Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Holiday in the UK. Whitby, York, Scarborough.

York is lovely and I’m sure you’ll find lots of places to run.

don’t forget the open topped bus. You can get off it, go for a run, and then get back on it again.

and it’s well ventilated on the top deck seeing as how it doesn’t have a roof

It's a cycle track that runs along an old railway track which has the planets on. It runs through fields and over the river.
A run from the railway museum along the river to Rawcliffe park is nice too.

It's a cycle track that runs along an old railway track which has the planets on. It runs through fields and over the river.
A run from the railway museum along the river to Rawcliffe park is nice too.
Ah I had a look at that solar system thing. Would love to do it if I had a bike. 10 miles there and back is a bit much for a morning run though. Maybe I can do some of the cycle track, we will see.

. . . that's a five hour walk from York!
No it wasn't a running recommendation - just somewhere to go for a day out with the family! Nice easy train journey. I visited Knaresborough for the first time a couple of years ago and the Nidd Gorge makes a great day out. The vista from the river up to the main part of Knaresborough is a stunning view, and really doesn't feel like Yorkshire to me (but I'm used to west Yorkshire)

Ah I had a look at that solar system thing. Would love to do it if I had a bike. 10 miles there and back is a bit much for a morning run though. Maybe I can do some of the cycle track, we will see.
Ahh yeah, I didn't mean all of it. It's quite a trek but nice to do part of.

Ahh yeah, I didn't mean all of it. It's quite a trek but nice to do part of.
I reckon it would be a fab bike ride. I'm there with my brother who cycles (a lot), I might suggest we hire a couple of bikes for the day and do it. It's only about as far to london and back, from my house and hopefully flatter and more picturesque.

I did a little run around the city walls and some of the town and river this morning. Who was it said you couldn't run around the city walls? Completely flat and nobody there.

Off to the railway museum now. We booked tickets because today was supposed to be utterly terrible weather, hmmm.

Anything in particular to look out for?

I did a little run around the city walls and some of the town and river this morning. Who was it said you couldn't run around the city walls? Completely flat and nobody there.

Off to the railway museum now. We booked tickets because today was supposed to be utterly terrible weather, hmmm.

Anything in particular to look out for?
Look for trains. I believe the Mallard is there, but just enjoy. Pics please

Look for trains. I believe the Mallard is there, but just enjoy. Pics please
I'll figure how to get them off my later. Bit of a bummer you couldn't get on the trains because of the covid, but to be honest the ones you could have gotten on are not that much different from a modern london train.

Bit disappointing the shinkansen was an old one, but if I had thought about it it would have been obvious that it wasn't.

Super disappointing in the shop, absolutely pathetic. I would have been happy to snap up a few old posters like the ones they had in the exhibition. Could have done intercity t-shirts, all sorts of design classics. . . . but no, just tacky tat, badly designed, looking cheap.

Probably off to whitby tomorrow.
Did someone mention about a nicer bit of beach away from the tourists?

Runswick bay?

Whitby is gorgeous. Youngish children with you? A run up the steps from town to Abbey a couple of times should help tire them out ;)

Sandsend is nice, just a walk up the beach from Whitby. In between the two the beach will probably be emptier since most people just plonk themselves down a few steps from the car park.

Boringly just did another gentle wall run this morning.
Then went to Runswick and later Robin Hood Cove for fish and chips.
I was so hungry by then I forgot I didn't like fish or chips. Felt sick afterwards.
Should have had the salmon and cream cheese roll. . . just didn't feel very holiday.

I was so hungry by then I forgot I didn't like fish or chips. Felt sick afterwards.
Should have had the salmon and cream cheese roll. . . just didn't feel very holiday.
Did you have any accompaniments; pickle or pickled egg. Did you have a pineapple or banana fritter to finish?

Salmon are actually fish as well.

Did you have any accompaniments; pickle or pickled egg. Did you have a pineapple or banana fritter to finish?
Mushy peas.
I basically hate everything that you can get in a fish and chip shop. It's just my brother and wife have been saying we must eat it as a seaside treat.
I kind of forget and end up having some every five or ten years.
Same with Burger King, but I think I am over that now and haven't had one for at least 15.

Back
Top Bottom