Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge earthquake in Haiti

Just been hit again by a preliminary 6.0 magnitude quake apparently. (From news source on twitter)

6.1 according to The Guardian.

A strong earthquake hit Haiti today, waking people from their beds and sending others running into the streets.

The US Geological Survey says the quake measured 6.1, and hit a country already ravaged by an earthquake eight days ago.

The tremor was centered 26 miles west-northwest of Jacmel, and there were no immediate reports of injuries.

The US Geological Survey says the quake struck at a depth of 13.7 miles.

Ed Pilkington, the Guardian correspondent in Port-au-Prince, 35 miles from the epicentre, said this morning's quake was strong enough to be felt in the Haitian capital.

Pilkington tweeted: "just been woken by my bed shaking in #Haiti. another after shock."

Yeah, 6.1 on my e-quake allert :(

There seems to be alot of seismic activity going on these last few weeks, alot of +5s on the go. Even yellowstone has had another swarm, over 400 quakes in 4 days :eek: (only small ones, which is probably a good thing)

Yeah, 6.1 on my e-quake allert :(

There seems to be alot of seismic activity going on these last few weeks, alot of +5s on the go. Even yellowstone has had another swarm, over 400 quakes in 4 days :eek: (only small ones, which is probably a good thing)

when that bugger blows we're all fucked.

yeah but it's still nothing on last years swarm, 813 quakes in 2 weeks. (they usually have 500 per year) But again, lots of little ones, which is a better release than 1 big one :)

Let's hope this one carries on the way it is, with lots of little rumbles.

Not sure where they're currently getting it but Venezuela's donated 1 million gallons of fuel which the Dominican Republic should receive by Thursday. How it gets to Haiti from there, I'm not sure

I have no idea what Avtur is :oops:

Its fuel for turboprop and jet aircraft.

Giles..

haiti-mass-grave_298829s.jpg

The working class are given no dignity in life and none in death.

Look at the image it says it LOUD..

Not to me, it says "we got alot of dead folk that we need to bury quickly, before desease spreads. "

It's a crying shame, but this is an effective way to clean the place up as quickly as possible.

Let the conspiracy commence
http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/37678/Chavez__US_weapon_test_caused_Haiti_earthquake/

Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez has once again accused the United States of playing God. But this time it's Haiti's disastrous earthquake that he thinks the U.S. was behind. Spanish newspaper ABC quotes Chavez as saying that the U.S. navy launched a weapon capable of inducing a powerful earthquake off the shore of Haiti. He adds that this time it was only a drill and the final target is ... destroying and taking over Iran.

*chortle*

I just see a mass grave, I don't see class.

In Haiti, the western media continue to report that tens of thousands of people in Haiti continue to go without food, water and most significantly, vital medical supplies for those with undoubtably infected injuries. Aside from the undoubted logistical complexity and scale of the crisis which is franly overwhelming, the also exists overwhelming evidence that the distribution of aid has been woefully coordinated. The manner of the United States intervention with respect to distribution in combination with the ineffectiveness of the UN has hinted at an underlying sinister agenda. Has a bureacratic red-tape inertia at the top effectively caused slow genocide here?

http://projectsheffield.wordpress.c...e-given-no-dignity-in-life-and-none-in-death/

In Haiti, the western media continue to report that tens of thousands of people in Haiti continue to go without food, water and most significantly, vital medical supplies for those with undoubtably infected injuries. Aside from the undoubted logistical complexity and scale of the crisis which is franly overwhelming, the also exists overwhelming evidence that the distribution of aid has been woefully coordinated. The manner of the United States intervention with respect to distribution in combination with the ineffectiveness of the UN has hinted at an underlying sinister agenda. Has a bureacratic red-tape inertia at the top effectively caused slow genocide here?

http://projectsheffield.wordpress.c...e-given-no-dignity-in-life-and-none-in-death/

Is this you citing your own blog? :D

oh ffs, natural disasters like this transcend class. if bodies are rotting in the streets, you need to get them buried, regardless of their relationship to the means of production.

haiti-mass-grave_298829s.jpg

This feels a bit similar to holocaust images that people post up.

If you're trying to remind people that thousands of people have died and their corpses are now being practically disposed of in mass graves to prevent spread of disease - fair enough (though I don't know why you'd see the need to remind, unless you think people don't 'get it')

But you're not doing that, are you? You're exploiting that harrowing image to propogate your class agenda. Get it straight - these people died because of a natural disaster. Doubtless there will be people exploiting the results of that natural disaster for their own political agenda - and you are doing same.

They didn't die because of class. They died because of a FUCKING BIG EARTHQUAKE.

Like using their image on internet forums to try and make some vacuous claims about class politics you mean. I agree.

He won't get what you just said there.

He's not getting the point that he's exploiting the dead by way of his images - in the interests of his political agenda.

Back
Top Bottom