Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge earthquake in Haiti

I've heard of people surviving off rain water in other disasters, but there has been no rain since the quake has there? :(

It was announced hours ago it has now changed from a rescue to a recovery operation. (An official decision than anyone who was trapped is now dead.)

I've heard of people surviving off rain water in other disasters, but there has been no rain since the quake has there? :(

Not a drop that I've heard/seen judging by reports.

Meanwhile, the woman who was pulled out earlier today is pparently in her 70s but they're unable to treat her due to lack of equipment.

Would be a crying shame if she survived 7 days buried only to die from lack of medical care :(

It was announced hours ago it has now changed from a rescue to a recovery operation. (An official decision than anyone who was trapped is now dead.)

Despite finding an old woman a few hours ago? :(

I don't reckon the S&R teams will just stop searching unless ordered to

I'm sure those babies from the Mexican earthquake lasted as long as a week as well.

Apparently a German team and a Taiwanese team were also apparently looking for some survivors after their equipment/dogs may have picked up signs of life.

I have heard of people using their mobile phones to call for help, but their emergency lines are jammed and it's taking too long. :(

A bit of heart warming news on the mobile phone issue, though. I read about a European country is in the process of sending in thousands and thousands of mobile phones. And, get this, a portable transmitter to handle all of the calls.

Big thumbs up to that country.

They say that communication is one of the major concerns, and here comes the Calvary. Hopefully, the Haitians will be better able to find out what is going on and where to go for help.

One of the major issues in this scenario is the shortage of fuel. They need the fuel to power the relief efforts.

My internet sucks, so I'm can't really keep up with how they are going to solve the issue.

Could someone please post an update on this?

please - with sugar on top???

and a cherry????

I read somewhere that there were 29 search and rescue teams, from many and various countries, in Port-au-Prince. I would be surprised if they stopped if there are still people to find.

One of the major issues in this scenario is the shortage of fuel. They need the fuel to power the relief efforts.

My internet sucks, so I'm can't really keep up with how they are going to solve the issue.

Could someone please post an update on this?

please - with sugar on top???

and a cherry????

Not sure where they're currently getting it but Venezuela's donated 1 million gallons of fuel which the Dominican Republic should receive by Thursday. How it gets to Haiti from there, I'm not sure

SANTO DOMINGO. - The Treasury Minister today announced Venezuela’s dispatch of one million gallons of fuel to Dominican Republic yesterday, to be shipped to Haiti as a donation to help in the wake of the earthquake.
Vicente Bengoa said 546,000 gallons of gasoline, 446,000 of diesel and 8,000 of avtur will arrive in the Dominican Refinery’s (Refidomsa) deposits on Thursday, to be dispatched to Haiti from there.
Moreover the official said 100,000 gallons of avtur have been allocated to the Dominican Armed Forces for the relief work in Port-au-Prince so far, and 20,000 more have been donated directly to Haiti.
He said the companies Shell, Island, Sunnix, Esso, Dipsa and Petronam have also donated 60,000 gallons of diesel.
As to other aid, Bengoa said 124 million has been allocated to the Public Health Ministry for emergency vaccination and expenses to attend the thousands of injured Haitians in hospitals along the border and the capital.

I have no idea what Avtur is :oops:

I read somewhere that there were 29 search and rescue teams, from many and various countries, in Port-au-Prince. I would be surprised if they stopped if there are still people to find.

Canada is not in Port-au-Prince, so you can add another county to the search and rescue teams.

(we never get the high profile things, the politics are not in our favour)

Not sure where they're currently getting it but Venezuela's donated 1 million gallons of fuel which the Dominican Republic should receive by Thursday. How it gets to Haiti from there, I'm not sure I have no idea what Avtur is :oops:

Thanks Minnie.

The distribution is going to be a major problem. The Canadians have brought heavy machinery to start clearing the roads. It would suck it this part of the mission was stalled due to no petrol

<sigh>

glad it isn't my job!!!

and directly from the mouth of a Canadian

Oxfam Canada's executive director Robert Fox told of how 20,000 tonnes of Oxfam Canada supplies on a plane that circled round Port-au-Prince's overwhelmed airport was diverted to neighbouring Dominican Republic and trucked in to the earthquake zone.

Those supplies included sanitation equipment, chlorine for treating drinking water, buckets, plastic sheeting and body bags. Oxfam is distributing water at soccer fields and golf courses in the capital where tens of thousands of homeless people are camped.

"Yesterday our capacity to deliver water in some places was hampered by the fact that we didn't have the fuel for our trucks but today the fuel has arrived so we're back to full delivery and ramping up," said Fox. "So there are certainly barriers but we are overcoming some of those barriers."

:D

*read again*

:D

You know, there are times when I read about these tragedies and I look at the size of this county. All I want to do is scoop them up and let them live here. We have the room.

PS: it would be too cold for them (and practically every other country in the world that has these kind of disasters). You could have the Siberians though, but I think they have enough land :D

PS: it would be too cold for them (and practically every other country in the world that has these kind of disasters). You could have the Siberians though, but I think they have enough land :D

To be honest, the Haitian's are not a peaceful nation. They fight amongst themselves. We don't need that here.

But, we have upped our quota for refugees from the area. Over 90% of Haitians come to Montreal. It makes sense, they are francophone.

erm - parts of Canada are warm, we even have a desert with sand and everything.

To be honest, the Haitian's are not a peaceful nation. They fight amongst themselves. We don't need that here.

But, we have upped our quota for refugees from the area. Over 90% of Haitians come to Montreal. It makes sense, they are francophone.

erm - parts of Canada are warm, we even have a desert with sand and everything.

Well I doubt having thousands of escaped prisoners on the streets helps matters. As for the Haitian population in general, I've no idea.

Anyway, here's the video of Anna Zizi being rescued.

Fairly feisty for what's she's been through. I bet she's saying something along the lines of "you took your time getting here" :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8469224.stm

Plus French speakers do tend to be more 'shouty', so its best to lump them all in together :)

I couldn't bear to be trapped under the rubble for a moment let alone several days.
Unable to move,dust in my eyes,nose and mouth.
The abhorrent stench of decomposition all around.
Wondering what the fuck happened and will anyone care enough to come and rescue me.

I couldn't bear to be trapped under the rubble for a moment let alone several days.
Unable to move,dust in my eyes,nose and mouth.
The abhorrent stench of decomposition all around.
Wondering what the fuck happened and will anyone care enough to come and rescue me.

I don't think anyone would :D

I do wonder if there's more people buried alive in that supermarket. All that food around them etc.

Obviously, if you were in the cat litter aisle, probably not ideal, :D but if you were stuck in an aisle near to food or water, you at least might have more of a chance

I don't think anyone would :D

I do wonder if there's more people buried alive in that supermarket. All that food around them etc.

Obviously, if you were in the cat litter aisle, probably not ideal, :D but if you were stuck in an aisle near to food or water, you at least might have more of a chance

:eek:

Laughing matter already??

Back
Top Bottom