Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Mytholmroyd flooded again!

[QUOTE="moose, post: 14288037, member: 50"
I have to say that if I'd just lost my livelihood and my home, and came across this guy, I'd probably decline, not too politely.

View attachment 81387[/QUOTE]

Gary Glitter's lost weight.

Aaaaaaand we’re off again. Sowerby Bridge flooded. Tod and Hebden not looking great either.

Fuck’s sake :(

Just went to the river by the Navi in S Bridge, wasn't over the top. Is the old bridge in the centre flooded?

Just went to the river by the Navi in S Bridge, wasn't over the top. Is the old bridge in the centre flooded?

Cricket pitch is, not sure about the bridge, it’s coming up behind the baths too. Hopefully the defences will work.

You didn’t go anywhere near those new houses between the canal and the river at Copley did you? My mate has moved in there recently and I’m worried about them.

Tod mentioned here: Rail services and roads hit by flooding

There was a fair bit of water around on the Lancashire/North Yorkshire border between Lancaster/Hornby/Wray/Wennington going over to Ireby/Ingleton today - a few cars turning round rather than risking it etc. I had to go a different way home as it seemed safer if longer rather than using roads I knew would be covered in running water from the hills and fields.

Stay safe everyone

If you haven't already, have a read of
https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/re...nd-building/flooding/flood-recovery-programme

Avail yourself of any grant money for resilience/prevention stuff such as door guards and pumps and generators. Having worked on/during the floods in Lancaster and seeing the problems or can cause for months on end, not just the day or happens, I can only urge people to be prepared. Know what to do, where to go, who to call in advance.

My house is up the hill a bit, and so is the one I'm in process of buying - that is the wisest preparation in the Calder valley. But I've seen some very floody properties up for sale recently at silly expensive prices. Suppose people have short memories.
I live up on the tops above Hebden and at least two homes in our village had what was termed water ingress. I'm guessing water running off the moor got in under doors :(

I live up on the tops above Hebden and at least two homes in our village had what was termed water ingress. I'm guessing water running off the moor got in under doors :(

We use Floodsax now instead of sandbags for diverting water like this (ingress, running water etc.) They're really good and very effective but not cheap - but they are much lighter and easier to store than traditional sandbags. Available from lots of suppliers. Manufacturer based in Huddersfield.

I think they have a gel in them and when they get wet they swell, get heavy and become a barrier like a sandbag.

Back
Top Bottom