain/BINO through.
There is a super slim chance that will happen. A vote on a different plan is a cross-bench alliance of sorts I guess. Not sure any version of that's particularly technocratic though. That would be the (representative) house of commons taking back proverbial control, rather than technocrats taking over.

In short I don't think the 'Dictatorship' angle has anything to it, and even the above suggestions are tame in terms of power at best.
Now, if a Crash Out No Deal happens and one things leads to another and a state of emergency results.....maybe then.:thumbs:

-------
ETA: Just read this on the point #1 appointment of MEPs, which suggests that in one eventuality they might take their seats after all :

"Ambassadors seem keen to signal that they would respond if Boles succeeded in allowing parliament to vote to suspend article 50, so removing the 29 March deadline for the UK’s departure.

A diplomat said: “It must come from the UK parliament, but if it passes a simple bill to delay article 50, then that means no deal is off the table, and Europe, I am sure, will respond not flexibly, but super flexibly.”

The previous assumption that Europe would only accept deferral if there was a clear plan to hold a second referendum seems to be misplaced.

The key issue is not the principle of the suspension, but its duration. Some say suspension can only go so far as the first meeting of the newly elected European parliament in July, but that may not be long enough.

One diplomat suggested the UK’s political parties could appoint MEPs to the new parliament for the interim, probably distributing the seats between the parties on the basis of the last 2014 European elections.
“Some federalists in the European parliament might object, but there is a bigger prize there.”

This diplomat claimed the democratic objections could be overridden in the interests of an orderly Brexit."

Would see UKIP back for more lol

So all states with common area treaties are then, by this absurd logic, also members of EU style supra-states. We could literally annul every piece of EU legislation but if we have a common travel area agreement with Ireland we are still in the EU. Right.
In this specific case there is a CTA with an EU state, Logical or not in order to leave you have to not have a common travel area. Right?

You really don’t know what you’re talking about

There is a common travel area between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
The Republic of Ireland is in the EU.
The UK intends to leave the EU.
There will be differentiation between the EU and the UK in some way or another.
The differences manifest on the/a border.
There will be a border between the UK and the EU.
There exists a common travel area between the UK and the EU, put into place by treaty and a referendum.
So in order to differentiate between the EU and the UK the common travel area has to stop, unless some kind of solution is found.
If the common travel area stops, it happens either because the GFA is changed in some way, or it is ignored in a kind of 'turn a blind eye' way.

So enlighten me and explain which bits of what I have written are wrong.

There is a common travel area between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
The Republic of Ireland is in the EU.
The UK intends to leave the EU.
There will be differentiation between the EU and the UK in some way or another.
The differences manifest on the/a border.
There will be a border between the UK and the EU.
There exists a common travel area between the UK and the EU, put into place by treaty and a referendum.
So in order to differentiate between the EU and the UK the common travel area has to stop, unless some kind of solution is found.
If the common travel area stops, it happens either because the GFA is changed in some way, or it is ignored in a kind of 'turn a blind eye' way.

The point is they are trying to do this without changing the GFA, which is the circle they can't square.

1 There is a common travel area between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
2 The Republic of Ireland is in the EU.
3 The UK intends to leave the EU.
4 There will be differentiation between the EU and the UK in some way or another.
5 The differences manifest on the/a border.
6 There will be a border between the UK and the EU.
7 There exists a common travel area between the UK and the EU, put into place by treaty and a referendum.
Conclusion - So in order to differentiate between the EU and the UK the common travel area has to stop, unless some kind of solution is found.

6 has the wrong tense - there already is a border between the UK and the EU
7 is wrong, as there was no referendum on the issue, it predates the ECSC, let alone the EU.

Even if they weren't wrong, your conclusion is not supported by your premises. You haven't shown that a CTA can ONLY exist for countries within the EU (or similar such body).

This is very basic logic, as a 'philosopher', you should be able to construct a basic argument using aristotelian logic. You failed.

Or, just go look at the Nordic Passport Union.

6 has the wrong tense - there already is a border between the UK and the EU
7 is wrong, as there was no referendum on the issue, it predates the ECSC, let alone the EU.

Even if they weren't wrong, your conclusion is not supported by your premises. You haven't shown that a CTA can ONLY exist for countries within the EU (or similar such body).

This is very basic logic, as a 'philosopher', you should be able to construct a basic argument using aristotelian logic. You failed.

Or, just go look at the Nordic Passport Union.

The common travel area started in the 1920's, but there was a hard border as any cursory research would reveal. So 7 is wrong in that it reads like the common travel area happened after the EU. I apologise for that.
However events like both countries joining the EU in the form/name it was at the time, the modern 'troubles', the Good Friday Agreement, has eventually led to a common travel area such as it is today.

1998 Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement referendum - Wikipedia

I have never mentioned that a common travel area can only exist in one particular place, I am not really that aware of others that exist between two countries with different customs arrangements, maybe you know of some examples.

In the Nordic situation there is a Schlengen aspect, and checks at borders on documentation and other paperwork we (re?) introduced in 2015 and 2016 because of the 'migrant crisis'.

If you want to seize on my posts in order to either put me down or put yourself up, go ahead, but it is a handy way of avoiding the notion that the Good Friday Agreement established, more firmly or recently if you like, the common travel area to an extent that border posts were dismantled.

Leaving the EU clashes against the current common travel area within the EU.
If it doesn't, then perhaps you could explain how the land border in Ireland will operate in the future.

Doesn't the CTA between UK and Ireland pre-date the EU?

And wasn't making a comparison with crossing the boundary between two London boroughs exactly the idiocy that Johnson was rightly mocked for some months ago?

Doesn't the CTA between UK and Ireland pre-date the EU?

And wasn't making a comparison with crossing the boundary between two London boroughs exactly the idiocy that Johnson was rightly mocked for some months ago?
the 1923 introduction of the the cta does indeed pre-date the european union

and yes the comparison one which boris de pffefer wanker johnson was roundly mocked for

The common travel area started in the 1920's, but there was a hard border as any cursory research would reveal. So 7 is wrong in that it reads like the common travel area happened after the EU. I apologise for that.
However events like both countries joining the EU in the form/name it was at the time, the modern 'troubles', the Good Friday Agreement, has eventually led to a common travel area such as it is today.

1998 Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement referendum - Wikipedia

I have never mentioned that a common travel area can only exist in one particular place, I am not really that aware of others that exist between two countries with different customs arrangements, maybe you know of some examples.

In the Nordic situation there is a Schlengen aspect, and checks at borders on documentation and other paperwork we (re?) introduced in 2015 and 2016 because of the 'migrant crisis'.

If you want to seize on my posts in order to either put me down or put yourself up, go ahead, but it is a handy way of avoiding the notion that the Good Friday Agreement established, more firmly or recently if you like, the common travel area to an extent that border posts were dismantled.

Leaving the EU clashes against the current common travel area within the EU.
If it doesn't, then perhaps you could explain how the land border in Ireland will operate in the future.
so, basically, you agree you were wrong, and are talking about the GFA not the CTA. The GFA had no formal effect upon the CTA. You are confusing the two.

It makes a thread so incredibly boring when people get caught up in trying to force a person to admit they are wrong, with endless back and forth about the details of how they are incorrect. Why not just correct the person and move on? No important decisions are being made on the basis of errors people make here, unlike in parliament.

It makes a thread so incredibly boring when people get caught up in trying to force a person to admit they are wrong, with endless back and forth about the details of how they are incorrect. Why not just correct the person and move on? No important decisions are being made on the basis of errors people make here, unlike in parliament.
That's cool, until the original person goes 'no, I was right.' And, occasionally, the person making the correction is wrong. It's a bugger.

If you accept Tories are good at what they do and not incompetent (check the track record since 1979...successful) then a no-deal Brexit is by design surely? The EU said 2 years ago there'd be no concessions. So the Checkers thing is just panto for the masses isn't it?
A no deal Brexit will give them (and their backers and mates with lots of liquidity) a great excuse to asset strip the public sphere. It'll be like 'well you voted for it'. I think that's why JRM had a champagne celebration at his place yesterday after the vote of no confidence failed.
I’m sure May wants her withdrawal agreement, or a version of it, to be agreed. The question is what her plan B is if some form of it can’t be agreed. I suspect she would be willing to go for a no deal rather than a fundamental change of approach or another referendum. Either that or she’s bluffing quite well. What she has been successful in is holding her party together. If she had gone for a softer brexit in the first place she would probably have split the party and would have had to depend on opposition support. And if she leads us into a no deal brexit at the end of March, or a few months later, then her party should still be largely intact, whatever the consequences for everyone else. From the point of view of delivering brexit without splitting the Tories her leadership could still be seen as a success.

Would we be in a different position now if someone other than Theresa May had been 'in charge'? I'm not sure we would: we might be sitting with a slightly different compromise deal but still with no majority in the public or parliament in favour of it. Of course everyone enjoys watching and accusing government/parliament ineptitude but the ineptitude happened at the point the referendum was set and with a marginal win for leave it seems pretty inevitable we'd end up like this.
Ask a stupid question/get a stupid answer.
I’d say some kind of Norway type deal could have been achieved but would have been very difficult for any Tory leader to sell to their own party without it leading to a split.

Last edited:
I think that the EU's reaction to a Corbyn led withdrawal negotiation would have been even more obdurate and unbending - the thing they really do not want to happen and really do want to close the door on for the good of their wider undemocratic neo-liberal project is a successful exit from the left that shows that things like workers rights 'state aid' citizen rights etc are not in fact tied to the EU or are evil. That sort of thing being well managed is everything they fear.

Yes, and if anyone doubts that they should read Varoufakis account of Greece's negotiations with the EU/IMF/ECB. What's more the current debate here in Britain - which is basically what model/route allows us to remain as close as possible to the neo-liberal EU single market project as possible - has only been possible because Corbyn failed to outline what a left exit could mean and would entail and left the stage open for the various administrative wings of neo liberalism to battle it out.

Yes, and if anyone doubts that they should read Varoufakis account of Greece's negotiations with the EU/IMF/ECB. What's more the current debate here in Britain - which is basically what model/route allows us to remain as close as possible to the neo-liberal EU single market project as possible - has only been possible because Corbyn failed to outline what a left exit could mean and would entail and left the stage open for the various administrative wings of neo liberalism to battle it out.
that's because auld corbo's really not that left wing, look at his taxation policies for example and compare and contrast with auld red jim callaghan's

that's because auld corbo's really not that left wing, look at his taxation policies for example and compare and contrast with auld red jim callaghan's

Not that much happening today, so since this is one of your favourites... ;)

Agree that Corbyn is failing to show much radicalism but the 1970's and 2019 are quite different contexts. The point was made in 2015 that the 1997 Labour manifesto was to the left of 'Red' Ed Milliband's manifesto. Context is important when making comparisons across time.

Not that much happening today, so since this is one of your favourites... ;)

Agree that Corbyn is failing to show much radicalism but the 1970's and 2019 are quite different contexts. The point was made in 2015 that the 1997 Labour manifesto was to the left of 'Red' Ed Milliband's manifesto. Context is important when making comparisons across time.
if the left of the labour party now is far to the right of the labour party in government in the 1970s then it's not really left is it, if the people everyone thought then were right wing shits are now almost revolutionary in comparison to the dross so many people are lauding as leftists now

if the left of the labour party now is far to the right of the labour party in government in the 1970s then it's not really left is it, if the people everyone thought then were right wing shits are now almost revolutionary in comparison to the dross so many people are lauding as leftists now

By that logic, the Tory party in the 1950's and 60's was to the left of Corbyn.

Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom