Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How will you vote if you want neither FPTP nor AV

What's your vote?

• Total voters
Hmm, I would appear to be another that is being persuaded to lean from the Yes camp to the No camp.

Why does it feel like I'm being drawn to the dark side?

Thankfully the YES leaflets were even worse.

Don't think of voting one way or the other as voting for either of these bag of shysters.

I'm voting "Yes" not because I think AV is the best possible solution (i.e. I do fit the terms agreed by the thread title) but because the Tories have chosen to mount a big, brutal and IMO dishonest campaign to try and dissuade people from voting for AV without mentioning the main reason they're against it; FPTP is in their interests, AV is not.

I'm voting "Yes" not because I think AV is the best possible solution (i.e. I do fit the terms agreed by the thread title) but because the Tories have chosen to mount a big, brutal and IMO dishonest campaign to try and dissuade people from voting for AV without mentioning the main reason they're against it; FPTP is in their interests, AV is not.

Apply that logic to the Yes campaign as well and you're back where you started.

AV is perfectly in their interests. If the tories shad said something different you'd have voted another way would you?

It seems a bit of a leap to say that voting 'no' will stop the systematic dismantling of our welfare state.

It's about possibilities and probabilities. Due to the way the lib dem party is set up, and their extraordinary party constitution, a grassroots/backbench revolt has a far better chance of toppling the leadership, or stopping it in its' tracks, than in either of the other two parties. A 'no' vote has a chance of setting that revolt in motion, thereby ultimately ending the coalition way before they get the chance to implement their full, horrific programme

Can't see it happening, personally.

But I've moved back towards the 'No' camp, and have pulled away from the 'Spoiling my ballot paper' camp.

Not that I think it would happen but would a major incidence of spoilt ballot papers have more chance of being harmful to the condems than a major no vote?

Don't think of voting one way or the other as voting for either of these bag of shysters.

That's the bit I'm having trouble with. I can see Cameron puffing his chest out and claiming my 'No' vote as an endorsement of his policies. I'm still wavering on this.

That's the bit I'm having trouble with. I can see Cameron puffing his chest out and claiming my 'No' vote as an endorsement of his policies. I'm still wavering on this.

In that case you lose either way - if you vote YES you get Clegg doing the same for the exact same policies.

I'm voting pragmatically - i want to stop the cuts, i think a NO vote is more likely to do that.

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. Not voting seems the likeliest option for me although on the day anti-Clegg fervour may swing it.

Not that I think it would happen but would a major incidence of spoilt ballot papers have more chance of being harmful to the condems than a major no vote?

It wouldn't ever, would it? Spoiling ballot papers is a complete waste of a vote, imo.

However- iif the vast majority of the turnout spoilt theirs for this particular issue, it would certainly make a statement. It would only be that, though, can't see it as being harmful really. And besides, if people were going to do that, a campaign to raise awareness and gain support should have started ages ago.

The question I guess now is, if the LDs lose this AND get a right pasting on polling day - both of which look a good bet now - which LDs will scream "that's it! we were gulled into this coalition off the back of this, we're doing things I NEVER joined this party to do, we've now lost this, everyone hates us WAAAH!!" and either leave or decide to stay and plot/fight for a total change....and which have the balls to say "we might as well cling on for the duration" hoping the polls will improve over the next four years.
Now let's see what the slimey little sods are made of

People very often cling onto things in the hope they will get better throwing good money or emotion or political support after bad.

Will anyone do an alternative MORI type poll asking if people want FPTP, AV or actual PR which will be published, do you think?

The question I guess now is, if the LDs lose this AND get a right pasting on polling day - both of which look a good bet now - which LDs will scream "that's it! we were gulled into this coalition off the back of this, we're doing things I NEVER joined this party to do, we've now lost this, everyone hates us WAAAH!!" and either leave or decide to stay and plot/fight for a total change....and which have the balls to say "we might as well cling on for the duration" hoping the polls will improve over the next four years.
Now let's see what the slimey little sods are made of

post #39

and post #31 :(

post #39

and post #31 :(
you may well be right, but i'd be more optimistic. through all their wilderness years, their self-image as the "Mr cleans" and the "good guys" was a vital part of their psychological armour. They've never gone through this before, and - unlike their tory chums - aren't used to being hated as they are now. There's nothing which has tested and tempered them. And losing all of that municipal powerbase - the one they spent 50 years building with meticulous, painstaking inch-by-inch dedication - in the course of a coupla years - that's REALLY gonna hurt.

People very often cling onto things in the hope they will get better throwing good money or emotion or political support after bad.
yup, and you're reading the words of one of 'em right now. I stayed in the Labour party way longer than I should have

I'm going to vote "yes", cos I know that if I vote "no" the politicos will manipulate it as meaning the general residents of their country not wanting ANY change.

I would much rather vote for PR.

"Look, everyone voted no, so they MUST be happy with the system..." I can already hear it!

because they didn't want to.

coz they tried it out in Scotland and it worked ;) God forbid anything that works should go national!!
The major players LIKE FPTP, they are only offering an alternative because they've been forced into it afaics.

coz they tried it out in Scotland and it worked ;) God forbid anything that works should go national!!
The major players LIKE FPTP, they are only offering an alternative because they've been forced into it afaics.

Have you got AV in Scotland? Think before posting this time.

Back
Top Bottom