Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Holyrood elections May 2021

Also just to apologise for the fuckers in my home constituency. Tory again with massive tactical voting by Labour supporters. :rolleyes:

Still, the Labour candidate (who's a list MSP) was the trolley boy (as we used to call them) in Wm Low back in the day when I was a Saturday lassie on the checkouts. (He's the same age as me but didn't know him really as we went to different schools.)

Also just to apologise for the fuckers in my home constituency. Tory again with massive tactical voting by Labour supporters. :rolleyes:

Still, the Labour candidate (who's a list MSP) was the trolley boy (as we used to call them) in Wm Low back in the day when I was a Saturday lassie on the checkouts. (He's the same age as me but didn't know him really as we went to different schools.)
Eastwood? 😳

I could never vote Tory Tactically , ffs , what were they thinking (they Clearly weren't thinking) .

I could never vote Tory Tactically , ffs , what were they thinking (they Clearly weren't thinking) .
There’s a lot of it going on. I expect to see even more tomorrow when the list votes are counted.

It now looks like the SNP won’t get their majority. They needed Dumbarton, and two of their gains are in regions they will now lose list MSPs in to compensate. Only Edinburgh Central gives them an “extra” in that sense.

There’s a lot of it going on. I expect to see even more tomorrow when the list votes are counted.

It now looks like the SNP won’t get their majority. They needed Dumbarton, and two of their gains are in regions they will now lose list MSPs in to compensate. Only Edinburgh Central gives them an “extra” in that sense.
The system is designed for no majority as far as I can see , to get close is remarkable.

It was.

Lib Dems: 7440
SNP: 2545

Lib Dems: 5803
SNP: 4997

ETA Hadn't realised Tavish Scott had stepped down. Maybe some element of personal vote?
There was a by election there a couple of years ago. We happened to be there on holiday at the time. I was slagging off Jared O’Mara (who’d just quit Labour) in the pub, turned around and there was Nicola bloody Sturgeon.

They made good gains then, got the majority down to 2k or something.

There was a by election there a couple of years ago. We happened to be there on holiday at the time. I was slagging off Jared O’Mara (who’d just quit Labour) in the pub, turned around and there was Nicola bloody Sturgeon.

They made good gains then, got the majority down to 2k or something.
I'd forgotten about Jared O'Mara , you were right to slag him off.

Another day of counting ahead. The remaining constituencies - including mine - and the lists.

Will the SNP squeeze a majority? (Unlikely now, but not totally impossible).
How well will the Tory’s “peach vote Tory to stop indyref2” strategy have worked in unifying the Unionist vote? (Probably ensure them MSP numbers in the 20s).

Will Alba lose all their deposits? (Yes).

Will the Greens get their MSP numbers into double figures? (Looks likely).

Will Sleepy Cuddles get drunk on live TV again? (Oh yes).

From the constitutional standpoint, there will be a mandate for a second independence referendum. This is the first Scottish general election since the June 2016 Brexit referendum, the result of which changed the nature of the Union the No vote of 2014 had agreed to stay in.

The SNP and the Greens had indyref2 on those grounds in their manifestos. Together they will form a parliamentary majority.

If Westminster (read - Johnson) says no to a second referendum in those circumstances, then that does change the nature of the Union in itself. It will no longer be a Union by agreement, but a Union by Westminster writ. In other words the Union will be over anyway.

That’s the circumstances that very few of the UK broadcasters are as yet understanding (Tom Bradby from ITV News at Ten one of the few to pick it up). Expect the realisation to slowly dawn as the day goes on.

This is another stupid question, but do you (pl) reckon independence is really and actually going to happen? It's difficult to get a feel for things, being down here.

This is another stupid question, but do you (pl) reckon independence is really and actually going to happen? It's difficult to get a feel for things, being down here.
I have the feeling it’s inevitable. But there’s a lot could happen first.

The biggest obstacle will be the pro Indy hotheads. They’ll want a referendum tomorrow. While I agree that Sturgeon is a better communicator and debater than a strategist, I think she is right to want the referendum some time down the line. She needs to be talking about economic recovery from the pandemic first. Only that way will she be able to win the soft No vote.

Those who want a referendum now forget that they still need to win it. Right now that’s 50/50 in the polls. Even a bit lower in some more recent ones. Like the mad arse Alba Party sect, the hotheads think the world outside of Twitter is the same as their bubble. It isn’t.

Sturgeon needs to sell stability and security. Note, she doesn’t actually need to do it, just sell it. She can do that. That’s her strength.

But if the Yes side don’t give her the space to do so, they’ll force her into holding a referendum before it can be won. And that would close the door on the question for decades to come.

So, my answer is: Yes but.

Who knows? A lot of flip-flopping with regards to opinion. I switched from definite no to definite yes (while realising I don't know precisely what that future will look like). Family members who had started moving towards yes have now switched back to Scottish Labour and are definite 'no's again... :facepalm: :D

Thanks danny la rouge. I was thinking along those lines but, as I said, a bit difficult to know being quite removed from it all. I do see shifts in my family on this (some of them soft 'no's) but I think there's still some way to go in convincing them about the currency/economic stuff although they've voted SNP/Green in this election. Boris Johnson is helping them along mind.

I suppose it's strange thinking it might actually happen and how much things have shifted politically even in my lifetime.

Who knows? A lot of flip-flopping with regards to opinion. I switched from definite no to definite yes (while realising I don't know precisely what that future will look like). Family members who had started moving towards yes have now switched back to Scottish Labour and are definite 'no's again... :facepalm: :D
Interesting. I don't think I know anyone who votes Labour in Scotland anymore. I mean when you have people like my sister's MIL (very Catholic, working class, Irish origin, in her late 80s) switching to the SNP as she did at Indyref, well, that says quite a lot, given she was Labour's natural constituency back in the day and certainly not the SNP's.

My mum and her husband were Labour party members for a long time. Think they left Labour and switched to SNP votes for a bit, but now seem to have shat it and are back voting Labour again... My mum, like me, might join the Greens though. They both gave list vote to the Greens.

Got to remember that the (millionaire) Labour leader's family business wouldn't even pay its employees the living wage. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Reactions: Sue
I have the feeling it’s inevitable. But there’s a lot could happen first.

The biggest obstacle will be the pro Indy hotheads. They’ll want a referendum tomorrow. While I agree that Sturgeon is a better communicator and debater than a strategist, I think she is right to want the referendum some time down the line. She needs to be talking about economic recovery from the pandemic first. Only that way will she be able to win the soft No vote.

Those who want a referendum now forget that they still need to win it. Right now that’s 50/50 in the polls. Even a bit lower in some more recent ones. Like the mad arse Alba Party sect, the hotheads think the world outside of Twitter is the same as their bubble. It isn’t.

Sturgeon needs to sell stability and security. Note, she doesn’t actually need to do it, just sell it. She can do that. That’s her strength.

But if the Yes side don’t give her the space to do so, they’ll force her into holding a referendum before it can be won. And that would close the door on the question for decades to come.

So, my answer is: Yes but.
If Independence is achieved, what would that do for the main parties , would the indy vote go back to Scottish Labour/Tories/Libdems? Would the SNP continue ? Would it still be a viable party?

If Independence is achieved, what would that do for the main parties , would the indy vote go back to Scottish Labour/Tories/Libdems? Would the SNP continue ? Would it still be a viable party?
At the moment, the SNP is a broad church and I reckon would pretty definitely no longer exist in its current form. Basically, it'd be all to play for and the only hope Labour (for example) has got of reinventing itself as a viable party is if independence happens.

Back
Top Bottom