Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hebden Bridge - news and chat

kea said:
lesley, the point you are overlooking is that not everyone who lives there bought their house yesterday.

Indeed!

And what's a designer lesbian anyway?!

All the lesbians I saw there seemed a bit 80s, actually, all rainbow socks and dungarees. ;)

Lesbians, as a section of society, are rarely loaded, in fact they are usually lower earners - remember, women still earn alot less than men.

Throbbing Angel said:
veh relaxed. ahh memories, was the bass player in a reggae band for a while with a few people from Hebden. Always stop off for a pint as en route to Bronte town [Haworth] as Hebden is the logical 1/2way point between Manchester-ester-shire and Haworth

glad ya liked it Han :)

Tis a lovely place innit :) Am deffo going to go and visit me chum on her boat in the spring! (There was ice on the river when were last there, it was bloody freezing).

Are you in Manchester, Throbbing? (oo-er)

han said:
They're grown in test tubes in labs, so you can pick the colour of their eyes! Very popular stocking filler for this Christmas apparently.

han said:
Indeed!

All the lesbians I saw there seemed a bit 80s, actually, all rainbow socks and dungarees. ;)

Lesbians, as a section of society, are rarely loaded, in fact they are usually lower earners - remember, women still earn alot less than men.

I think the lesbian angle is a bit of a rod horring.Rich crusties then.

Goodbye lesley said:
What so there turned in to hippies overnight.
I think she's suggesting people may have bought houses years ago, when prices were different. Was that not obvious?

Who knows, maybe the lesbain hippy atmosphere of Hebden converted people... :eek:

Thora said:
I think she's suggesting people may have bought houses years ago, when prices were different. Was that not obvious?

Who knows, maybe the lesbain hippy atmosphere of Hebden converted people... :eek:

Well we just have to disagree. Hebden bridge gone from industrial powerhouse and land of rough neck farmers,to a hippified ghetto in a generation.

Goodbye lesley said:
Well we just have to disagree. Hebden bridge gone from industrial powerhouse and land of rough neck farmers,to a hippified ghetto in a generation.
I don't particularly see a problem with it being a hippified ghetto though.

Thora said:
If John Nokes looks like 20 something women and young families with babies then I agree with you.

Yes he just look like that.

Shep.jpg

so it's not that property prices are rising which is the problem, per se, it's the tofu-eating?
weird sense of priorities you've got.

Thora said:
You're right - those gays, blacks and single mothers are a bit shifty looking too.

Oh yeah me saying "never trust a hippy" also means i dont trust gays ,blacks and single mothers.Are you saying that hippies are some sort of persecuted minority now.

han said:
Tis a lovely place innit :) Am deffo going to go and visit me chum on her boat in the spring! (There was ice on the river when were last there, it was bloody freezing).

Are you in Manchester, Throbbing? (oo-er)
live just outside now [ex-Deansgate dweller-got bored] might be moving back to the centre soon tho' as I'm doing my masters in Mcr

this thread has prompted a 'shall we move to hebden in a few years' discussion in our house

yay!

right, now what the fuck is a housing co-op? :) :D

kea said:
so it's not that property prices are rising which is the problem, per se, it's the tofu-eating?
weird sense of priorities you've got.

Both!. Its lost its Yorkshire grit and Independence it now resembles some haight asbury museum.

Throbbing Angel said:
right, now what the fuck is a housing co-op? :) :D
Housing co-ops are just shared houses, but they're owned by the tenants rather than rented, so you don't end up paying high rents to private landlords. For example I know people in housing co-ops in London who only pay £40 a week for a room, pretty damn cheap by London standards. You could try looking at Radical Routes site - they help finance co-ops http://www.radicalroutes.org.uk/housing.html

Thora said:
Housing co-ops are just shared houses, but they're owned by the tenants rather than rented,

What do you mean - they are owned by the tenants? Surely that is a contradiction in terms?

Goodbye lesley said:
Never trust a hippy.
Oh dear.

I know a lot of people in Hebden Bridge. They moved there 30 years ago, precisely because the housing was extremely cheap, it's picturesque and is easy to reach major conurbations (if you have the need). I'd say the proportion of Lesbians is probably higher than average, but no more than some parts of inner cities (round here for example).

Geri said:
What do you mean - they are owned by the tenants? Surely that is a contradiction in terms?
OK - so maybe that's not technically accurate. The way the Radical Routes ones work is that the house is owned by a company, of which all tenants are directors. The tenants then pay rent to the company. Better?

Thora said:
Housing co-ops are just shared houses, but they're owned by the tenants rather than rented, so you don't end up paying high rents to private landlords.

Oh yes, Radical Routes are great aren't they :)

Loads of peeps have set up fab housing co-ops and communities with their advice and it's a great umbrella organisation for diggers and dreamers, ahhh :)

Thora said:
For example I know people in housing co-ops in London who only pay £40 a week for a room, pretty damn cheap by London standards. You could try looking at Radical Routes site - they help finance co-ops http://www.radicalroutes.org.uk/housing.html

Are you talking about the Sanford one in New Cross?

reallyoldhippy said:
Oh dear.

I know a lot of people in Hebden Bridge. They moved there 30 years ago, precisely because the housing was extremely cheap, it's picturesque and is easy to reach major conurbations (if you have the need). I'd say the proportion of Lesbians is probably higher than average, but no more than some parts of inner cities (round here for example).

I wont say that about easy reach to other citys.There is no direct link to Leeds or Bradford for instance.

Thora said:
OK - so maybe that's not technically accurate. The way the Radical Routes ones work is that the house is owned by a company, of which all tenants are directors. The tenants then pay rent to the company. Better?

Indeed - the co-operative own the house and the members of the co-operative pay themselves their own rent - voila!

Goodbye lesley said:
I wont say that about easy reach to other citys.There is no direct link to Leeds or Bradford for instance.

there's a train station (or at least there was last time I was there). Still has an authentic ladies waiting room...

Maddalene said:
there's a train station (or at least there was last time I was there). Still has an authentic ladies waiting room...

Yeah but there is no direct route to Leeds and Bradford, you have to get off at Halifax.

Back
Top Bottom