Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If god exists, would you worship him?

This is like arguing whether the dragons in Lord of the Rings are the same as the dragons in Game of Thrones. It makes no sense.

No they don't. Stuff in Old Testament that isn't in Koran, and vice versa. And the 'same' ones are different in a way which reflects differing concepts of god.

Yes. I didn't say the Koran was identical to the Old Testament. But yes, they do have the same prophets and share many stories.

'The same God', just different in nature and revelation?

What makes it 'the same god'?

Jews worship God. Christians worship a God that their holy book makes it explicitly clear is the same God as that of the Jews. Muslims worship a God that their holy book makes it explicitly clear is the same god as that of the Jews and Christians.

Jews worship God. Christians worship a God that their holy book makes it explicitly clear is the same God as that of the Jews. Muslims worship a God that their holy book makes it explicitly clear is the same god as that of the Jews and Christians.

What makes this god 'the same' apart from claims

And what do you think?

I'll leave it up to each particular religious sect to decide on what they are. Sunnis reject Sufis as not being truly muslim, but does this mean we should just accept that as a fact when Sufis call themselves muslim? There will be Calvinists that reject Catholicism as true christianity, and Coptics that reject the Amish, and Anglicans that reject Jehovah's Witnesses. They all identify as Christian though, so who am I to take sides? They are all equally right and wrong.

I'll leave it up to each particular religious sect to decide on what they are. Sunnis reject Sufis as not being truly muslim, but does this mean we should just accept that as a fact when Sufis call themselves muslim? There will be Calvinists that reject Catholicism as true christianity, and Coptics that reject the Amish, and Anglicans that reject Jehovah's Witnesses. They all identify as Christian though, so who am I to take sides? They are all equally right and wrong.

"Beware of those who attribute petty instructions to God", as Edhi said.

As a non-believer, my thoughts on the fiction known as ''god'' are neither here nor there, frankly. What believers think about the target of their faith is a lot more relevant.

Back
Top Bottom