Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I was thinking of renouncing my uk citizenship.

ice-is-forming

let me rephrase that... Fuck off
I just really love Australia. The land. In the last 54 years I've spent 22 in Aus. I haven't lived in England for almost 18 years. . I think it may be time we parted ways. It does seem so final though.. I wouldn't be able to change my mind and get it back again. I'm just wondering if i'd feel different and not in a good way, if i'd regret it...:hmm:

I'm hoping that it'd feel good, draw a line under stuff for me. Put some perspective in place when i have those 'homesick' moments. Like it would just be memories, not homesickness and a call to return (which i've done 3 times so should know better:facepalm:)

Thinking....

No point really, you never know when it might be useful

Unless you can get yourself an invitation to one of the regular garden parties at Buckingham Palace, then you can brandish your passport at the Queen and say "you can take your poxy citizenship, and shove it up your fucking arse". You could probably recoup the return flight costs by going to the Daily Mail afterwards and explaining how you're a drug-addled sex fiend but don't regret anything.

Like bi0boy says you never know when it might be useful. If I had dual nationality (I'm assuming you do?) I'd only renounce one of them if there was some disadvantage to having both. Maybe there is though, I dunno. I know a lot of US Citizens renounce theirs because of tax reasons.

If I could obtain a dual citizenship, Australia would probably be quite high up on my list but I still wouldn't relinquish the British one.

I have dual citizenship and there's no disadvantage to that. It'd be more of a gesture. Like a divorce after a long separation? I'm wondering if it'd make me feel more... more stable. I'm pretty stable right now but i sort of want to make a commitment. Maybe i dont want to divorce england, but to marry aus? I suppose, using this analogy i'm a bigamist :D I dunno, just a random idea i had so i thought i'd explore it :)

I have dual citizenship and there's no disadvantage to that. It'd be more of a gesture. Like a divorce after a long separation? I'm wondering if it'd make me feel more... more stable. I'm pretty stable right now but i sort of want to make a commitment. Maybe i dont want to divorce england, but to marry aus? I suppose, using this analogy i'm a bigamist :D I dunno, just a random idea i had so i thought i'd explore it :)

Get a tattoo I love Aus More across your forehead. Everyone will know then. :D

Aus will probably ditch the monarchy anyway when Brenda goes. You could be aligned to a whole new constitutional system or flag in the next 5-10 years. Not that this should stop you - just saying.

Hmm yeah. You're probably right ;) I think right now isn't the time to go making rash decisions.... I think I've just gone a bit sentimental. Its just the most spectacular time of year and after the rains everything is so beautiful. And i had this really spiritual experience the other day driving through some space here and it feels like i've fallen in love with the land itself (all over again)

Hmm yeah. You're probably right ;) I think right now isn't the time to go making rash decisions.... I think I've just gone a bit sentimental. Its just the most spectacular time of year and after the rains everything is so beautiful. And i had this really spiritual experience the other day driving through some space here and it feels like i've fallen in love with the land itself (all over again)

You see, this is why my suggestion was best. :D

Another vote for keep. I have dual UK/Aus since birth, does no harm to keep this status (although I don't ever think I'll become resident in Aus).

My mum, interestingly, has never applied for UK citizenship. She came in 1972 and has always had a "right of abode" stamp in her Aussie passport. Doesn't want to have to choose and definitely doesn't want to renounce being an Australian :)

I totally get that, have felt it many a time in Australia. It's one of the layers to my identity. There's something about the land that makes me feel almost euphoric :D

I suppose i just want to recognise and somehow celebrate the connection that I feel now :) I think for a long time i've felt like a stranger here, and even felt that i don't deserve to hear and feel the land speaking to me.. as i wasn't born here. But it's become more than that now. And I can hear the land. I loved england, i feel an emotional pain when i see certain photos or pics. Somethings really trigger me into little 'flashbacks' of all the senses when i see.. for example snow under a street light? or a country lane. Or the marshes where i last lived. But its not the same as this deep.. i dunno its hard to explain... this ancient.. vast space.. I dunno.

Last edited:
my advice is imagine nations don't exist, put all patriotism out of your mind, and collect as many passports in the back of a draw as you can

Yes :) this his how I feel.. a citizen of earth. My thinking wasn't really about patriotism. More like a realisation of how much i love this land. Not the system, certainly not all the people. But real australia. I love the world too but this is something else. Sounds crazy but lol.

hard to explain. I'll just say that I had a moment and I now feel truly connected. I was connected before but somethings changed, somethings deeper. Something to do with nature, the seasons, the land, the sea and the stars...And it's wonderful :) :cool:

The way you talk of your feelings of Oz makes me want to go home RIGHT NOW!!! :)

ETA: It is a big country. I'm from the outback and yes, you do sometimes get the feeling you're the only person on earth.

When I have been coastal at night the way the cross hangs pregnant in the dark night just waiting to be plucked, and the pointers pointing with the milky way just to the side, warm breeze, sounds of the waves, heavy smell of perfume in the air form the flowers, it is heaven.

But at the mo I still find travelling exciting, and London still holds the attraction. But home does tug at me, as i am sure it tugs to all. And I will go home to be kept awake by the cicadas on a hot avo, to go out early evening and dig a hole somewhere, down the RSL for dinner, but not justyet.

Last edited:
The way you talk of your feelings of Oz makes me want to go home RIGHT NOW!!! :)

ETA: It is a big country. I'm from the outback and yes, you do sometimes get the feeling you're the only person on earth.

When I have been coastal at night the way the cross hangs pregnant in the dark night just waiting to be plucked, and the pointers pointing with the milky way just to the side, warm breeze, sounds of the waves, heavy smell of perfume in the air form the flowers, it is heaven.

But at the mo I still find travelling exciting, and London still holds the attraction. But home does tug at me, as i am sure it tugs to all. And I will go home to be kept awake by the cicadas on a hot avo, to go out early evening and dig a hole somewhere, down the RSL for dinner, but not justyet.

:) It'll be here waiting.

australia-queensland-cunnamulla-5065.jpg

Cunnamulla

Just up the road from me, only about 160 miles up the Balonne hwy. Been there a few times, good mate of mine used to live there from school in Toowoomba.

I'll be having that bundy on ice with you some time on your porch ice-is-forming :)

Back
Top Bottom