Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liverpool - places to go, food, drink and general news

The Baltic triangle is definitely the creative hub of Liverpool at the moment.

There are a few venues etc listed here:

baltictriangle.co.uk/venues

News From Nowhere, the radical bookshop on Bold Street, often has info about interesting happenings in the city.

It's my dad's birthday soon and he wants to go out for cocktails (we went to the Clock works in parr street last time I was up and it whet his appetite )

We're going out to eat later in Duke Street so places around Berry Street etc

berry and Rye is nice but I doubt it's bookable-is it?

Any ideas Merseyside people?

Berry & Rye is lovely. We went on a Thursday so wasn’t too busy.

I had a suggestion of Mowgli as a place to eat when I last visited which was lush.

Some pics from my last visit. Love Liverpool.

In photos: A drinking night out in Liverpool - Jimmy's, The Grapes and the Motel Bar

In photos: A drinking night out in Liverpool - Jimmy's, The Grapes and the Motel Bar

I love the grapes when I'm back home visiting. Proper old style pub. Used to climb into the bombed out church after closing with some plonk for me and my mates and a lovely homeless guy called Peter. Happy days.

Hi , going back to Liverpool in May & going to Invisible Wind Factory for all day music event.

looking for a air b&b for 5 people - what areas are close by please or where would you recommend?

I'd recommend Aigburth/sefton park. Good vegetarian places to eat in lark lane. There's loads of huge houses. Had a quick look and it averages about 90 quid a night. Looks like a minimum 2 night stay though. Or you could try the Georgian quarter which is closer, but they seem to have a minimum 2 night stay also.

Thank you.
What do you reckon to Bootle? Have found a nice house there.

we are doing 2 night. Driving from Brum after Oh Sees gig then hopefully a decent night sleep!

Thank you.
What do you reckon to Bootle? Have found a nice house there.

we are doing 2 night. Driving from Brum after Oh Sees gig then hopefully a decent night sleep!
If it's cheap and you;re just using it to sleep in then you can get a fairly cheap delta taxi back to Bootle,
In it's self there isn't really anything in Bootle to entertain

I'd also do Aigburth/ Sefton Park or Georgian quarter especially if there are five of you so the cost is shared more easily.

Thank you.

so place I have found is more Crosby though I put Bootle into air b&b. I have been round there before for ‘Another Place’.

The ideal would be close to venue but due to ££ that’s not possible.

I’m warming to idea of hangover by the beach!

Thank you.

so place I have found is more Crosby though I put Bootle into air b&b. I have been round there before for ‘Another Place’.

The ideal would be close to venue but due to ££ that’s not possible.

I’m warming to idea of hangover by the beach!

Crosby isn't close to the centre but you've got the beach, which is great.

Are you in a car?

Another option is Wavertree. There's one for £130 a night. It'll be a typical red brick terraced house, not much in the area itself but very close to the motorway, the city centre and a short drive from Sefton Park/ Lark Lane.

I'd do Wavertree. It's not expensive, it's dead easy off the M62, easy into town (buses and train). And an easy drive to Lark Lane for breakfast/brunch/lunch on Sunday.

When I looked I couldn't see anything that seemed worth the price in Aigburth or the Georgian Quarter. There's not a lot of choice!

Go with wavertree. Crosby is okay for the beach and Anthony gormley statues but the pubs are shite.

Went out in Liverpool over Christmas, first time in about ten years. Went to Bakchich, a Lebanese street food place on Bold Street. Was very good and not particularly pricey :)

We have requested to book the Bootle house which is actually in Waterloo. It’s a good price (£60 each for 2 nights), gives us 3 rooms & a hangover by the beach.

Thanks for help & suggestions, very much appreciated.

Interesting stuff about the The Welsh in Liverpool.

There are strong links between Liverpool and North Wales, indeed its very name is thought to have come from 'Lle'r pwll' - that is 'the place of the pool'. The Welsh travel for work, shopping, cultural events and nights out, while many Liverpudlians holiday in North Wales resorts.

This is illustrated by the large number of Welsh surnames still evident in the city, such as Hughes, Williams and Owens. The city centre's Pall Mall was known as 'Little Wales' and a chapel built in Toxteth was for a long time the largest Welsh Chapel in the world.

The 'Welsh Streets' in Liverpool are named after Welsh towns, valleys and villages, Ringo Starr for instance, was born at 9 Madryn Street and one of the stands at Everton F.C's Goodison Park is named the Gwladys Street Stand,. They were constructed by Welsh builders for Welsh immigrants and it is estimated that by 1850, over 20,000 Welsh builders were working within Liverpool.

There was a huge growth in rural to urban migration across the whole of the UK during the 19th century and Liverpool experienced dynamic industrialization and rapid urban development. The port became one of the world‟s largest and most important seaports, known as ‘Europe‟s gateway to the Atlantic’ with a financial and commercial centre that was second only to London.

Welsh Slate had been traditionally shipped from Liverpool and as the port grew, it attracted many people from the North Wales in search of work. So much so that by 1813, around 10% of Liverpool's residents were Welsh and it became known as the unofficial 'Capital of North Wales'.

A combination of factors including the proximity, the language, the chapel infrastructure and business success interacted to create a culturally rich and politically active Welsh community in the city, so much so that The National Eisteddfod was been held in Liverpool - 1840 - 1854 - 1884 - 1900 and 1929.

Back
Top Bottom