Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Mytholmroyd flooded again!

Yeah Greetland originally. Those woods were my playground as a kid! That 1m bank they built doesn't look to have worked then! How bad was it?

For some reason every time the Calder Valley floods I'm away on holiday. Back today just after the power went back on to my street, house fine. most of Tod seems to have recovered remarkably quickly. Feel a bit guilty to completely avoid any hardship and the worst part of the volunteering effort. I'll see if they need more help cleaning up the Golden Lion tomorrow as I'd like somewhere to go out on NYE.

Yeah Greetland originally. Those woods were my playground as a kid! That 1m bank they built doesn't look to have worked then! How bad was it?

Copley was pretty bad. I posted some pics earlier in the thread of Sowerby Bridge but it was Mytholmroyd and Hebden that took the worst of it I think.

Yeah went to S Bridge yesterday morning but they had it under control so we went to Hebden near Callis and helped do lots of swilling out =)

I've got my niece staying here tonight. She still has no electricity at home and the remains of her business are piled up on the street awaiting collection for the dump :(

Posted by a friend on fb earlier

So the army turned up but just seemed to consist of a couple of kids in camouflage gear eating a pizza outside Marcos. However a minibus of Sikhs from Slough were lovely. As were a group of men from Bradford with curries. Loads of people joined us shovelling shit out of the cellars yet I didn't see a police man or woman all day

My heart really goes out to everyone affected. Dad was flooded in hull in 2007 and whilst the house dried out, the repair work, the stuff we lost, the massive I,pact it had on his health, were just immeasurable. The long term effect too, insurance, worry, it all mounts up :(

I've got my niece staying here tonight. She still has no electricity at home and the remains of her business are piled up on the street awaiting collection for the dump :(

Is there anything I can do? I can't do much in terms of cracking on with it as Al is back to work but I can ferry about or help find 'stuff' she might need.

Is her house ok apart from the leccy?

Is there anything I can do? I can't do much in terms of cracking on with it as Al is back to work but I can ferry about or help find 'stuff' she might need.

Is her house ok apart from the leccy?
It's ok. Thanks though. She is sorted. Her house is fine apart from the electricity and her insurance will cover all the damage although getting insurance again will be difficult. There are many people here much worse off but it's those who's homes are trashed that are by far the worst hit.

Didn't realise there was a thread on here. Glad you're ok Shirl and Glitter, it must be heartbreaking to see, though. So many people uninsured, too, don't know how they'll get back on their feet. :(
It's been shit in parts of Salford and Manchester, too, but nothing like Yorkshire's had it. Roll on Wednesday when the next storm arrives :rolleyes:

I have to say that if I'd just lost my livelihood and my home, and came across this guy, I'd probably decline, not too politely.

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 23.22.54.png

But our nasty bastard tory mp doesn't give a toss about most of the Calder Valley. He knows he's hated in Hebden so won't be shouting for help for anyone here.

On R5 yesterday, "people (residents) hadn't prepared properly, late with their sandbags and flood boards"

Didn't realise there was a thread on here. Glad you're ok Shirl and Glitter, it must be heartbreaking to see, though. So many people uninsured, too, don't know how they'll get back on their feet. :(
It's been shit in parts of Salford and Manchester, too, but nothing like Yorkshire's had it. Roll on Wednesday when the next storm arrives :rolleyes:

I have to say that if I'd just lost my livelihood and my home, and came across this guy, I'd probably decline, not too politely.

View attachment 81387
He's a twat.

For some reason every time the Calder Valley floods I'm away on holiday. Back today just after the power went back on to my street, house fine. most of Tod seems to have recovered remarkably quickly. Feel a bit guilty to completely avoid any hardship and the worst part of the volunteering effort. I'll see if they need more help cleaning up the Golden Lion tomorrow as I'd like somewhere to go out on NYE.
I was in there about an hour ago. Still some tidying to do but open and they will be fine for NYE. :)(further flooding allowing)
I may be in there myself NYE so if you are in there I'll be the woman staring at everyone wondering if they are lazythursday :D

Last edited:
Thoughts with all affected :( Take care @Glitter @Shirl. York is looking grim this morning - we seem to have avoided the worst here in East Yorks.

@Sweet Meiga How's things with you? (not sure if you're in the area over Xmas).
Thank you for thinking about me - I'm not in the UK at the moment and the boyfriend's house is thankfully OK. A friend's flat's been flooded though.
Makes you feel really helpless, doesn't it? My heart goes out to everyone affected. x

Back
Top Bottom