Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you ever been to an album listening party?

Kind of. Went to the Burna Boy launch party for his latest record and I just assumed he'd be performing. Instead we just watched him chain smoke blunts on stage and listened to the record on an enormous sound system whilst ppl screamed and took selfies.

What are you going to listen to?

Steve Lamacq (I think) used to do a thing on a Wednesday where he would play a whole album. That was ok.

I bought a ticket without reading the details cos a mate tipped me off about it as a mutual acquaintance of ours is involved with the event. It’s more than a listening party, it’s an art event or something. One of those brainy things that make me stupid. There’s live music of some sort too.

D’Angelo - Voodoo
Completely passed me by at the time (2000), and only vaguely aware of him, so will listen to it a couple of times before the event.
Or maybe I should go in dry.
Either way I’m gonna get baked to fuck beforehand.
Pop into the nearest Brewdog and make a night of it

During the pandemic Tim Burgess organised loads of listening parties on Twitter. You all started listening to the album at the same time, and some of the artists involved would tweet their memories of making it. Went to loads of those.

D’Angelo - Voodoo
Completely passed me by at the time (2000), and only vaguely aware of him, so will listen to it a couple of times before the event.
Or maybe I should go in dry.
Either way I’m gonna get baked to fuck beforehand.
Good album but too long. His first one would be better for something like that.

Belgrave do these semi-regularly Orang Utan - I haven't been to one, either, so not sure what to expect. I think the one you're going to will be sit in silence and enjoy, but in Belgrave, I can't imagine that. Maybe people chat while it's on? Kind of defeats the purpose I think, but I just can't see people sat in silence in a pub for over an hour.

Also, there's a Brewdog in Leeds. It's actually pretty good. Has shuffleboard tables and arcade games. Opposite Belgrave, coincidentally :)

I went a pre-release listening party for Radiohead's Kid A. Sat on cushions in a circle listening to the album through headphones.

It was held by Parlophone upstairs in a barn at Camden Market.

I felt fairly uncomfortable from what I can remember. They stopped serving booze during the playback. I couldn't wait to get to the pub.

No it sounds weird to me, every party I've been to has had music on in the background but parties are for drinking, chatting and though not these days for me, trying to score with the opposite sex.
The idea of just sitting there and listening to an album strikes me as weird. I love listening to music but it is done at home in a comfy chair listening to my own choices

I’ve been in a room with people so fucking stoned on hash and shrooms/acid that no one could speak for the duration of several albums many times in the past. However that was more accidental than by design. It certainly is the way to really get into an album though. Stone cold sober or just a small glass of wine sounds a tad pretentious to me.

Back
Top Bottom