Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge - news and chat

I can't remember there being much on the menu in Dharamshala besides momos. Which were bloody amazing. Though possibly the Indian/Punjabi cuisine may have been so dominant. Still, it was a place mostly populated by the Tibetan exiled community._

On a side-note. Tibetan cafes with fried egg and hash brown brekkies, toast and butter, and a cappuccino for a quid. I never went to yoga once either :D but I should have done the vipashna

Have I ever been to Hebden Bridge? Not sure. But I really want to; taking a nose around, I see it has a Tibetan restaurant - WOW, I would really
like to try that. Is it possible that Hebden has more pubs than places of worship?

I see tsampa and butter tea aren't on the menu. Not surprised, as even Dalai Lama said that nobody except Tibetans can stomach either. Would be a nicely authentic touch though, surely? Just to know, you know..

Bumping this as I am off to Hebden Bridge next week for the first time. Any tips? I'd like to get the bus to Haworth...find a nice cafe/pub, browse some independent shops, have something nice (and healthy) to eat, walk around...

Bumping this as I am off to Hebden Bridge next week for the first time. Any tips? I'd like to get the bus to Haworth...find a nice cafe/pub, browse some independent shops, have something nice (and healthy) to eat, walk around...
Bus to Haworth is a great idea :) I went to Hebden recently and it was lovely. Went to Haworth, enjoyed the ride there and the town(?!) Was lovely.

Plenty to do and see in Hebden. You can walk along the canal for a lovely flat stroll to Mytholmroyd or Todmorden...or further afield. I didn't venture anywhere hilly (lame!) but would be a good base for doing so i reckon.

Bit quiet Mon/Tues but trades club seems to be pretty banging with nice food on offer most nights!

If you're just there for the day I'm not sure I'd bother with the bus to Haworth - Haworth is probably worth a day trip in itself, especially if you're going to the museum and steam train. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Hebden, but it is nice to visit as a tourist. If you like a walk I'd recommend either up the canal to Todmorden (easy, plus you can get train or bus back, very regular service) or (much longer) up to Hardcastle Crags which gorgeous. Food in the Trades Club (tea time only) is great and reasonably priced. Lots of shops selling expensive tat, lots of cafes (personal favourite is Squeeze on Crown St) plenty of bars / pubs (my recommendations would be Drink! on Market St and the Fox and Goose, right on the western edge of town which is a community co-operative pub with great atmosphere and large outdoor area.

If you're coming on the train you'll likely be passing through Halifax which is well worth a visit these days too - the Piece Hall is five mins from the station and is stunning.

I've got quite a long day so thought I'd try and pack a lot in. Bit low in energy these days though so may just play it by ear and see how I'm feeling once I'm there. Thanks for all the recommendations.

To those who know Hebden Bridge - will I be ok just using cash? Due to a mix up with banking switchover (I was tempted by FirstDirects reward for switching), I won't have a debit card to use on the day. Or all weekend, from the look of it :/

To those who know Hebden Bridge - will I be ok just using cash? Due to a mix up with banking switchover (I was tempted by FirstDirects reward for switching), I won't have a debit card to use on the day. Or all weekend, from the look of it :/
I think so, most places. But I never use cash any more. I know the fancy wine shop is cashless but not heard other places are.

You can buy a prepaid visa credit/gift card in the supermarkets these days I think. Have a look at those.

Anyway I'm sure you'll have a fab time in Hebden, if you do get to Howarth be sure to have a brew in ForTeas. 1940s tea room. The lass that runs it is proper fun.

I had a tiring and full day. Walked up and down and all over the place.

It was quite a long journey from Sheffield - was glad I had a mask on my bag as a lady who sat near me had a hacking cough. Had a super friendly ticket inspector who told me he was from Hebden Bridge and proceeded to give me a list of recommendations :)

Tried to walk up the football to Heptenstall but it's all blocked off, so had to take an alternative route taking in part of the Pennine Way. Had a nice few hours pottering around Heptenstall, meeting animals and drinking tea.

Went round a few antique shops back down in Hebden Bridge and then just had a drink and some snacks down by the canal and read my book until my train home. Got back home at midnight, having walked almost 30,000 steps!

Back
Top Bottom