Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Immigration to the UK - do you have concerns?

I think people who angry about everything anyway would be very angry about it, but 95% of the population wouldn't give a shit.

See, I disagree, and it's this arrogant assumption, based on absolutely nothing, that 95% of the people in the country agree with you, that leads to where we are.

If 95% of the population agreed with you more broadly, Nigel Farage would be a political nobody.

Last edited:
Smokeandsteam ’s post 293 is very important. Just want to echo the snobbery point. The memes after the pogroms were mainly not anti racist at all. They were snobby and sneery and anti “underclass”.

I probably fell into it a bit too, because I thought the Lush bath bomb episode was funny.

But taking the piss out of people spelling “our” as “are”? Please don’t do that. I have a very good friend and comrade with good politics who makes that mistake. I’m personally dyslexic and rely heavily on spellcheck. It doesn’t make either of us racist. Lots of people fall through educational cracks. The education system is not one size fits all. I worked in it. I know. And the people it doesn’t fit know who they are very early on. Sneering about them doesn’t help.
I agree with this. Though I'm not sure using 'pogrom' is very accurate or helpful. (Not aimed at you, Danny, but it seems to now be how people are referring to recent events.)
The theory is that Starmer has one term, and a realigned right take power next, with Farage or someone like him, able to carry the disenfranchised Reform voters, as leader. It’s not far fetched. It’s likely.

And it’s Hitler’s rise to power repeated as farce.
I still don't think it's likely but maybe I'm an optimist.

The argument I find difficult to counter with the small boats situation is "they're already in a safe country before they head here and have possibly travelled through several other safe countries before leaving France". I know that could apply to other European countries which people are trying to get to but what is the counter argument?

A lot of people want to come to the UK because they speak English. Others because they already have family or friends here. It's not unreasonable for someone fleeing a war zone to want to end up somewhere they can speak the language or have a support network. And the UK accepts far less refugees than a lot of European countries.

A lot of people want to come to the UK because they speak English. Others because they already have family or friends here. It's not unreasonable for someone fleeing a war zone to want to end up somewhere they can speak the language or have a support network. And the UK accepts far less refugees than a lot of European countries.
Also migration is a constant churn, people move all the time. We're only getting people for whom the UK is an end point. Imagine if you lived in the middle east, you'd have far more to worry about if you didn't like incomers!

It's what everyone does, right, left, everyone. And it's OK to blame the people doing something terrible for the terrible thing they did. There may be reasons for doing something, but in the end someone still has to choose to do the thing.

No one's excusing the violent racists, hotel burners, car jackers. Fuck those people.

But I thought this conversation was supposed to be about a bit more than racists are bad m'k.

Considering the Dave's of the world that Spymaster described. The messaging Smokeandsteam says may have milage in reaching and countering the likes of Reform. Where preaching or simply writing them off, leaves them to fall further to the right and another round of lefty handwringing saying oh why aren't these people interested.

At some point, it will be necessary to understand that this group - and it is a big one - are part of the problem and not the solution.
Aye. I’ve always thought that. And that’s always been part of my reason for my anti “top down multiculturalism” stance.

But here’s the thing. I seem to be joining that group as a result of the pogroms.

My worry isn’t so much the actual people who tried to burn migrants alive. Though they are a worry. But they’re a small group. The counter demonstrators easily outnumbered them.

No, my worry. My shock and anger. Is those seeing the arson at hostels people were living in, saying “but they have a point”. “They aren’t being treated even handedly” and “Two Tier Kier” and “I have concerns too, even if I didn’t riot”. They saw the pogroms and are encouraged in their views.

Those are the people who are making me say “well, fuck you. You chose a side”.

For literally decades I’ve tried to be reasonable and listen and said don’t push people away, don’t back people into corners, be all chest-proddy, don’t just yell “racist”. And actually getting some stick for it, not least on here. Being called a reactionary enabler etc.

But now we’ve got pogroms on the streets. Literal murderous mobs. And those are getting “Starmer was wrong to call them racist” type responses.

I’m feeling like I’m outside of it all watching the coming horror like a dream I can’t stop.

The argument I find difficult to counter with the small boats situation is "they're already in a safe country before they head here and have possibly travelled through several other safe countries before leaving France". I know that could apply to other European countries which people are trying to get to but what is the counter argument?

The "first safe country" argument is a red herring. The UK has been a signatory to the UN convention on refugees since 1951. This agreement states unequivocally that refugees have the right to claim asylum anywhere they like. Reform/Daily Mail/fash types may not like this, but it is a cast-iron, long-standing, widely recognised rule.

The actual facts of the situation are that, despite the despicable "invasion" rhetoric in some quarters, most refugees by far in the world do end up in neighbouring countries (or even displaced within their country of origin). This explains why Kenya, which neighbours the Somalian conflict, and Bangladesh, which borders the conflagration in Myanmar, are the two biggest receptacles of refugees in the world.

For us, any effective strategy has to involve isolating the smaller group, and beating them and being seen to beat them on the streets, in the battle of ideas and also contesting the territory where the bigger group are. But it also involves engaging seriously and respectfully with the much bigger group. Listening to their concerns and engaging with them is going to be a better strategy than calling them racists and 'drawing lines'.

I agree with a lot of what you say especially about the sneering. But how do you engage with concerns that Covid was a hoax, or that 15 minute cities are a plot to enslave people. IME these types of conversations have changed a lot over the last few years. Conspiratorial beliefs are becoming the dominant ideology amongst those who a few years ago might have read The Sun and moaned about immigration but weren't particularly politically engaged. Now there is a whole online ecosystem to swim in that increasingly subverts any 'left' ideas which might improve working class communties into some kind of devious plot intended to secretly enslave them.

Maybe it's just round here but this stuff seems to be everywhere at the moment. And whilst how deep into it people gets varies ideas like climate change being a hoax sit alongside claims of hundreds of thousands of fighting age men flooding the country as some kind of Islamist plot. I would guess the majority of those voting Reform have bought into this kind of shit to some degree. And trying to talk to a lot of people about it is like trying to talk to a creationist about evolution. It just bounces off. They are ideologically committed to a conspiratorial worldview, have no trust in mainstream media or experts (understandably in some cases) and anything that might counter these beliefs is just further evidence of the plot.

A few things. The vast majority of people displaced by war, politics, famine etc remain in their own country. Next most go to neighbouring countries so those countries can find themselves with 1m, 2m, 3m people arriving in a short amount of time. Eg turkey had something like 3m refugees at one point. When/if things calm down people may drift back to their home country. The number of refugees in the UK in comparison is infinitesimal.

Screenshot_20240819_130301_Chrome.jpg

As of May 2024 there were 120m displaced people in the world. Last time I checked it was 96m. As things stand the UK doesn't take in anything like its fair share of refugees, globally, or in the context of European countries, and Europe doesn't take in its fair share anyway.

Refugees are under no obligation to stop in the first safe country.

What I don't get is why france bother policing the UKs border for us instead of just waving them through.

The trouble with this explanation is it's reasonable, fair and based on facts. There will be some people who will take this explanation on board, but for a lot of those raising this issue it's not about facts or reason; their concerns are based on feelings. How do you counter someone's feelings that their country is being overrun? I don't think you can. All you can do is gently point out that their feelings are based on things that are untrue. Fortunately, the people who then cling onto those feelings regardless are in a minority.

The problem with the media and social media in particular is that those feelings are being stoked and amplified for political agendas. I don't feel any need to be a guardian of any particular culture, or even define what it is. I think over time these attitudes will diminish as newer generations replace older ones.

You’re right. I have no idea how many people are in a rugby league team, or even why there’s another type of rugby with different rules. Nor do I care. I should definitely have the vote taken from me. And probably NHS access. Do I even need a passport? After all, I won’t be travelling to international matches.
Can you participate in the electoral process if you know nothing about it?

Can you participate in the electoral process if you know nothing about it?
What do you need to know in order to vote? Because most people know the mechanics: you tick a choice and put the paper in a box. What else do they need to know? How commons select committees work? How early day motions work? What “pairing” is? Most people don’t know that. And frankly don’t need to. Should they have the vote taken off them?

Aye. I’ve always thought that. And that’s always been part of my reason for my anti “top down multiculturalism” stance.

But here’s the thing. I seem to be joining that group as a result of the pogroms.

My worry isn’t so much the actual people who tried to burn migrants alive. Though they are a worry. But they’re a small group. The counter demonstrators easily outnumbered them.

No, my worry. My shock and anger. Is those seeing the arson at hostels people were living in, saying “but they have a point”. “They aren’t being treated even handedly” and “Two Tier Kier” and “I have concerns too, even if I didn’t riot”. They saw the pogroms and are encouraged in their views.

For literally decades I’ve tried to be reasonable and listen and said don’t push people away, don’t back people into corners, be all chest-proddy, don’t just yell “racist”. And actually getting some stick for it, not least on here. Being called a reactionary enabler etc.

But now we’ve got pogroms on the streets. Literal murderous mobs. And those are getting “Starmer was wrong to call them racist” type responses.

I’m feeling like I’m outside of it all watching the coming horror like a dream I can’t stop.
Yeah, anyone watching that happen whose first thought wasn't 'those poor people, how awful' about the people who were the targets of the racists, well, they've failed a basic test of humanity. And that's putting it charitably.

Really interesting discussion about the cultural encounter aspect of immigration. That’s certainly been noticed by my lads who have been raised, educated and now work alongside Muslims in Leeds and Bradford.

I’m interested in exploring the open borders question and if anyone thinks that’s a good idea.

And if not, how and why we limit immigration.

And if for example we put restrictions on where new immigrants can live or what work they can do to or how much they should earn (this one seems particularly stupid to me).

I’m intuitively not convinced the “we’re full” argument is a load of bollocks. But I work in the nhs and drive on the motorways quite often. I do understand that better roads and amenities could be built so it doesn’t ’feel full’- but do we want that? An always climbing population number, expanding cities, just so “the economy” grows?

My fella- Kenyan born, British educated, US resident- is an open borders proponent. I’m uncomfortable, even fearful of, the social change that would bring. Maybe the end point would be a ‘everywhere’s like London’ melting pot vibe and we would just build more amenities.

Open borders will become a necessity eventually, an irrelevance, even. Such arguments as ‘we’re full’ will seem quaint

Think it's important to emphasise that this isn't just the traditional working class. And by that I don't mean it's also the working class made good, who've got a bit of money in the bank, but actual traditional middle class people from public school media toffs to lower middle class office manager types. That may reflect material circumstances to some degree such as social mobility going into reverse and anxieties about their kid's futures but I suspect in a lot of cases they are just racists who feel emboldened by what is taking place to speak more openly than they once felt able to.

Open borders will become a necessity eventually, an irrelevance, even. Such arguments as ‘we’re full’ will seem quaint

I think being opposed to open borders as a concept is a bit like being opposed to world peace. It would truly be an amazing world if people migrated and travelled not out of economic hardship, environmental disaster, war or oppression but curiosity, love and adventure. But that's not the world we live in and if circumstances do force border collapses I don't think it will be very pretty.

so you're an optimist? cos that's not the way it's looking right now. we are already "OK" with people dying in the sea on the way to our country, I don't see why "we" [the powers] wouldn't be OK with stopping them at their source and dying there.

That's just not true. So much would have to happen to get the world to a utopian position where nobody felt threatened or challenged by other people that it's not worth entertaining the possibility. I think it's more likely that humanity will wipe itself out before open borders happens.

Really interesting discussion about the cultural encounter aspect of immigration. That’s certainly been noticed by my lads who have been raised, educated and now work alongside Muslims in Leeds and Bradford.

I’m interested in exploring the open borders question and if anyone thinks that’s a good idea.

And if not, how and why we limit immigration.

And if for example we put restrictions on where new immigrants can live or what work they can do to or how much they should earn (this one seems particularly stupid to me).

I’m intuitively not convinced the “we’re full” argument is a load of bollocks. But I work in the nhs and drive on the motorways quite often. I do understand that better roads and amenities could be built so it doesn’t ’feel full’- but do we want that? An always climbing population number, expanding cities, just so “the economy” grows?

My fella- Kenyan born, British educated, US resident- is an open borders proponent. I’m uncomfortable, even fearful of, the social change that would bring. Maybe the end point would be a ‘everywhere’s like London’ melting pot vibe and we would just build more amenities.
Lots of interesting questions there. But I think the place to start is what assumptions are being made.

First question I’d ask is “who is ‘we’?” Because that’s important. When talking about global population growth and movement, is it actually sensible and coherent to think we can treat the UK as an independent, separate entity that can operate somehow outside of global population dynamics.

I think not. Not because I believe in promoting something called “Open Borders”, but because I think it just has to be accepted that these islands are not somehow removed from the effects of climate change, of history, of global economics, of geopolitics. We aren’t. It’s impossible.

So for me that’s the starting point. As impossible as it may seem to do otherwise, there is no solution that is anything other than a sticking plaster that can be made by the UK state on its own. No amount of bureaucracy on our borders will change the movement of people caused by climate change, war, hunger, need. So “we” had better come to terms with that.

And as has been pointed out above, the vast majority of migrants stay put in the first country they come to, even when conditions are terrible. If they’re not as terrible, that’s an improvement. And the UK is actually not very high on measures such as ‘international migrant stock as a %age of population’. Last time that was measured by the World Bank, the United Arab Emirates was at 88.4%. The UK, “next door” alphabetically, was only 13.2%. (World Bank Open Data ).

So. Yeah, we can be better at infrastructure. We’ll need to be. But that’s nothing to working together as a globe. Sorry if that seems too high a bar to set. And it probably is until we in the “West” (or “Global North” or whatever we’re supposed to say) are up to our ankles in flood water, so to speak, ourselves.

And that may sound pessimistic. But I’m afraid I am.

so you're an optimist? cos that's not the way it's looking right now. we are already "OK" with people dying in the sea on the way to our country, I don't see why "we" [the powers] wouldn't be OK with stopping them at their source and dying there.
I am not an optimist, no. It seems almost inevitable that the war, genocide, famine and disease to come are going to make the present day look like a picnic.

That's just not true. So much would have to happen to get the world to a utopian position where nobody felt threatened or challenged by other people that it's not worth entertaining the possibility. I think it's more likely that humanity will wipe itself out before open borders happens.

I don't think ou is getting at the utopian position spy. Places are becoming uninhabitable, people will move.

I think being opposed to open borders as a concept is a bit like being opposed to world peace. It would truly be an amazing world if people migrated and travelled not out of economic hardship, environmental disaster, war or oppression but curiosity, love and adventure. But that's not the world we live in and if circumstances do force border collapses I don't think it will be very pretty.

Of course most people would actually prefer to stay local to where they grew up. There would always be some migration by those who want adventure etc but in a world where everyone had their needs met and were at peace there would be less of the migration these people seem to fear.

Another thing that is bugging me in the discourse is calling the people in boats migrants rather than refugees or even asylum seekers. It's very deliberate. 1 it removes emotion, empathy and sympathy and 2. Conflates all types of immigration and suggests they are probably 'just' economic (on the rare occasion they are not  terrorists) as if economics doesn't come into refugee choices. Also means when the media reports net immigration figures people think those figures are for asylum seekers only.

Think it's important to emphasise that this isn't just the traditional working class. And by that I don't mean it's also the working class made good, who've got a bit of money in the bank, but actual traditional middle class people from public school media toffs to lower middle class office manager types. That may reflect material circumstances to some degree such as social mobility going into reverse and anxieties about their kid's futures but I suspect in a lot of cases they are just racists who feel emboldened by what is taking place to speak more openly than they once felt able to.
Oh god, please don’t think I’m attributing the rise in racism to the working class. Absolutely not. A lot of it is Mail reading, Telegraph reading, traditional middle class. An awful lot of it.

I don't think ou is getting at the utopian position spy. Places are becoming uninhabitable, people will move.

That's not open borders though is it? It's the forced migration of people and it will be resisted tooth and nail by many. It's more likely to start wars than open borders

Back
Top Bottom