Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Information on taking refugees into our homes

I think if you're prepared to cross continents risking life and limb escaping a place where you also risked life and limb, you might be hesitant to quibble over who was offering you safety and sanctuary, initially at least.
I'm not so sure. They're already likely to be traumatised by their recent experiences. If they were then placed with pretty much anyone I know, they'd then need to get used to folk who drink alcohol, use a bit of weed, eat haram, frequently curse organised religion, and hang out with homosexuals. If they are even slightly observant Muslims, that could cause problems.

Hmm. You think the people at Calais are heading to a liberal democracy unaware they might find aspects of it offensive?

Tbh mate, I doubt many of them have even considered it. Let's face it, they aren't all actively seeking to live in liberal democracies. They're fleeing murderous persecution and for many it'll be a case of 'any port in a storm'.

The thread is about people sharing their homes (currently indefinitely) with refugees, with a limited support network and little consideration to what happens in the longer term.

It would be foolish for prospective providers of shelter to ignore potentially significant political and cultural differences.

Last edited:
Tbh mate, I doubt many of them have even considered it. Let's face it, they aren't all actively seeking to live in liberal democracies. They're fleeing murderous persecution and for many it'll be a case of any port in a storm.

The thread is about people sharing their homes (currently indefinitely) with refugees, with a limited support network and little consideration to what happens in the longer term.

It would be foolish for prospective providers of shelter to ignore potentially significant political and cultural differences.

The govt have stated any refugees they take will be from camps on the Syrian border iirc so presumably they'll provide shelter for those. That move also looks calculated to ignore the plight of those in Calais. So what's the other alternatives?

there've been concerns expressed that jihadis would come among the migrants to europe. but now it seems that all isis have to do to get here is trip down the way to a camp in e.g. libya, keep shtum and wait for the government to bring them here. assuming they haven't one or two here already.

Tbh im sure isis will have some supporters among the refugees given the fact that in many areas they're the only force opposing assad in any significant way and have been the only force out of the rebels, apart from the kurds, thats been able to set up any reasonably coherent government. Doesnt mean those people will be ideologically committed or even like or agree with them, or that they'll want to attack the west, but seems naive to think otherwise.

I did a quick search on here but couldn't find a thread that was completely related to this subject...

I am thinking of helping in this way and wonder what I need to do (legally) in order to have refugees living with me...Google isn't coming up with much (that I can find) except heart-warming press articles about how so many people want to help in this way.

Any knowledge/advice is gratefully received.

You could see whether this group can advise: Refugee Hosting Information | Positive Action in Housing Ltd

So what's the other alternatives?
I honestly don't know but I'm not sure that the way forward is for people to unilaterally open their homes to heavily traumatised folk they know next to nothing about, and cultural differences should be acknowledged.

At best you may make some great new friends for life and help out some people when they really need it. At worst you get a nonce, rapist, or some Daesh cunt, kipping in the spare room.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know but I'm not sure that the way forward is for people to unilaterally open their homes to heavily traumatised folk they know next to nothing about, and cultural differences should be acknowledged.

At best you make some great new friends for life and help out some people when they really need it. At worst you get a nonce, rapist, or some Daesh cunt, kipping in the spare room.

I'm not saying I 100% agree. More with the long term support though. The reason I wouldn't do it is because I'd feel a cunt inviting someone in only having to boot them out if it didn't work out, potentially putting them in a worse position than where they started from. Well, besides not having any space anyway.

Whilst valid points, I think if you're prepared to cross continents risking life and limb escaping a place where you also risked life and limb, you might be hesitant to quibble over who was offering you safety and sanctuary, initially at least.

Syria is a very mixed society . And secular . Any Syrian refugee will have a lifetime of experience of dealing with different faiths and secular outlooks .

I'm slightly worried about some of these schemes.

I have taken in women refugees before (through a charity). I stopped for a while after a very traumatised woman was placed with me. I was in no place to cope with her. I had picked her up off the street as I couldnt get to the charity offices before it was closed and she became convinced that I was secretly trying to take her to Dungavel. Her experiences were way, way beyond anything that I could relate to or was prepared for.

Also, people's intentions are not always noble. For many, the motivation will be altruism and companionship - which is I guess what motivated me to do it - but I know from the stories of the people that I've taken in that many have ended up in living situations where they were basically exploited - either as childcarers, domestic labourers or for "sexual company".

It's a sad fact of life that , as we speak, those who already exploit the vulnerable will be looking at this situation with an eye for an opportunity .

At best you may make some great new friends for life and help out some people when they really need it. At worst you get a nonce, rapist, or some Daesh cunt, kipping in the spare room.

And the happy medium is you just get stuck with a non dangerous ,complete dickhead in your gaff . Who listens to jedward and doesn't flush .

Hmm. I have been looking at rooms in shared houses and people are quite picky where a new sharee is concerned, wonder if they will be able to be like that with incoming refugees.

And, interesting changes in terminology on BBC in the last days, calling the people coming to Europe "refugees" (or even refugees and migrants) where just days ago they were all "migrants".

Not just about finding things offensive is it? What if there was a war in the uk and we had to flee to say, saudi arabia? We would see loads of things we didnt agree with and many activities we'd be totally unable to participate in

The Saudis never allow refugees in, so that problem won't happen

It's a sad fact of life that , as we speak, those who already exploit the vulnerable will be looking at this situation with an eye for an opportunity .

I knew someone in the 80's who was a volunteer in a refugee agency in London and frequently exploited the women he came in contact with, I wish I had done something about .

Although I can understand the sentiment and I think it's very kind, I'm not sure a temporary room in someone else's house is what the refugees need - they need their own home that can't be easily taken away from them. Being someone's houseguest is not the same as having a home.

I've seen quite a few high-profile people (like Geldof) offering up their extra houses and from them it strikes me as sentimental slacktivism rather than really thinking through what the refugees need, possibly by actually asking them. Still, it's better than all the other idiots who are "praying" for the refugees, as if talking to their imaginary friend helps anyone but themselves.

Although I can understand the sentiment and I think it's very kind, I'm not sure a temporary room in someone else's house is what the refugees need - they need their own home that can't be easily taken away from them. Being someone's houseguest is not the same as having a home.

I've seen quite a few high-profile people (like Geldof) offering up their extra houses and from them it strikes me as sentimental slacktivism rather than really thinking through what the refugees need, possibly by actually asking them. Still, it's better than all the other idiots who are "praying" for the refugees, as if talking to their imaginary friend helps anyone but themselves.
Well obviously it would only be a short term thing in lots of cases. I expect staying with a family is preferable to staying in a camp or hostle.

I'm glad I asked the question though because there has been some really good bits of advice on here that's made me question the issue.

Back
Top Bottom