Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
So what? We all know them.

There's no reason to think that any new generation will be 'better' than the last, as it largely depends on factors outside the control of anybody, and whereas you might think you're a representative of 'something better', those you are talking to might not (they might even laugh or yawn.)

I'm totally ready to believe that the moon's made of moon, but not entirely convinced that the tory government really wants brexit. If you look at its a clever argument (which they might & might not make) would mean they would get to win at the Supreme Court but can always still blame everyone else for any failure to actually do the brexiting.

I'm totally ready to believe that the moon's made of moon, but not entirely convinced that the tory government really wants brexit. If you look at its a clever argument (which they might & might not make) would mean they would get to win at the Supreme Court but can always still blame everyone else for any failure to actually do the brexiting.
Yeh. well, the longer we go without its invocation the less likely it is to actually happen

From what I can see the remaining countries are losing patience. The Brits can't dither forever. The three Brexiteers appear to be pissing away what good will there is. May will probably pull the plug on Article 50 in the Spring. It'll be for a Hard Brexit as Britain has a weak hand to negotiate anything elaborate. Maybe there'll be some transitional arrangement where the UK pays through the nose to maintain some rights. The new trade deals will probably take a decade to sort out. It's what the Tories do when liberated from the slight constraints of the EU that may be the most damaging to the typical grumbling Leaver.

But POTUS Trump is probably going to be far more signifiant in his effects globally than little old Brexit.

From what I can see the remaining countries are losing patience. The Brits can't dither forever. The three Brexiteers appear to be pissing away what good will there is. May will probably pull the plug on Article 50 in the Spring. It'll be for a Hard Brexit as Britain has a weak hand to negotiate anything elaborate. Maybe there'll be some transitional arrangement where the UK pays through the nose to maintain some rights. The new trade deals will probably take a decade to sort out. It's what the Tories do when liberated from the slight constraints of the EU that may be the most damaging to the typical grumbling Leaver.

But POTUS Trump is probably going to be far more signifiant in his effects globally than little old Brexit.

Still confident transitional arrangement will be financially neutral, and the savvy move. Faith in politicians and the media that spin them though, completely out the window. Long term arrangement, I agree, will take a decade at least.

Brexit: Legal battle over UK's single market membership - BBC News

Interesting; leaving the EU may not automatically mean leaving the EEA. If that is the case that could really fuck shit up for all sides in this clusterfuck :cool:

This would be a good way of fudging it, but it looks like less of a sure thing that the Article 50 case. The EEA agreement doesn't read like it confers any rights or obligations on the UK directly, only by virtue of it being an EU member state.

Hello everyone, I am from the Netherlands and me and a friend are doing a research about the BREXIT. we would be very pleased if you could fill in our survey. only serious answers pls.
its a survey from max 5 min. thanks in advance!
surveylink: Survey about the BREXIT

This would be a good way of fudging it, but it looks like less of a sure thing that the Article 50 case. The EEA agreement doesn't read like it confers any rights or obligations on the UK directly, only by virtue of it being an EU member state.
Streamlines EFTA membership though.

Hello everyone, I am from the Netherlands and me and a friend are doing a research about the BREXIT. we would be very pleased if you could fill in our survey. only serious answers pls.
its a survey from max 5 min. thanks in advance!
surveylink: Survey about the BREXIT
Hallo ris. I've answered your survey but you don't really have a clue what is going on here. Suggest you do much more reseach. Feel free to ask some specific questions.

Think the roadblock is going to be that the Supreme Court insist the Great Repeal Act is passed ahead of Art 50. (The Repeal act in itself isn't a problem we'll need it to help MRA arrangements), the problem being that quite a lot of stuff within the Act would be classified as "devolved matters"....

Last edited:
Exposed: Labour's Brexit betrayal as deputy leader in Brussels deletes lines from key report in 'sneaky' attempt to water down EU terms

Oh dear. The amendments bit are true, BUT the dog in the night-time is :
"11. Notes that this new type of ‘associate status’ could also be one of the possible outcomes to respect the will of the majority of the citizens of the United Kingdom to leave the EU; stresses that this wish must be respected, given that the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, as one of the larger Member States, and as the largest non-euro-area member, affects the strength and the institutional balance of the Union – a new situation that adds to the need for revision of the Treaties;"

The Leviathan aims to continue on its path as outlined in October 2013.

Last edited:
thought it might be timely to resurrect this thread seeing as we've had a General election since then, A50 has been triggered and negotiations have started.
On balance - i think i still stick to the opinion that it is not going to happen - its fiendishly complex and more and more problems are being thrown up.

Delivering brexit would be tricky enough with a strong, effective government that was firmly in control of the agenda, a united country and popular support.
But instead it is being led a weak, bitterly divided government led by a lame duck leader with little authority. It is opposed by large sections of the business, manufacturing and banking sector and the senior civil service. The academic and cultural sectors are implacably opposed. The public is split down the middle. The majority of MPs are opposed and – whilst they may feel bound by the result – the narrowness of the “leave” victory make that commitment questionable. Then there is the constitutional dogs dinner it serves up in northern Ireland and – potentially – Scotland.

The negotiations are also undermined by the fact that any positions taken by the UK are undermined by the threat of a leadership challenge to May, cabinet shenanigans and very unstable parliamentary arithmetic

I just don't think it politically possible to get any sort of deal that isn't quite shit and a Hard Brexit crash out will be vigorously opposed by just about everyone bar a few dozen tory headbangers and the the Daily Mail.
Potential scenario - A long-grass-tastic Transitional arrangement followed by a humiliating climbdown and toxic political repercussions ("stab in the back" anyone?).

Cant help thinking that the last election was the perfect result for labour - all the fun of humiliating the tories followed by the luxury of standing on the side lines watching the vermin have to eat up the big pile of steaming Brexit from the political carpet.

Cant help thinking that the last election was the perfect result for labour - all the fun of humiliating the tories followed by the luxury of standing on the side lines watching the vermin have to eat up the big pile of steaming Brexit from the political carpet.

Just like the 92-97 parliament. Hysterically funny implosion of Tories as the sun shines ever stronger on the opposition.

Whilst I would agree that it's a dog's dinner, there is this rather nasty power grab to be taken into consideration, which if they manage to pull it off with the assistance of the DUP does not bode well for what currently passes as democracy in the UK.

I still think no brexit is probably the most likely eventual outcome, on balance. But I get a sense that the EU is increasingly warming to the idea of a CETA (Canada) type arrangement with the UK. Barnier seems to have been suggesting this recently. The main risk for them in this is that it would increase the cost of banking in the UK and Eurozone business would not be able to extricate itself. But there was an interview yesterday on France 24 with someone from Frankfurt, who was the CEO of some sort of city corporation. He may well have had reason to talk things up a bit, but he was saying he had a queue of international banks with their relocation plans all worked out and ready to go. If that's reflective at all of the reality, then you can see why it might be looking like an attractive scenario from their perspective.

I was speaking with a German lawyer from Frankfurt this week who was remarking how promising things are.

Back
Top Bottom