Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Why are you so eager to take me out of the one piece of legislation that protects me from future gay-hating Tory governments?

This being the Tory Party of Justine Greening, Ruth Davidson, Alan Duncan, Nigel Evans and Michael Fabricant.

I think a lot of people see membership of the EU as bringing us closer to other Europeans.

I've never thought of Norwegians as particularly standoffish due to their arms-length treatment of the EU. Unless I go somewhere and notice due to the admin, I'm generally unaware of a country's status, and can't say I feel closer to them or not on this basis.

I suppose certain kinds of cooperation, like that among scientists, is going to influence a small number of people.

Closer in what sense ... the same passport covers? Six of them sharing a two-bed flat next door?

<shakes fist at sexually-liberal Norwegians next door> :mad:

Wait - they're not even members! I can't believe I've been listening to them shagging all this time and they're not even signed up! :mad:

Reactions: tim
I've never thought of Norwegians as particularly standoffish due to their arms-length treatment of the EU. Unless I go somewhere and notice due to the admin, I'm generally unaware of a country's status, and can't say I feel closer to them or not on this basis.

I suppose certain kinds of cooperation, like that among scientists, is going to influence a small number of people.

More along the lines of people having friends in Europe and the EU means they have something in common.

More along the lines of people having friends in Europe and the EU means they have something in common.

Most of the scientists I know are very pro-EU, but it's like the infrastructure upon which their whole kinda 'club' works, and I like meeting their research mates when they come over and stuff. I've also had friends from work (connected to science but we're more of a contractor) leave the country due to this nonsense (earlier on, when the right to remain was a lot less clear). One came back when things were cleared up.

There is a degree to which it does feel to some like we're being broken up from our mates, but that seems to me to be a very small number overall.

There is a degree to which it does feel to some like we're being broken up from our mates, but that seems to me to be a very small number overall.

I'd have thought a larger number - a lot of people aren't interested in politics and don't really see the EU as a political body. The xenophobic Leave campaign also I think pushed people the other way and they see a vote for membership of the EU as standing against racism.

I'd have thought a larger number - a lot of people aren't interested in politics and don't really see the EU as a political body. The xenophobic Leave campaign also I think pushed people the other way and they see a vote for membership of the EU as standing against racism.

It's a very simplistic stance, but I think you're right.
Farage helped cement that impression with his posters.

Yep. And when remainers talk about the racism of leave voters they're really talking about people who were swayed by that sort of message. They don't recognize that most leave voters didn't actually vote leave for that reason.

Yep. And when remainers talk about the racism of leave voters they're really talking about people who were swayed by that sort of message. They don't recognize that most leave voters didn't actually vote leave for that reason.

Sovereignty being the most common reason quoted, as eny fule no.

I agree with this. However, there was a pretty strong correlation between number of people in an area not born in Britain and that area voting remain. There are loads of ways to divide the vote, not all of them particularly useful, but it does seem that the more foreigners you personally know, the more likely you were to vote remain. I do think that's relevant - I have quite a few EU national mates, and their situation most certainly affects my view of this. And while it wasn't the only reason, immigration was cited by many as a major reason for voting leave. tbh when people cited 'sovereignty', I suspect a degree of immigration control mixed in there as well. Combining that with the various social attitude surveys of remain/leave voters does paint a picture of the vote where the older you were, the fewer foreigners you knew, and the more generally socially conservative you were, the more likely you were to vote leave. Many younger people in many parts of the country will barely know anyone in their circle who voted leave, aside perhaps from their parents. I'm not so young any more, but my parents, who both voted leave, would fit all those categories: old, don't know many foreigners, generally socially conservative.

When people talk about the anger of the leave side if brexit doesn't happen, they should also remember the anger of the remain side if it does. While it is of course true that not all leave voters are stupid racists, it is equally true that not all remain voters are privileged elitists.

When people talk about the anger of the leave side if brexit doesn't happen, they should also remember the anger of the remain side if it does. While it is of course true that not all leave voters are stupid racists, it is equally true that not all remain voters are privileged elitists.

Though I am a privileged elitist. :cool:
Now stroke my strawberry-scented mane, you plebs! :mad:

How have they been outwitted? What she has done is basically thrown a sicky on the day she was due to attend a meeting at which she was going to be demoted.
I've been out all night since writing that post, so I might have missed developments. But anyway, my logic was that was another step - she got it through cabinet, they missed the 48 letters and now she avoided the vote in parliament. When it does come back to a vote, the logic might be 'look, look, we crash out in x days. Vote for this or.. wasteland'. She's put the vote off, but she might have put it off to a point where chronological desperation works in her favour.

I've been out all night since writing that post, so I might have missed developments. But anyway, my logic was that was another step - she got it through cabinet, they missed the 48 letters and now she avoided the vote in parliament.

There are only 26 letters, as eny fule no.

Back
Top Bottom