Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Information on taking refugees into our homes

Yeah i know but thats not the point.

My point is if we had to flee to a country that was nothing like this one (or for that matter even somewhere like france) we'd probably find it very difficult to cope
The Saudis never allow refugees in, so that problem won't happen

I'm still mulling over the "well, you might end up living with a rapist!" comments.
Surely that is a constant risk for women whether through marriage, house shares, holiday lets, student halls of residence etc. Is the suggestion that there's a higher instance of this type of offending when it comes to refugees from 'other cultures' or is this the only time we worry about those risks?

I knew someone in the 80's who was a volunteer in a refugee agency in London and frequently exploited the women he came in contact with, I wish I had done something about .

Why didn't you? Has their behaviour towards *multiple vulnerable women* continued uncommented on for thirty years? Jesus. You've got a fucking track record for saying and doing nothing about long term rapey/otherwise cunty acquaintances who've each abused/assaulted *multiple women* over *years* (i'm one of those women), 'mate' - cheers for that.
Your response two years ago about the shit that assaulted me? 'why didn't anyone do anything about him if they knew?'.

You hypocritical cunt.

Sort yourself the fuck out.

Apologies rest of thread for derail, i've just had enough of his crap.

Last edited:
Innit. But let's be real. We all know the subtext is why are you helping foreigners (black and brown people) over 'our own', white folk.

I don't know the poster's posting history or if he later shows himself (in this thread) to be a racist but I do know that i hate it when people put words in other people's mouths.

BTW, Whose assumption is it that the UK's homeless is mainly white?
Disproportionate BME homelessness and overcrowding in London boroughs | News | Inside Housing

As to this Daily Mail type question of whether UK homeless are somehow more deserving of a home than foreign homeless...

Do we somehow have homeless people who are somehow superior by dint of being british? And therefore more deserving?
Or have they had it harder and are therefore more deserving?

Or is it that do we just not consider ourselves part of the world, the planet and so its not our problem? Despite the fact the disportionate allocation of the planet's resources is one of the reasons behind migration. We're on the side that has it good at the expense of those that don't. Any wonder that people want to switch sides?

I don't believe in judging groups of people as a whole as that excludes numerous individuals who may or may not buck the cliches. But if we must go that route i'd say that percentage wise i'd give the foreigners a higher chance of not pissing a charitable chance up the wall.
In an ideal world everyone should be given chances but in a world with limited chances do we really means test, aptitude test or is it maybe just as fair to make a lottery of it so that a cross section all have the hope of a chance?

We'd all personally want the hope of the chance if it was us here at home or us there abroad.

Syria is a very mixed society . And secular . Any Syrian refugee will have a lifetime of experience of dealing with different faiths and secular outlooks .

From my experience (been married to a Syrian for 15 years, been to Syria 10+ times) it'll be a given that typically a Christian Syrian will be islamophobic, a Muslim Syrian will be anti-semitic and they'll both be homophobic. There are exceptions of course but this has been my personal experience. There's also a whole layer of tribal bollocks on top of the confessional bloc that I don't really understand.

The biggest cultural challenge, in my opinion, is that Syrians have a far stronger bond to their immediate and extended families than is common in the West. If you decided to be a host you are tacitly accepting that the invitation is automatically extended to whatever distant cousins turn up on the doorstep without notice.

Arguing against immigration? Normally on here it is, yes.
It's not an argument against immigration. Just pointing out that it would be difficult for anyone in a country where they can't speak the language, or know how to access health services, welfare, employment, education, accommodation or anything really.
Of course with help and advice, if available, the knowledge would come eventually.

Last edited:
Arguing against immigration? Normally on here it is, yes.
Few posters on here genuinely argue in favour of absolutely unfettered immigration, but that's not what this is about at all. This is about taking people into homes; to live with their families. People who are mentally and physically traumatised, likely to have very different cultural and political views, and whose backgrounds can't be verified.

It's not about immigration. It's about the wisdom of intimately sharing lives with people about whom extremely little is known.

I would go so far as to say that to do so, without proper checks and support, particularly for someone who has kids or other vulnerable people living with them, is actually rather irresponsible.

Last edited:
It was in response to this:

Yeah i know but thats not the point.

My point is if we had to flee to a country that was nothing like this one (or for that matter even somewhere like france) we'd probably find it very difficult to cope

A wealth of people have moved countries and cultures throughout history. I'm sure some struggled to cope, but plenty appear to have got on okay too. Spymaster?

Lady on the radio this morning said don't go to Calais to help - it's very noble but the jungles are swarmed with people going to help and that its causing more problems than helping the situation. Just donate and you've done your bit.

Lady on the radio this morning said don't go to Calais to help - it's very noble but the jungles are swarmed with people going to help and that its causing more problems than helping the situation. Just donate and you've done your bit.

Which radio? On R4 the message was more along the lines: since people have started going there the atmosphere has changed to a happier one, there's music, shops popping up. They would prefer money so they can buy medication and specific items, so yeah, they favour hard cash. But don't remember anyone saying for people not to go there to help? Maybe it was in a different segment or I missed the start. I was listening at around 7:45.

Who was this lady?

If you read the FB pages about aid to Calais, the charities on the ground say it is not a good idea to just turn up with a vanload of stuff and try to distribute it yourself. This can be seen as demeaning to the refugees and can lead to chaotic and potentially dangerous situations, with some of the more desperate mobbing the vans and grabbing what they can.
Of course some people do want to go in person and give personal solidarity but the advice is to do that with liason and assistance from volunteers on the ground.
The charities that have been working there for years are desperate for more volunteers to go over to help with sorting the donations for distribution, and practical assistance like clearing up the rubbish.

Last edited:
If you read the FB pages about aid to Calais, the charities on the ground say it is not a good idea to just turn up with a vanload of stuff and try to distribute it yourself. This can be seen as demeaning to the refugees and can lead to chaotic scenes with some of the more desperate mobbing the vans and grabbing what they can.
Of course some people do want to go in person and give personal solidarity but the advice is to do that with liason and assistance from volunteers on the ground.
The charities that have been working there for years are desperate for more volunteers to go over to help with sorting the donations for distribution, and practical assistance like clearing up the rubbish.
Good to know. Fingers

I'm not going to drop off in Calais if it's going to add to the chaos. I know Fingers amoung others have a massive collection of stuff that was donated at Saturday's Dulwich Hamlet game and am wondering what to do with it if it's not driven down there. Although Fingers knows people on the ground already there so we'll liaise with them before making a plan.

Last edited:
Maybe someone should set up a local (south London) drop off point. I have stuff to give but no car and Dalston is a bit of a stretch. My flat is too small really, but gotta be someone here with a spare room they are willing to sacrifice for a couple of weeks...

Back
Top Bottom