Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Sometimes you forget just how supine politicians are. They've just wasted several days gassing, only to find she's pressed the reset button. She probably knew a week ago there was no movement towards the deal from the Tories and pretty much knew she would call it off around then. Just about the ultimate contempt for parliament. I've got contempt for parliament, but that's a different matter...

Leaders avoiding votes for procedural reasons? Ring any bells SpackleFrog ? :p

This would be the human rights thing which isn't anything to do with the EU I suppose

Yep european court of human rights is part of the council of europe which is a seperate organisation from eu. I think many leavers and remainers alike confuse them.

IIRC May wanted to pull out of the human rights bill when she took over but didn't have enough support in parliament.

Council of Europe - Wikipedia

You mean minority SNP government, propped up by the Greens. A bit rich Sturgeon spouting on, when she doesn't even have a majority in her own parliament, and is about to see their budget voted down. :)
Ah yes...the libdems refusing to support the budget unless the SNP stop campaigning for independence. We'll see how that goes at the next election.

Your party's being propped up by the DUP isn't it? Anti-abortion, homophobic, racists. Well done you.

True, but whether it’s him or a deputy speaker they are bound to refer to the house procedures and rules.
Contempt of parliament is something any government should at least try to avoid.
Yes, but today they knew exactly what they were doing and that, however Brecow might have been peeved, they could do this and kick the whole down the road.

There has been far too much reference of these rights only achieved through the EU.
For instance 8 hour shifts etc.
The trade union movement was responsible for most rights in this country.
The eu didn't prevent the prevention of terrorism act, the 1988 (and indeed1992) local government finance acts, clause 28, the cja, the terrorism act 2000 etc.

Dear Corbyn, jrm, Johnson et al, you've just been outwitted - how does it feel? Maybe May should have scattered some of Intercity Firm calling card around.

I don't think gay rights are really a gift of the EU, but I don't think mocking a gay man for being worried about the impact of brexit on his rights is a good look lads.

I really don't mind - I would rather they revealed themselves now, at least I know with what and with whom I am dealing.
Yep european court of human rights is part of the council of europe which is a seperate organisation from eu. I think many leavers and remainers alike confuse them.

IIRC May wanted to pull out of the human rights bill when she took over but didn't have enough support in parliament.

Council of Europe - Wikipedia

This is like pulling teeth. I'm referring not to the ECHR but the EU Charter, which was rescinded in UK law as part of the Withdrawal Act - do you understand what was in that Charter, which will no longer apply to LGBT people post-Brexit?

If you do understand what rights I am losing, I ask why you would take them away from me without replacing them in UK law?

If you don't understand what rights I am losing, I ask WHY ON EARTH you voted to destroy something that protects LGBT people and their partners within the EU?

I really don't mind - I would rather they revealed themselves now, at least I know with what and with whom I am dealing.
Do you really think urban is a hotbed of homophobia? Do you really think anyone who voted leave did so to actively deprive you of any rights (and that's completely separate to the question of whether not being in the EU really does deprive LGBT people of their rights)?

This is like pulling teeth. I'm referring not to the ECHR but the EU Charter, which was rescinded in UK law as part of the Withdrawal Act - do you understand what was in that Charter, which will no longer apply to LGBT people post-Brexit?

If you do understand what rights I am losing, I ask why you would take them away from me without replacing them in UK law?

If you don't understand what rights I am losing, I ask WHY ON EARTH you voted to destroy something that protects LGBT people and their partners within the EU?
I don't understand what rights you're losing and I didn't vote to leave. Right to a family life, you mention. How does the charter of fundamental rights differ in this regard from echr article 8?

Ok fair enough. I must admit i have no idea about what the "eu charter" says about LBGT rights but if you have a link post it up and i will have a read of it. Might have a google myself later when i have time.

I don't understand what rights you're losing and I didn't vote to leave. Right to a family life, you mention. How does the charter of fundamental rights differ in this regard from echr article 8?

Mate, five minutes ago you hadn't even heard of the EU Convention on Fundamental Human Rights...forgive me if I suggest you need some basic background knowledge before I start comparing the legal protections of two massive pieces of legislation, one of which you appear not to realise even existed.

Do you really think urban is a hotbed of homophobia? Do you really think anyone who voted leave did so to actively deprive you of any rights (and that's completely separate to the question of whether not being in the EU really does deprive LGBT people of their rights)?

We won these rights within my lifetime. I remember the faces of those who tried to deny us those rights...many of them are still in government.

We have every reason to be worried. And our true allies would share those worries.

I've come across plenty of homophobia on the politics forums and here is a prime example:
me, me, me, me, me!
....because not wanting to go back the decades of discrimination and inequality apparently is selfish. :facepalm:

Mate, five minutes ago you hadn't even heard of the EU Convention on Fundamental Human Rights...forgive me if I suggest you need some basic background knowledge before I start comparing the legal protections of two massive pieces of legislation, one of which you appear not to realise even existed.
Neither the echr nor the fundamental rights charter are "massive pieces of legislation"

And you again seem to conflate the echr and charter of fundamental rights by calling it the convention of fundamental rights

I've directed you to the article on family life in the echr. With your detailed knowledge of thr fundamental rights charter I'm sure you'll be able to compare and contrast the two in mere minutes.

E2A here's your fundamental charter EUR-Lex - 12012P/TXT - EN - EUR-Lex

Anyway I'll save you the time. Article seven of the charter is in essence the same as article eight of the convention. Perhaps you could tell me again precisely which family life rights you think you might lose

You must have half the boards on ignore if you think that was at you.
My post which talked about homophobia was #17428, yours #17429 was immediately after it and talked about gay rights.

I responded fairly by asking if you were talking to me.

Maybe you should start quoting or tagging the person you're talking to if their post doesn't immediately precede yours. It stops confusion on a fast-updating thread and the fault (arrogance) was yours. Barring that...get to fuck.

But yes...life is certainly more pleasant here these days.

So May's only 'tactic' left is deny any parliamentary vote/amendment until the days before March 29 2019, when MPs will literally be left with the 'choice' of (her) deal or no deal. That's it.

That leaves May's opponents only destructive options; her party could bring her down or Labour could go VoNC.

Back
Top Bottom