Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Holiday in the UK. Whitby, York, Scarborough.

I think that, as no-one is holidaying abroad this year, the only accommodation still available will be campsites and high-end hotels.

I think that, as no-one is holidaying abroad this year, the only accommodation still available will be campsites and high-end hotels.
Campsites are supposedly pretty booked up.
I have just been commissioned to edit do a four part series on motorhome camping due to the sudden popularity.
They tell me all motor home hire and campsites are booked up.

If I ever get back to the UK one thing I'd like to do is drop the roof and drive across the moors to some of the places named in this thread. It would be great to do it again.

Yeah, but I would book into one, do a few days sightseeing, check out, move to then next hotel, book in then look around, dinner, sleep, get up and look around all day then back to the hotel.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your approach at all if you're happy to shift all your gear around. It probably makes sense to do York first as you'll be travelling there on the train, then move on to Scarborough by train, then bus up the coast to Whitby. Journey back is a bit trickier though - it takes a ridiculously long time (like three hours) to get the train from Whitby back to where you started from, probably easiest to retrace your steps.

I love all three of those places! One of my colleagues spent the weekend in York last weekend, and I was actually jealous. I have friends who live there, and friends who live nearby, so it is somewhere I have visited a lot. There is SO much to do in York itself, as others have said, including fantastic museums like the Castle Museum and the Railway Museum, neither of which are like the traditional, stereotypical museum.

Scarborough is lovely and quite cliffy - there is a vertical railway thing (can't remember what those things are called) - and most of the hotels are up on the top of the cliffs, looking down over the beach and across the sea. As well as visiting it as a child (I was born and brought up in the North East), I used to visit for trade union conferences, and have very happy memories of it. But, if you are not looking for a traditional, old fashioned English seaside town, you might want to skip it.

Same for Whitby, really, although it has more going for it than Scarborough, including an active fishing industry and lots of pubs. There used to be a Whitby Folk Festival - don't know if that is happening this year - which wakes it up, as it were.

If you want a beach, there are lots around there, including Redcar, where I actually lived as a child.

As someone else suggested, though, you might want to think about Durham instead. I have been there quite a few times in the last few years, because I have friends who live there, too, and there is lots to see and do and it is rather lovely. Might be a bit more interesting for your daughter than Scarborough.

ETA The Yorkshire Wildlife Park is worth a visit, if you like that kind of thing. It is near Doncaster. No idea how to get there by public transport - I got the train and then a friend drove me.

Campsites are supposedly pretty booked up.
I have just been commissioned to edit do a four part series on motorhome camping due to the sudden popularity.
They tell me all motor home hire and campsites are booked up.
They’re not, but you will have to look around a fair bit. How many of in your group? It’s ok travelling around if it’s just two of you, more than that and it becomes a pita, IMO

I think I'd look to move around - to get the best of York you need to be in York, do a couple of days in York then shift to somewhere else to get the best of that place rather than be dependent on train timetables. If you're in Whitby in you want to be able to the Dracula walks, they are best done in the evening,as is fish and chips in the harbour.

Public transport is pretty shit in rural areas and between locations - you would end up wasting a lot of your holiday if you use one place as a base and visit lots of places from there.

Airbnb is probably your friend in this trip.

I can't imagine many places getting crowded at the moment. London is pretty empty.
In addition to places mentioned, what about Durham. Good on Cathedral, museums, river, places to stay, eat, drink, lots to see and do and transport probably good

They’re not, but you will have to look around a fair bit. How many of in your group? It’s ok travelling around if it’s just two of you, more than that and it becomes a pita, IMO
Three, but we can't drive anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I think the post might have been about accommodation? Will you all be sharing a room in a hotel? I know that lots of them do family rooms, and your daughter might be happy with that?
Maybe. It's been a while. She's grown up a lot since the last hotel, and I think even then we had a whole apartment style affair, so she did have her own room.

I just meant it’s a pain in the arse getting everyone organised and moving on time. Something will be forgotten and left behind somewhere. If you can cope with that…

Maybe. It's been a while. She's grown up a lot since the last hotel, and I think even then we had a whole apartment style affair, so she did have her own room.
I know that I would have hated to share a hotel room with my parents at that age. I also know that there are old fashioned hotels in that there Scarborough that have cheap single rooms, because I have stayed in lots of them whilst at those conferences.... I don't know if that is true for York, though.

Scarborough has great memories for me, I went on holiday many years running as a kid, twice as an adult, and have been a couple of times fairly recently for day trips. It's got the gaudy seaside nonsense you'd expect from a seaside town but also lots of quieter parks and gardens, including Peasholme Park which is very lovely. There's the castle too which isn't that exciting cos there's fuck-all left of it but it's a good looking ruin. There's a funicular railway and a nice if tiring walk up Oliver's Mount.

Dunno much about the others other than Whitby has an abbey and some Dracula stuff
Was going to say, Whitby is supposed to be good, but if there's a sudden storm and you hear about a crewless ship from Varna running aground, move down the coast to Scarborough immediately...

Go to Seaton Carew if you like an industrial vibe. Just over the River Tees from Redcar.

seaton-carew-beach.jpg

We stayed at the Grand in Scarborough. It was awful and great at the same time. Disorganised, chaotic, really generous breakfasts, abominably noisy seagulls, friendly staff, wonderful empty ballroom. An experience.
They were refurbing when I walked past last week. I used to stay at Britannia hotels for work. They are weird.

Another vote for Whitby and some coastal walks north of there. You can see some lovely beaches and villages- Robin Hood’s Bay, Saltburn and Runswick are all beautiful places to be in.
I always come away from those beaches hankering for a dog as they always seem to be having the times of their lives playing on the beach

Regarding your point of moving from hotel to hotel. Most hotels will not store luggage (due to covid)

Or certainly none of the 7 I’ve stayed in over the past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom