Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gritty sitcom remakes

Yossarian

⏭️
Fresh-Prince of Bel Air is being rebooted as gritty drama Bel-Air.

Which makes me wonder what other sitcoms of the '80s and '90s will be getting gritty remakes if this become a trend - I could maybe see a depressing reboot of Cheers, with Ted Danson playing an aging bartender who can't afford to retire but is getting sick of booting out weeping, incoherent drunks like Cliff Clavin every night.

1641936581626.png

When I watched the episode in the original Star Trek TV series where the Enterprise went back in time to the Earth in the 20th century and then Kirk & Co strived to get back to the 23rd century (I googled it, the episode is "Tomorrow is Yesterday") I always thought a more likely scenario was that the crew would decide to stay, conquer the Earth and subjugate the population as slaves.

Lots of potential here. ‘Allo ‘Allo, Blackadder or Dad’s Army to name but three are loaded with dark themes potential.

I still haven't got over them remaking Sabrina The Teenage Witch, light-hearted 90s teen sitcom with a sassy talking cat, as a shit self-serious (is that a word? you know what I mean anyway) gothic drama with no sassy talking cat in it. Cunts. I think they should go the other way, remake The Wire and Breaking Bad and Mad Men and all that as sitcoms with sassy talking cats in.

Millions of years after he was put in suspended animation, the last human alive slowly goes insane from grief and isolation on a mining spacecraft, accompanied only by his bizarre hallucinations.
I was going to mention this one. In the books Lister originally goes mad and almost dies drinking whiskey in grief and despair etc.

The effect a selfish, bigamist, time-travelling television repairman has on those around him in the 1990's and WWII.

Chuckle Brothers

_42857501_chuckle416.jpg

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix was a horror orientated remake of the 90s sitcom Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Mocking Bird Lane also was an attempt to turn The Munsters into a darker, horror orientated series, but it never made it past the pilot.

The Netflix Lost in Space is a far darker and more serious remake of the 60s series, which while not a sitcom, often came close, especially from season 2 onwards.

Last edited:
Snobbish Torquay hotel owner has offending guests walled up alive, or disposed of in the laundry basket.

"Manuel" - a Barcelona man being pursued by a drug trafficking gang after an unfortunate mix-up finds work in one of the last places anybody would think of looking for him: A run-down hotel in post-Brexit Torquay.

But his poor English and nervous disposition make his working life difficult, and it's not helped by the constant verbal and physical abuse from the deeply unpleasant gammon who owns the place.

I was going to mention this one. In the books Lister originally goes mad and almost dies drinking whiskey in grief and despair etc.
I love the books. First one ends with
him deciding to stay in Better Than Life and die because his reality is too depressing
doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom