Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How will you vote if you want neither FPTP nor AV

What's your vote?

• Total voters
They didn't campaign vigorously for it - they first insured themselves against a YES vote by fiddling the boundaries then did what they were expected to. Nothing else. What other options did they have? Their gamble is that the lib-dems are tied to them no matter what the outcome.

I guess that makes sense. I'm still not convinced it will have any real effect, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

It was messing up the cuts agenda that was by far and away the biggest issue for me.

But it was also the realisation that AV is just the same as FPTP but with a slight rearrangement of seats. I want big changes and I see PR as a pathway to these changes -- it became clear to me that voting for AV would remove the chance of PR for the rest of my life.

There were other issues. Arguing with a8 made me put all my thoughts into a coherent and consistent* order. And doing that hardened my line, made me realise what was really important here.

That's a beautiful irony underneath this, of course -- the man employed by the ERS to argue in favour of AV was actually instrumental in leading to me arguing against it to others.

*at least as much as is allowed by Godel's Incompleteness Theorem. One for maths fans, there.
This is more or less my thinking too - and I think A8 had that effect on a lot of people!

Isn't it AMS you have?
It's a two vote system, with proportional top ups based on party lists. So it is one type of AMS, but not the only type. AV Plus, the Jenkins favoured system, would be similar, with the constituency vote being AV, with a top up list. For Holyrood, we have that, only the constituency vote isn't AV. (Technically speaking, the second vote is counted using the D'Hondt method).

I personally don't like party list systems.

That's hilarious. Adam Boulton is a knob iirc, but he's great there, I love how he just takes her to pieces on everything.

Jesus I'm one of the few Yes left now but I still felt smashing his smug looking face in - and wish he'd questioned her assertion that under FPTP all voters have an equal say when clearly that is flippping far from the case.

Newbie was wondering on one of these AV threads what option a pro-PR person should take. After thinking about it for a bit I reckon the best result for PR would be a Yes, but with a very very low turnout. It would discredit both systems imo. Of course, how one should vote in that case is still a bit of a mystery. Abstain, I suppose.

I'm not pro-PR myself, though.

Newbie was wondering on one of these AV threads what option a pro-PR person should take. After thinking about it for a bit I reckon the best result for PR would be a Yes, but with a very very low turnout. It would discredit both systems imo. Of course, how one should vote in that case is still a bit of a mystery. Abstain, I suppose.

I'm not pro-PR myself, though.

There is no result, YES or NO, with whatever level of participation, that makes PR look like a popular system. That's one reason why the Tories offered it to Clegg, and one reason why they're not overly bothered by the outcome. Clegg's put PR off the table more effectively than he possibly could have done if he really was a Tory sleeper agent.

There is no result, YES or NO, with whatever level of participation, that makes PR look like a popular system. That's one reason why the Tories offered it to Clegg, and one reason why they're not overly bothered by the outcome. Clegg's put PR off the table more effectively than he possibly could have done if he really was a Tory sleeper agent.
Yes indeed, but out of the proffered options i meant

I want a system where our representatives are selected on the basis of how many 'likes' they get on facebook. So I'll be voting No.

None of them would get in. According to the latest info on PageData our government would be formed of:

Eminem
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Peter Griffin
Shakira
Justin Bieber
Eric Cartman
Homer Simpson
Megan Fox
Katy Perry
Lil Wayne
Bob Marley
Vin Diesel
Harry Potter
Dr Gregory House
SpongeBob SquarePants

I see that as a massive improvement.

None of them would get in. According to the latest info on PageData our government would be formed of:

Eminem
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Peter Griffin
Shakira
Justin Bieber
Eric Cartman
Homer Simpson
Megan Fox
Katy Perry
Lil Wayne
Bob Marley
Vin Diesel
Harry Potter
Dr Gregory House
SpongeBob SquarePants

I see that as a massive improvement.

fair enough. you've sold it to me :D

House would get the health job obviously.
Vin Diesel would get defence.
Simpson for the Homer Office (sorry), and Spongebob in charge of foreign policy.

Back
Top Bottom