Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Holiday in the UK. Whitby, York, Scarborough.

Why would I need to store luggage?
If your train is significantly after normal checkout time, in pre Covid times you could leave your stuff in the hotel after you've checked out while you spent a few hours doing whatever, but now you will have to lug your stuff with you.

If your train is significantly after normal checkout time, in pre Covid times you could leave your stuff in the hotel after you've checked out while you spent a few hours doing whatever, but now you will have to lug your stuff with you.
Are the trains that infrequent around there?

I have a soft spot for those three ATOMIC SUPLEX , all are easy(ish) to get to by train.
All have plenty to do, a bit too much in some cases.
Whitby can get crowded and pricey, but there are self-catering places as well.
Scarborough has a "kiss-me-quick" reputation and I think has generally gone a bit mass/down-market.
York is very diverse and well connected ...

Berwick, North Berwick, Seahouses, Whitley Bay / Cullercoats ... all alternatives but, unfortunately, Seahouses is not on the rail network, so maybe scrub that one.
Seahouses has a good summer bus service....the bus all along the Northumberland coast is quite reliable and affordable (in summer )

X18 x15 buses from newcastle to berwick Arriva Bus

You can get an affordable day or 3 dat or week ticket from the bus driver to go up and down the coast

That's my old school! :D

The accommodation is meant to be really nice but never stayed there.
I did, years ago. It was good. I was working at a school along the road. Broke my knee playing cricket.

The B&B I stayed in in York in May were more than happy for me to leave luggage there all day.
My colleague who was there last weekend actually changed her booking to another hotel because she needed somewhere to store luggage on her last day.

ATOMIC SUPLEX - it is so that, if check out is 10am but you don't want to leave York/Wherever quite yet, for example, you can pick up your luggage later, on your way to the station. Are you always going to want to get on a train before 10am rather than enjoying the last possible moment in your holiday destination?

My colleague who was there last weekend actually changed her booking to another hotel because she needed somewhere to store luggage on her last day.

ATOMIC SUPLEX - it is so that, if check out is 10am but you don't want to leave York/Wherever quite yet, for example, you can pick up your luggage later, on your way to the station. Are you always going to want to get on a train before 10am rather than enjoying the last possible moment in your holiday destination?
I dunno, I guess I figured a transfer day would mean going straight to the next location to enjoy the afternoon at the new place after we had checked in.

I dunno, I guess I figured a transfer day would mean going straight to the next location to enjoy the afternoon at the new place after we had checked in.
If you’re staying up that way you will, for example, check out of your hotel before 10, and then get a train from York to Scarborough, which takes less than an hour. So you’re in Scarborough at 11am, but can’t check in to your hotel for several hours…

If you’re staying up that way you will, for example, check out of your hotel before 10, and then get a train from York to Scarborough, which takes less than an hour. So you’re in Scarborough at 11am, but can’t check in to your hotel for several hours…
O really? I didn't realise you couldn't check in that early. Is that a UK thing?

O really? I didn't realise you couldn't check in that early. Is that a UK thing?
Most hotels have last check out times a few hours earlier than first check in times, to allow for cleaning the room.

You may he able to leave your stuff somewhere after checking out of one hotel, or before checking in to the next, but you can't rely on it atm as you could in non covid times.

Most hotels have last check out times a few hours earlier than first check in times, to allow for cleaning the room.

You may he able to leave your stuff somewhere after checking out of one hotel, or before checking in to the next, but you can't rely on it atm as you could in non covid times.
Yeah, I get how it works. I usually check out at something like 10 and check in somewhere around 11 or 12. Never been a problem as I recall.

Normally fine in my experience. If the room isn’t ready just dump stuff at reception and go for lunch :)

We're doing the last bits of admin for our summer holiday in northern England so we're just tidying up this kind of stuff - we're finding that check-in times are around 3-4pm, and they are quite solid on that because of the demands of Covid cleaning, but that providers are quite happy for guests to drop their luggage off well before that.

Ring the provider, explain the situation, and ask.

Can’t go wrong with those three places - though in Covid times I’d book popular things like Yorvik and Betties well in advance.

I was going to say hire a car but as you don’t drive I’d deffo stay in each place rather than try to ‘commute’

Also another vote for Hull. It’s well underrated and has at least three days worth of just museums and fish bothering. Perhaps a back up this time if you can’t get accommodation in Scarborough or Whitby?

Back to my last question then . . . is that a UK thing? I can't remember ever coming across it before.
I have come across it in lots of places. It kind of makes sense. I am surprised that anyone is surprised by it....

According to the internet, the standard check in time in a hotel in Japan is from 2pm onwards. Just as an example, randomly selected, of course :D

Yeah, as I said, I get that. . . I just have not had a problem checking in at midday that I can recall. I have not stayed at many hotels in the UK.
Yes sometimes your room might be ready and available early, I've experienced that occasionally both abroad and in the UK, but I wouldn't bank on it and certainly not post-Covid

Yeah, as I said, I get that. . . I just have not had a problem checking in at midday that I can recall. I have not stayed at many hotels in the UK.
I have stayed at a LOT of hotels in the UK because of the job I used to do and we have never been able to check in to the rooms before 2pm, although we have happily left our luggage and got on with the training session or whatever it is in the conference suite.

And I have not only stayed in hotels with conference suites, before you jump on that - I have stayed in small hotels, too, and the check in time has consistently been 2pm, or often later.

Back
Top Bottom