Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I think I'm done with Airbnb

Stayed in a couple of Airbnb's but they have always been where the host lives. The first was a loft bedroom where we literally had to climb a ladder and crawl under the eaves of the roof. Fell asleep listening to the north sea battering the sea wall just out side. Host was a lovely art student with all her work scattered about. Really interesting person to chat to over breakfast.
Second host was a scatty woman who said just put your stuff in the fridge with mine, her dog attacked my dog and the hall light lit up the bedroom, I was sleeping in. It felt like staying in an old aunts house. Again a bit quirky but very friendly and chatty which made the whole experience a bit more fun that boring corporate hotels.
This is what Airbnb was supposed to be about when it started. I once stayed in someone's flat for a couple of days while the owner stayed with her partner, I suppose that is demonstration of how it's initial idea expands. It's too successful so draws in the money and landlords. Something like it would develop if it didn't exist. I guess the issue that councils are facing is that the idea of a "holiday villa" in a tourist spot has now encroached everywhere. Portugal has a real housing problem so is perhaps leading the way.

This is what Airbnb was supposed to be about when it started. I once stayed in someone's flat for a couple of days while the owner stayed with her partner, I suppose that is demonstration of how it's initial idea expands. It's too successful so draws in the money and landlords. Something like it would develop if it didn't exist. I guess the issue that councils are facing is that the idea of a "holiday villa" in a tourist spot has now encroached everywhere. Portugal has a real housing problem so is perhaps leading the way.
Leading the way as in dragging their feet over it and not building any affordable housing , despite 'rent control' , the ability for councils to use uninhabited housing, majority voting in condominiums if a license is to be granted to rent etc the situation hasn't improved at all. Lots of froth.

I’m going to an Airbnb tomorrow and I just got the email with the 12 step instructions for opening the door :facepalm: there’s even a video to click on so it must be extremely complicated. Hotels where there’s a human who says hello & gives you the key to your room they were a great invention.
Sounds like a reverse escape room. Some people would probably pay good money just for that experience alone. 🤣

I booked a place ages ago in Helsinki for just one night in September, stopping off on my way to Japan. So a couple of days ago the guy messages me and says he needs to add an extra £7.50 because, he said, he couldn't afford anywhere to stay himself that night so would have to sleep in his car! Well that's hardly my fault is it, and as I was already paying £90 I wasn't going to pay any more, so I cancelled it. He then messages me again, pissed off and being really sarky, saying 'what's up can't you afford an extra £7.50, you can't even get a beer for that price here', the cheeky cunt!

I've never been asked by anyone for an increase before (and didn't think it was allowed) so I asked Airbnb about it and they said it's allowed but they have to ask you and you can turn it down. I said I didn't think it was right and even though £7.50 isn't much his reason was pathetic and I'm sure he was just trying to gouge a bit more out of me, so on principle I fucked him off.

Anyway, I found another really nice looking place centrally situated for just £70 (cheap for Helsinki). I then messaged him back and said "I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing you were having to spend the night in a car, so now you can sleep in your own place, can't you?!'

Last edited:
I booked a place ages ago in Helsinki for just one night in September, stopping off on my way to Japan. So a couple of days ago the guy messages me and says he needs to add an extra £7.50 because, he said, he couldn't afford anywhere to stay himself that night so would have to sleep in his car! Well that's hardly my fault is it, and as I was already paying £90 I wasn't going to pay any more, so I cancelled it. He then messages me again, pissed off and being really sarky, saying 'what's up can't you afford an extra £7.50, you can't even get a beer for that price here', the cheeky cunt!

I've never been asked by anyone for an increase before (and didn't think it was allowed) so I asked Airbnb about it and they said it's allowed but they have to ask you and you can turn it down. I said I didn't think it was right and even though £7.50 isn't much his reason was pathetic and I'm sure he was just trying to gouge a bit more out of me, so on principle I fucked him off.

Anyway, I found another really nice looking place centrally situated for just £70 (cheap for Helsinki). I then messaged him back and said "I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing you were having to spend the night in a car, so now you can sleep in your own place, can't you?!'

Good shout. Anyone desperate enough to rent their gaff out whilst they sleep in the car will likely have questionable hygiene standards too.

Stayed in a few excellent ones in the US. One was in an old house on the edge of Hancock Park in LA with the host who was a fascinating , slightly mad 80 year old retired opera singer. She became my US mum for the rest of my trip, checking in with me everytime I stayed somewhere new to make sure I was OK.

Stayed in a few excellent ones in the US. One was in an old house on the edge of Hancock Park in LA with the host who was a fascinating , slightly mad 80 year old retired opera singer. She became my US mum for the rest of my trip, checking in with me everytime I stayed somewhere new to make sure I was OK.
I think they may still be fine if you're staying in out of the way towns or non touristy places - the one I went to in Lancaster PA was lovely - but I'm booking hotels for popular destinations from now on.

I hope I'm not tempting fate here but so far I've never had a bad experience in one and have had some really good ones, but I guess it depends to an extent what you're looking for. I like to have a decent place to myself and although I like a bargain I don't mind paying a bit extra for a nice gaff either, although I still usually get a better deal than staying in hotels - which, generally, I'm not keen on.

In my experience if you find a place with great reviews (esp over a few years) with an average of about 4.7+ then you'll usually be ok. Negative comments make me wary but sometimes if the host has responded positively and addressed them then that's a good sign. I recently stayed in one in Antwerp where a couple of reviews about a year ago mentioned a bad smell seeping in from downstairs, but the owner said he'd taken measures to prevent it and nobody recently had complained. It looked great so I booked it and it was fab, there was no smell at all (even downstairs) and the owner was a top bloke.

The one I mentioned above in Helsinki would probably have been fine too - it had lots of good reviews and looked nice - but I just didn't like the guy's attitude.

Excellent stuff

The new legislation bulks up enforcement of existing rules on how short-term rentals are allowed to operate. Passed in January, the measure known as Local Law 18 mandates that short-term rental hosts register with city government.

“Registration creates a clear path for hosts who follow the city’s longstanding laws and protects travelers from illegal and unsafe accommodations, while ending the proliferation of illegal short-term rentals,” Christian Klossner, of the New York City mayor’s office of special enforcement, said in a statement to the Guardian.

Klossner’s office is overseeing implementation of the new rules. It said the city will spend time working with platforms to use its verification process.

Legal short-term rentals are properties with no more than two people hosted. The host has to reside in the dwelling unit, and guests must have access to all parts of the home.

Under the tighter regulations, eligible hosts must prove they live in the dwelling they are renting out and that the home is up to municipal safety codes and other regulatory requirements. Hosts in violation of the new legislation could face fines from $1,000 to $5,000.

Also:

Regular tenants complained about buildings that suddenly felt like hotels, with strangers in their hallways and occasional parties in rented units. Investors Snapped up units in condominium buildings, or whole townhouses, then made a fortune doing nightly rentals prohibited by law.

An Airbnb host accused of making millions by posting fake bookings across the country on short-term rental sites was arrested and charged with wire fraud and aggravated identity theft, according to an indictment filed last Thursday in Florida district court.

Airbnb really don’t give a fuck about anything except their cut.

Airbnb and Booking.com allowing illegal social housing sublets, say English councils
I can't see an answer other than tighter regulations on renting out whole properties for holiday lets.
i.e. it can't be about the particular web platform taking action.

What do you do if you stay in an Airbnb, leave a nice positive review for the host and get nothing back. No review. No communication, nothing?

Is it the kind of thing you can kick up a fuss about or is that just to invite a negative review?

Back
Top Bottom