Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horse Meat found in Tesco Beefburgers

What i do not understand, is why buy burgers in the first place? Maybe they were of the sort that one could not make at home... like adding a little extra spice or even horsemeat!!! because homemade burgers are not only cheaper to make but incredibly easy...
I think a lot of people both overestimate the skill needed to make food (helped, almost undoubtedly, by the relentless advertising which paints easy tasks as "hard" then offers an "easy" solution out of a packet), and underestimate their own ability to the extent that they feel it'd be too hard to do this.

You hear a lot of people saying "I can't cook", but when you enquire more closely, it's more that they're nervous of trying.

Will this make horsemeat MORE or LESS attractive to eat now? Won't people think that if they didn't notice the difference, it can't be that bad, so they might as well try it?

I guess that's the thing - making burgers wouldn't be that much of a bind, but burgers are the type of thing bought by people with either very little money or extremely little time. You could get rid of burgers but another kind of mucky processed food would take up the slack.
true... but if anyone can buy burgers cheaper than if they were to make them, then they shouldn't expect 100% prime beef... then again, i didn't know horse was cheaper :O

Will this make horsemeat MORE or LESS attractive to eat now? Won't people think that if they didn't notice the difference, it can't be that bad, so they might as well try it?

The reason most people in the UK don't eat horse meat has nothing to do with what they perceive it might taste like.

The reason most people in the UK don't eat horse meat has nothing to do with what they perceive it might taste like.
it's the thought of eating a loved animal rather than taste, however, the british used to be greater 100 years ago than they are currently on their tastebuds... they are the kuala versions of the human race... how many kids still don't know chips are made from potatoes?

I've discussed this with others and not one person so far has seemed revolted by the idea of eating horse. It's made me curious for sure

I've discussed this with others and not one person so far has seemed revolted by the idea of eating horse. It's made me curiosity for sure
revolted maybe not, but for the same reasons i would not eat cat/dog/rabbit/rat/eagle/humans, i would not eat horse, and thank god i make my own burgers... i.e. i heard, horse, is a very tough meat

there's always time to make burgers... sunday roasts are still made at home and they take a lot longer to cook...
If you're a smug, ignorant twat, yes. If you have to hold down two jobs to make ends meet, there are no shops selling fresh food in your local area and the busfare to shops selling decent food adds 10% to the cost of what you can carry home and then only if you're lucky enough to have free childcare available, you might think differently. If you are, in fact, capable of thought.

We don't raise horses or for that matter dogs for the table. It is no wonder to me then that people are annoyed if they are sold horse meat masquerading as beef. Quite apart from the medicines the horses may have been given which may be harmful to humans.

If you have the money. At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, horsemeat that is fit for human consumption is more expensive than beef and doesn't really come in cheaper versions, just the luxury stuff. They're not very efficient at converting feed into flesh.

If you're a smug, ignorant twat, yes. If you have to hold down two jobs to make ends meet, there are no shops selling fresh food in your local area and the busfare to shops selling decent food adds 10% to the cost of what you can carry home and then only if you're lucky enough to have free childcare available, you might think differently. If you are, in fact, capable of thought.
i did mention above that "if anyone can buy burgers cheaper than if they were to make them, then they shouldn't expect 100% prime beef" i live in the Channel Islands, nowhere is too far!!! however, where there's a will there's a way, even if i had to make them and freeze them down i'd find a way, if i have time to be on this forum, i could skip it once to make burgers :))

p.s. not smug, maybe a little ignorant... very opinionated... you however, very angry at the cost!!! maybe we should talk about that?

i did mention above that "if anyone can buy burgers cheaper than if they were to make them, then they shouldn't expect 100% prime beef" i live in the Channel Islands, nowhere is too far!!! however, where there's a will there's a way, even if i had to make them and freeze them down i'd find a way, if i have time to be on this forum, i could skip it once to make burgers :))
TBF, ymu's point is a good one, and perhaps the Channel Islands experience isn't entirely typical. I live in a pretty impoverished part of the country, and there IS quite a gulf between those who have transport, resources and time to get around buying decent food, and those who are reliant on supermarkets and/or cheap frozen food to feed their families.

Also, you may be underestimating how difficult it seems to someone who hasn't ever done it (or who hasn't got a freezer) to cook food from scratch, prepare it, package it, and store it. To achieve that, quite a lot of households, quite apart from merely skilling up, would also need to acquire a decent cooker, pans, food prep equipment (mixer, mincer, food processor), not to mention the packaging and stuff for freezing it in. To a household on a budget, that's going to look like a big mountain to climb, even if it saves them money in the long term.

Could be worse...

Soylent-Green-305x402.jpg

TBF, ymu's point is a good one, and perhaps the Channel Islands experience isn't entirely typical. I live in a pretty impoverished part of the country, and there IS quite a gulf between those who have transport, resources and time to get around buying decent food, and those who are reliant on supermarkets and/or cheap frozen food to feed their families.

Also, you may be underestimating how difficult it seems to someone who hasn't ever done it (or who hasn't got a freezer) to cook food from scratch, prepare it, package it, and store it. To achieve that, quite a lot of households, quite apart from merely skilling up, would also need to acquire a decent cooker, pans, food prep equipment (mixer, mincer, food processor), not to mention the packaging and stuff for freezing it in. To a household on a budget, that's going to look like a big mountain to climb, even if it saves them money in the long term.
not underestimating it at all, nor is my achievement to insult those that buy processed meals or praise those that cook from fresh.merely giving an opinion to get my point through... who in the world can put their hands up and say they never brought any processed foods? not me, if anyone.
never did anyone expect it to be 100% prime beef, at cheap costs. otherwise other competitors would be in there too.
This isn't about the "HORSE" it's about the lack of respect these food makers have given us, the amounts used was no accident. Why weren't people told? it's an outrage.
However, they don't care either, they just got found out that's all. What will the rest of us do? Just like you said, it's too difficult for everyone to put them in their place and go elsewhere.

That's because you're just better than all those stupid people, obviously. Especially at being a smug, ignorant cunt.

Living in the channel islands is nothing to be proud of - Your lot were eating German sausage during the war.

There is an article in the Guardian here talking about the business concerns of Findus and saying that they are already struggling financially and were planning on taking the whole company up market. Now that strategy is ruined. This could bring the company down

The best thing that can happen from Findus' point of view is if something else turns up with one or more of their competitors and this thing becomes a wider scandal. Otherwise they are going to feel the wrath of customers for the whole scandal.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/...candal-findus-reputation?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Saddled with huge debts?

Living in the channel islands is nothing to be proud of - Your lot were eating German sausage during the war.
Ah c'mon. That's a shit comment when there's so much wrong with what she actually said. Especially when she's a brand new poster diving into a very long thread without bothering to read it. Plenty of valid kickings to hand out.

Read the FAQ Drei, it'll help you avoid getting jumped on from quite such a great height.

Ah c'mon. That's a shit comment when there's so much wrong with what she actually said. Especially when she's a brand new poster diving into a very long thread without bothering to read it. Plenty of valid kickings to hand out.

Read the FAQ Drei, it'll help you avoid getting jumped on from quite such a great height.

Soz, you're right of course - Sometimes though, the lure of the peurile is too much to resist.

Reactions: ymu

what exactly have i said that is so wrong & against your opinion? I have read this discussion and I'm open to a debate with you whether we agree or not about each others opinion! so that this isn't all back tracked to individual words, tell me? & please be polite, i'm sure we can debate without falling to the level of name calling...
just to clarify, when i noted that im on the channel islands, that was meant to say that nowhere is too far to travel... if YOU read this thread then maybe YOU wont be jumping into conclusions, at no time did i say i am better than anyone :) but maybe you think that... to which, thanks :)

The Guardian says horsemeat suspected to have got into the food chain as a part of fraud including frauds by Italian and Polish mafia gangs, which does not surprise me, if it's been happening on such a big scale it had to be well organised. It's a really interesting article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/09/horsemeat-scandal-international-fraud

Sorry if anyone has already posted this, I did look back.

edited for accuracy

That's because you're just better than all those stupid people, obviously. Especially at being a smug, ignorant cunt.
to say you're a member since 2005 this is very impolite... jumping onto the newbie like a horse, careful they may put you into a burger.

Back
Top Bottom