Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge - news and chat

Goodbye lesley said:
Yeah but there is no direct route to Leeds and Bradford, you have to get off at Halifax.
yeah, but that's the same if you want to get to work [in Leeds] on time from Manchester:rolleyes: or go all over the place en route :rolleyes:

han said:
Anyone else a Hebden Bridge fan?

;)
I have been there about 5 times. My sister in law is into antiques and we used to go there as there's a few shops up that way that she likes.
Beautiful place. I have got some pics here somewhere.
I also like Haworth, where the Brontes lived. If we ever get around to moving out of London, this is one area of the country I would consider living in.

Goodbye lesley said:
Well we just have to disagree. Hebden bridge gone from industrial powerhouse and land of rough neck farmers,to a hippified ghetto in a generation.
And you blame this on a few lesbians and hippies, not the industrial decline which affected the rest of the North of England. I think Hebden Bridge would be in a much worse state if the 'alternative' types hadn't moved in.

Goodbye lesley said:
I wont say that about easy reach to other citys.There is no direct link to Leeds or Bradford for instance.
I think there is to Leeds and Manchester. But no mind, when the people I know moved to Hebden Bridge, there was a much, much better bus and train service throughout the country. If you're looking at why towns have developed the way they have, you have to look at "was" rather than "is".
:)

Read "Millstone Grit" by Glyn Hughes - nice write up about the decline of these towns / villiages - as industry changed in the 1970s (and the area chsnged to accomodate) - bit of a hippy himself.

Maggot said:
And you blame this on a few lesbians and hippies, not the industrial decline which affected the rest of the North of England. I think Hebden Bridge would be in a much worse state if the 'alternative' types hadn't moved in.

Indeed. Imagine what it would be like if a bunch of chavs got shipped in!

Has anyone camped there? (As in tent!) Does anyone recommend any B&Bs?

Well amazed that no one from Hebeden Bridge has posted in this thread yet, we get all over the place you know and I'd be very surpised if there aren't a few hebdenites on board somewhere.

Millstone grit is a good book but view from the bridge by John Morrison is far better (not very relevent to today but far better).

I have to go to bed now but tomorrow I'll write a full review of Hebden Bridge (bearing in mind I've been away from there for a year or two now).

Wolfie as far as I know lived in Mytholmroyd or some such place, I used to be in the same form as his son at school.

Excellent group & website (run by peeps I know----- NOT spamming btw)

Called penninepens

publishes the book (one of a trilogy) that psycherelic mentioned.

Excellent place, excellent people ! :cool:

Riff said:
Indeed. Imagine what it would be like if a bunch of chavs got shipped in!

By chav I take it you mean young working class. Yep imagine what it would be like with the descedents of the mills living there. Do you think it would be different?

Hebden Bridge rail link: As has been mentioned, there IS good connections from Hebden to Leeds, Manchester etc. There's 3 trains an hour. There is the York to Blackpool or York to Manchester. Both of these stop in Leeds, Bradford, and Huddersfield.

soulman: Chavs = young working class now, eh?

I'd like to think I avoid all the trappings of chav-dom, and I'm 23 and from a working family. Yet I'm still a chav? :rolleyes:

S'funny, I drove through Hebden Bridge yesterday afternoon and - who'd a thought it - there's a thread about it on Urban next time I look.

First time i'd seen it and it seemed a nice wee place. There's a lot of shithole towns round here so it's nice to see one that's successfully getting a new existence

Maidmarian said:
Excellent group & website (run by peeps I know----- NOT spamming btw)

Called penninepens

publishes the book (one of a trilogy) that psycherelic mentioned.

Excellent place, excellent people ! :cool:

I wonder if my friend is in/ knows that. He's another poet (maybe he knows Kea's uncle???)

Fez909 said:
soulman: Chavs = young working class now, eh?

I'd like to think I avoid all the trappings of chav-dom, and I'm 23 and from a working family. Yet I'm still a chav? :rolleyes:

There's been loads of discussion about this elsewhere on the boards but yes I think it's shorthand for a section of the working class. I didn't introduce the term on this thread just picked up on it.

hebden bridge picture house. top place. saw john shuttleworth there a couple of years ago.

i grew up in sowerby bridge, so we used to jump on the train and go drinking with my mates from hebden. less chance of getting my face smashed in than there was in sowerby :)

only ever seem to get over there for the bonfire these days.

Got to this thread late. Must visit Hebden Bridge SOON!!! -- never been. When we are vehicled up we'll be along, not far from Stig's friends near Holmfirth either.

Goodbye lesley -- another incarnation of swarthy it would seem (from another thread which resulted in his banning).

His thoroughly bigotted, shitstirrring and obnoxious posts on this thread no doubt explain why 'swarthy thug' is such a cult hero to the more trolling and modbothering and disruptive 'usual suspects ' (serial malcontents and 'the editor is an oppressor' merchants :rolleyes: ).

Nice pals you pick, arseholes.

missed this thread - doh!
Shirl and I lived there or thereabouts for over ten years.
goodbye wotsisface obviously a trolling wanker - hence the ban :)

there's actually quite a good mix of people in the place - they aren't all poncey designer hippies like me and shirl ;)

Whoever mentioned the Sculpture Trail - I used to help organise that - this year was unfortunately its last - they obviously couldn't manage without me ;)

All being well (ie if we can sell our present house) we are indeed moving back there.

And for anyone one who cares - Glyn Hughes nickname locally is Grim News ;) :D

We will make sure to let you know if we get the hippybus** up there ... :cool: :)

**Currently a future pipedream rather than a current reality, but it ought to come about within a matter of months ...

Hebden Bridge is ace, it's like Florida for hippies. Assuming it remains ungentrified it'll be ace in about 15 years when the old guard are really getting on. I bloody love old hippies, me. I always wonder how Hebden Bridge became what it is today. Does anyone better informed than I know what the catalyst was in the seventies for the influx of artists, weirdos and lesbians?

We tried to arrange a West Yorks meet up but it didn't come to anything. Perhaps we could organise a Hebden night out for when some of the southern-based Urbaners come up?

Spion said:
We tried to arrange a West Yorks meet up but it didn't come to anything. Perhaps we could organise a Hebden night out for when some of the southern-based Urbaners come up?

Yes! Whatever went wrong with our Leeds meet up can be amended. Trains to H B thunder past my house. Two an hour I think!

Spion said:

well up for that. hole in the wall or the shoulder of mutton :)

we still need to have a west yorks pub meet sometime. saltaire maybe ?

So are we waiting for the 'southern contingent' to get their arses up here like or arranging summat a bit earlier like????

poet said:
I always wonder how Hebden Bridge became what it is today. Does anyone better informed than I know what the catalyst was in the seventies for the influx of artists, weirdos and lesbians?

Alas, I know. Apparently, a lot of northern artists and hippies moved there in the seventies because Hebden Bridge is apparently on a ley line. Even now they do white witch ceremonies in the old church in Heptonstall, much to the upset of the Northern locals.

I know Hebden Bridge extremely well; I was born and grew up there. My father's family are from Hebden Bridge, going back centuries. Indeed, our family name originates from Heptonstall in the 12 century. My father, aunt, grandparents, great grandparents were all born in Hebden Bridge, and my great aunt and uncle are buried two rows behind Sylvia Plath in Heptonstall.

In the seventies, there were a lot of millionaire hippies in Hebden Bridge - not so now. They moved on sometime in the 80s; now it tends to be m/c alternative types now.

Thing is the point about the absence of the traditional working class is because they have been priced out of the housing market. The house my father grew up in (two up, two down w/c job) is now worth well over £170K. All the old locals I know complain about "them Southerners taking over our town; it doesn't feel like home anymore". And I can see their point to some extent.

When I was young, the place seemed like the heart of age-old existence. A lot of people still lived the way they'd lived a hundred years ago: no TVs, earth floors, no fridges, wood fires, outside loo et al. Quite a few old timers still counted in the old way, and the dialect was so strong, sometimes my grandma had to explain to me what people were saying.

It is a shame this has gone because the area around Hebden Bridge is a special place, and these things just added to the eternal atmosphere of the place. Hebden Bridge has a magical feel to it, an ancient feel . . . it gets into your blood.

Dissident Junk said:
Alas, I know. Apparently, a lot of northern artists and hippies moved there in the seventies because Hebden Bridge is apparently on a ley line. Even now they do white witch ceremonies in the old church in Heptonstall, much to the upset of the Northern locals.

I know Hebden Bridge extremely well; I was born and grew up there. My father's family are from Hebden Bridge, going back centuries. Indeed, our family name originates from Heptonstall in the 12 century. My father, aunt, grandparents, great grandparents were all born in Hebden Bridge, and my great aunt and uncle are buried two rows behind Sylvia Plath in Heptonstall.

In the seventies, there were a lot of millionaire hippies in Hebden Bridge - not so now. They moved on sometime in the 80s; now it tends to be m/c alternative types now.

Thing is the point about the absence of the traditional working class is because they have been priced out of the housing market. The house my father grew up in (two up, two down w/c job) is now worth well over £170K. All the old locals I know complain about "them Southerners taking over our town; it doesn't feel like home anymore". And I can see their point to some extent.

When I was young, the place seemed like the heart of age-old existence. A lot of people still lived the way they'd lived a hundred years ago: no TVs, earth floors, no fridges, wood fires, outside loo et al. Quite a few old timers still counted in the old way, and the dialect was so strong, sometimes my grandma had to explain to me what people were saying.

It is a shame this has gone because the area around Hebden Bridge is a special place, and these things just added to the eternal atmosphere of the place. Hebden Bridge has a magical feel to it, an ancient feel . . . it gets into your blood.

How old are you? Surely you wouldn't expect people to be using outdoor toilets now????

Back
Top Bottom