Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I think I'm done with Airbnb

I'm booked into a couple of airbnbs next month. One is a spare room in someone's house and the other seems to be a converted shed in someone's garden. They are ok value for the areas they are in (rural Wiltshire). The more up market airbnbs in the area are the same price as the hotels - which is daft.

Tried using it to save money on a hotel for my last holiday and received a ridiculous amount of requests to promise things like not smoking outside.

Fucked it off. Won't be bothering trying again.

to an extent, but if rents are high then companies and wealthy people will enter the market because they can get a 'good return' on their investment and be willing to pay higher prices for houses.

Airbnb sounds like it might have been a good deal early on in its life, but lately it sounds like a nightmare to deal with. Being spied on, ridiculous demands from the hosts, review fuckery, arbitrary and baseless blacklisting of customers, and so on.

Paying more for a regular hotel sounds like a better deal to me. Most of them are willing to provide some semblance of actual service, you don't have to wash up or clean anything, and if something goes wrong then they'll give you freebies (at least in my experience, last time I got sent to an already-occupied room and was gifted a couple of free drinks for my troubles).

I mainly like Airbnb for the self catering aspect. I much prefer to cook my own food and the more traditional self catering places often don't let you book for just one or two nights.

I'm only one who thinks Airbnb are actively pursuing the 'fuck off to someone else's house and city and make a racket' market with their new TV ads? First it was Party Weekend With The Girls, now it's Take Your Teenagers Somewhere They Can Plug An Electric Guitar Into An Amp And Play Teenage Dirtbag. Would have thought given recent criticism they'd be doing the opposite.

I mainly like Airbnb for the self catering aspect. I much prefer to cook my own food and the more traditional self catering places often don't let you book for just one or two nights.
We've been staying in holiday cottages every year since about 1999, have never come across restrictions on stays. We just stayed for a week in a lovely place near Stroud.

Back
Top Bottom