Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

aye i know first thing that came to mind

:D

only reason Brendan O'Carroll is on british telly is everyone's bored of him back home

;)

Last edited:
What happened in 1986? :hmm:

A failed referendum intended to bring in the right to divorce.

The change in the fortunes of the religious right wasn't down to some event in 1986, just to be clear. It's just that underlying changes in social attitudes and demographics finally caught up with the bastards in between 1986 (their last victory) and 1992 (their first defeat).

Anyone see this?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-no-campaign-ireland-gay-marriage-referendum
With just five days to go before Ireland’s historic referendum on the legalisation of gay marriage, a bitter row has broken out between supporters and opponents over the funding of their respective campaigns. Supporters of a yes vote have accused opponents of a lack of transparency over finances and of accepting funding from rightwing Christian groups in the US.

If you see this jpeg while scrolling

IMG_7050_resize.jpg

You have been visited by the CAPE-WEARING IRISH CONSERVATIVE.

Irish conservatism will come to you unless you comment "what a gobshite" further down the thread.

Bloody hell that's one of the ohanlon tribe . A clan well known to a few on here , including spymaster . I've no idea what's going on with the anti homosexual cape . Strikes me as just the job if a flounce is required . Which may well be the case if there's homosexual skulduggery afoot ..particularly in limerick .

He's wearing a fucking cape..:D

Having done market research work, including political polling, I am of the opinion that 80% of people will tell you the first thing that comes into their heads.
You cunt. [emoji1]

The anti gay marry side have gone out of their to make this about anything other than gay marriage.

"Itll lead to a a rise in surrogacy depriving babies of their birth mothers love". Nope nothing to do with surrogacy.

"Itll allow gay adoption and children need a mummy and a daddy". Gay people can already adopt provided they meet the criteria.

"Gay people have civil partnership and thats the same as marriage anyway". Nope.

Last year A famous irish drag queen was on a rte chatshow and suggested that three or four unnamed catholic social conservatives were homophobic. They threatened to sue RTE panicked and gave each of them 45k. All because a guest on a talk show suggested they he thought they were bigots. Mad Ted.

Weirdly I think the surprise conservative majority in the uk had invigorated the yes campaign. They're looking at the opinion polls in ireland and not taking anything for granted and theres a big campaign to make sure everyone gets out to vote. To avoid a surprise upset.

As to the large parties moving away from the catholic church. I think they know thats theres nothing to be gained to pandering publicly to the church. The older voters will pretty much still vote for the same party anyway. And younger voters would be less inclined to vote for a party that seems to be in the church's pocket.

And as others have pointed out I dont thing 90% of the population could give a damn about gay marriage. The water charges, rise in property repossessed and the economy is the big issue.

Sure the only thing stopping me husband from leaving me is the absence of legal divorce. Sometimes I wonder why I married him at all.
People forget how fucked women were before the divorce referendum came in. Legal separation was a long drawn out affair. And alimony for kids was a huge nearly unenforceable hassle. A lot of women were stuck in a horrible situation before it was passed.

Anyone see this?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-no-campaign-ireland-gay-marriage-referendum
With just five days to go before Ireland’s historic referendum on the legalisation of gay marriage, a bitter row has broken out between supporters and opponents over the funding of their respective campaigns. Supporters of a yes vote have accused opponents of a lack of transparency over finances and of accepting funding from rightwing Christian groups in the US.
the anti marriage campaign has more money than support. A massive poster billboard and ad campaign hasn't hid the fact that theyre well funded but a very narrow base in ireland (but when they are out and about they have spiffy capes)

I opened fuckface the other day to see a sponsored ad to one of the articles from The MFM matter campaign. Apparently teh gays are flooded with foreign money. Unlike MFM who are so improvised they barely have the money to pay facebook to pollute my timeline with this shit. These people dont really grasp irony.

I have been heartened by the attitudes of the young people I work with - and with the number of them choosing to wear YES badges even though they are all young, fairly macho, working-class lads from Dundalk and the (even more socially conservative) wider Oriel area.

10957399_365158837006892_4590662752222621871_n.jpg

These have just appeared in Dublin.

Slightly falls down if the reader doesn't believe in god - and is their 'god' argument based entirely on two verses in an old book? Completely wrong on the second point about nature of course.

I hope it passes later this week - it would be good to see the catholic church being told to go fuck themselves in Ireland. :cool:

Bloody hell that's one of the ohanlon tribe . A clan well known to a few on here , including spymaster . I've no idea what's going on with the anti homosexual cape . Strikes me as just the job if a flounce is required . Which may well be the case if there's homosexual skulduggery afoot ..particularly in limerick .

He's wearing a fucking cape..:D
Are you able to post anything but smirking crap about gay men?

I know mine and my partners relatives in Cork and Limerick if they've mentioned it at all on Facebook they've been positive and they're not political or anything so I'm kind of expecting them to vote in favour
Some of my cousins in Limerick (I have many cousins there) are fairly liberal so they will vote yes I'd have thought .

Just spoke to my mum and she says she'll be voting yes (without prompting from me, by the way). She also says that it's "up in the air" as to which side "will carry the day". Apparently it will all hinge on which age-group comes out to vote on the day.

My Dad who's a very conservative church going catholic is voting yes. He watched the debate and how solicitors came forward and said it was not adopt surrogacy or adoption thought the no side was talking rubbish and is voting yes.

Even in 1983, the groups pushing for the abortion referendum were looney-tunes fringe organization whom the church regarded as an embarassment and a nuisance. At least if I'm remembering the Magill piece about them correctly.

Even in 1983, the groups pushing for the abortion referendum were looney-tunes fringe organization whom the church regarded as an embarassment and a nuisance. At least if I'm remembering the Magill piece about them correctly.

Yes, although the context was different. They had a sea to swim in then, whereas now it's more of a pond.

Emily O'Reilly's book "Masterminds of the Right" dealt with the forces behind the Pro Life Amendment in detail. It came from networks of Catholic lay ultra lawyers, doctors, business people and academics, in part linked through the Knights of Colombanus and associated front groups. They generally regarded the Bishops, particularly the likes of Eamon Casey who was the most "leftist" of the senior clerics, as dangerous Vatican 2 pinkos who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing their jobs. They were much more influential than their rather downmarket successors are though and were acting as a ginger group within a Church which was itself much more powerful.

Yes, although the context was different. They had a sea to swim in then, whereas now it's more of a pond.

Emily O'Reilly's book "Masterminds of the Right" dealt with the forces behind the Pro Life Amendment in detail. It came from networks of Catholic lay ultra lawyers, doctors, business people and academics, in part linked through the Knights of Colombanus and associated front groups. They generally regarded the Bishops, particularly the likes of Eamon Casey who was the most "leftist" of the senior clerics, as dangerous Vatican 2 pinkos who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing their jobs. They were much more influential than their rather downmarket successors are though and were acting as a ginger group within a Church which was itself much more powerful.

What I still don't understand is why Garret let himself be talked into (or talking himself into it) giving them what they wanted. Whatever else Charlie might have been, he wasn't buck stupid enough to agree to shite like that.

("Oh, ye have no brown envelope for me? Feck off so")

What I still don't understand is why Garret let himself be talked into (or talking himself into it) giving them what they wanted. Whatever else Charlie might have been, he wasn't buck stupid enough to agree to shite like that.

("Oh, ye have no brown envelope for me? Feck off so")

Neither Fine Gael nor Fianna Fáil could allow themselves to be out-Catholicked by the other, particularly on the "killing little babbies" issue. It was also the main issue where the Bishops themselves were vulnerable to their own lay ultras. The elite lay ultras were clever - they used wider pious elements to force the Bishop's hand, and then used Fianna Fáil to force Fine Gael's. It should also be said that Fitzgerald was as unprincipled as any other right wing Irish politician despite the sainthood conferred on him by useless media liberals.

It should also be said that Fitzgerald was as unprincipled as any other right wing Irish politician despite the sainthood conferred on him by useless media liberals.

I'm trying now to think of a principled stand he took on everything. . . he did add to an economy drive at the dept. of Foreign Affairs by entertaining foreign visitors at his Gentleman's club, and therefore not at the dept's expense.

I think you are also forgetting how far the church has fallen in Ireland since the 80s. They were such a powerful and dominant force in the irish social landscape.

They brought down governments the constitution was sent to them for proof reading. Christ the laundries would still be active for another decade

I think you are also forgetting how far the church has fallen in Ireland since the 80s. They were such a powerful and dominant force in the irish social landscape.

They brought down governments the constitution was sent to them for proof reading. Christ the laundries would still be active for another decade

What governments did they bring down? Are you thinking of what happened to Noel Browne? Or something else?

Back
Top Bottom